Medical for HRO

Convicted Driver Insurance

gary96

Hi,

I've been on here reading the supposed rule changes to DVLA criteria, regarding people with low CDTs being refused due to having a drink in the last 6 months or so. Does anyone have any experience of this? And if so, is it best to just not admit to drinking recently? My reduction for driving is in August and I'm worried that even with a low CDT, this will ruin my chance of getting it back?

Hi,

I've been on here reading the supposed rule changes to DVLA criteria, regarding people with low CDTs being refused due to having a drink in the last 6 months or so. Does anyone have any experience of this? And if so, is it best to just not admit to drinking recently? My reduction for driving is in August and I'm worried that even with a low CDT, this will ruin my chance of getting it back?
Do you have anything in your medical records related to alcohol issues in the past.

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum, the only time Dvla will stop or revoke your license is that if on writing out to your Gp they find alcohol issues that has NOT been addressed/controlled ie dependency or misuse, most of the posts you’re reading is from previous drink related issues that have been classed as dependent, whilst they jump through the hoops and remain abstinent for 12 months then regaining a 1 year license, only to admit to a small amount of alcohol when applying for their second license resulting in a revoked licence, if you or anyone else has been classed as dependent in order for you to keep your license abstinence is for life ….

Do you have anything in your medical records related to alcohol issues in the past.

I went following my conviction saying that I was misusing alcohol but not sure if it's been fully admitted - since then I've been to the GP and said my alcohol usage was down to 5 units a week. My last drink was Christmas so I'm worried they'll use the misuse rather than the up to date part

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum, the only time Dvla will stop or revoke your license is that if on writing out to your Gp they find alcohol issues that has NOT been addressed/controlled ie dependency or misuse, most of the posts you’re reading is from previous drink related issues that have been classed as dependent, whilst they jump through the hoops and remain abstinent for 12 months then regaining a 1 year license, only to admit to a small amount of alcohol when applying for their second license resulting in a revoked licence, if you or anyone else has been classed as dependent in order for you to keep your license abstinence is for life ….
Hi Honestman - as far as I'm aware, I've never been been diagnosed with dependendancy, only a letter saying they were concerned at my drinking level following my conviction. Since then, my medical records have been updated with only 5 units a week in November and no alcohol since December. Just wondering how stringent they are with CDT and how long it takes to filter down to less than 0.5%.

I went following my conviction saying that I was misusing alcohol but not sure if it's been fully admitted - since then I've been to the GP and said my alcohol usage was down to 5 units a week. My last drink was Christmas so I'm worried they'll use the misuse rather than the up to date part
I am assuming you are classed as HRO so are required to do a dvla medical

Hi Honestman - as far as I'm aware, I've never been been diagnosed with dependendancy, only a letter saying they were concerned at my drinking level following my conviction. Since then, my medical records have been updated with only 5 units a week in November and no alcohol since December. Just wondering how stringent they are with CDT and how long it takes to filter down to less than 0.5%.
It could be the case during your conviction time you was quite possibly noted as misuse, however it seems you have addressed your alcohol issues with the Gp which would of been noted, and one of the questions Dvla want to know regardless of your alcohol history: is the patient’s alcohol consumption controlled, and in your case it seems it has so don’t worry to much, cdt will only test for heavy drinking over the previous month ,..

It could be the case during your conviction time you was quite possibly noted as misuse, however it seems you have addressed your alcohol issues with the Gp which would of been noted, and one of the questions Dvla want to know regardless of your alcohol history: is the patient’s alcohol consumption controlled, and in your case it seems it has so don’t worry to much, cdt will only test for heavy drinking over the previous month ,..
Thank you, that's really put my mind at ease

Yes I am, but I'm wondering whether the 6/12 month abstinence is a real criteria
Only if they write to your Gp and you have past issues with alcohol otherwise you should be fine. Might be worth requesting access to your full medical records and you can see what is actually on them.

Only if they write to your Gp and you have past issues with alcohol otherwise you should be fine. Might be worth requesting access to your full medical records and you can see what is actually on them.
Already messaged my GP to see what is actually on there - on the online platform, says no problems but that the GP might not show all of it online

Already messaged my GP to see what is actually on there - on the online platform, says no problems but that the GP might not show all of it online
I had to fill a form out took a couple of weeks but i have full access to my medical records now. If you have good support of your own doctor that is a big factor. Low CDT count below 1% abstaining at least a month and gp onboard are the main factors.

I had to fill a form out took a couple of weeks but i have full access to my medical records now. If you have good support of your own doctor that is a big factor. Low CDT count below 1% abstaining at least a month and gp onboard are the main factors.
How did you manage to get them onboard if you don't mind me asking?

How did you manage to get them onboard if you don't mind me asking?
Basically i went to the Gp and asked for regular LFT to support my application to regain my licence i have continued to do this every few months for the last 3 years. Its something the dvla seem to accept as proof of abstaining from alcohol along with gp support. I regained my licence and was no longer classed as hro on my last application form i put down 6 units every other week they have now revoked me and asked to prove another 12 months abstaining what a pickle.

All this is doing is making forum members lie both to their GP's and on the form they return to the DVLA. If someone high up in the organisation has decided this is the best way forward to take drunk drivers off the road, then it is going to have the opposite effect.

All this is doing is making forum members lie both to their GP's and on the form they return to the DVLA. If someone high up in the organisation has decided this is the best way forward to take drunk drivers off the road, then it is going to have the opposite effect.
Absolutely right! But honestly how ridiculous is that??🤦🏻‍♀️

So basically you just better off saying you haven’t had a drink? But then if you haven’t had a drink for so long and you say your last date of drinking which may be a year or couple years ago will they not think you have a problem anyway because you haven’t had a drink in so long? This is what I found upon some research. This is the form the dvla send to the gp. From my understanding They will send this form after the dvla medical if you are classed as a Hro and get info from your gp aswell.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off