Medical examination for drug testing help

Convicted Driver Insurance

jabberwokie

Sorry if this if this has already been discussed but it has been very hard to find much information on the web.

I had my license revoked over a year ago due to diazepam misuse/dependence as well as a stay in hospital due to depression and an unfortunate suicide attempt. I am fine now thankfully. I have no convictions on my license at all and should also add that I do not nor have ever really drunk much alcohol.

I have my medical exam at a local doctors soon (which the the DVLA have paid for). I only know this will include a urine sample. What else can I expect? Do they test for all drugs? Not sure if a blood test is required too. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
The urine sample tests for all drugs, it can detect
cocaine, heroin, speed, methadone, benzo's, ecstacy, cannabis, subutex and morphine(all opiates including co-codamol.) A positive for any of these substances will cause an automatic fail so if you're a light weed user or anything like that I would stop well in advance of the medical, give yourself 30 days for it to completely leave your system. Most drugs leave your system much faster than 30 days but it's the length of time I would give it just incase. Good luck!

**Just an edit to my comment, normal use of co-codamol isn't enough to fail the rest, you would only test positive for it if you were abusing it.

Thank you for your reply. I am not worried about any of the above drugs, though I have taken some pregabalin this week for pain. Will they be looking for this in the test (since it’s not mentioned on the website) ? Very anxious now and hope it’s out of my system by next week.

Just take your prescription with you and tell them you've been prescribed pregabalin for pain, as you abused a benzo it's more than likely your test will be the 12 panel check and will include a depressants check, pregabalin and gabapentin fall in this category. Even the box with your name etc printed on it should be fine to take with you. A single use should take 7-9 days to leave your system, regular use will increase that time frame.

Unfortunately I did not have a prescription for it. I have taken the test (and urine test). I am absolutely beside myself with worry now. Since pregabalin is an anticonvulsant, and is not on the list of prohibited drugs will they detect it? I know they’ll primarily be looking for benzodiazepines since this is the drug I have abused in the past.
Can anyone put my mind at ease? I’m truly hoping they won’t be looking for it unless requested.

Pregabalin is now a class C drug, I'm sorry that I can't put your mind at ease but there is a chance that it will be tested for thanks to its recent classification as a controlled substance. You were revoked for misusing one substance and now a year later you're misusing another substance without prescription. All I can say is you knew for a year that you would be drug tested but still used a substance illegally up until the time of the test. You can only hope that DVLA request a standard panel rather than an enhanced panel, it's use will not show up on a standard panel but an enhanced panel will test for a lot of substances not found on the standard panel.

I actually wasn’t abusing this drug. I took it very occasionally when I had pain. Also I bought the packet from an online pharmacy before it was classified as a controlled drug.
I truly don’t know what I’ll do if I fail this medical. My life will be over. I wish I had more insight into what kind of test they use. I didn’t know of an enhanced one. Only the 12 panel. Would they really take the time to look for something they don’t know I’ve had before? Wouldn’t they be concentrating on the Diazepam aspect? Utterly desperate now.

Grice96 knows more than me about the drugs that are tested for at the medical under your circumstances.
Whilst Pregabalin was only made a class C drug in April this year, it has always been a prescription only drug, so if it was bought from an online pharmacy you should have had to go through the prescription process so you just get a copy of that to show if you test positive for it.........unless it was an unlicensed one from abroad?
If it was, then it can only presumed that you could not get a prescription for it and Grice96 is right to say that you were abusing a drug. They are prescribed for a reason and part of the prescription process is an evaluation on the interaction with other medication that you may be taking, including the likely effect on driving.
Did you research Pregabalin before getting it? It appears to be a longer term drug rather than an occasional pain relief (there are much better pain relief medications available for most disorders) you can read about it here, including side effects that could have a big impact on driving, and note the large risk of suicidal thoughts. With your admitted history, you should really only take this under medical supervision.

It was from a UK pharmacy (which I can see no longer sells it). Unfortunately I can’t take many other pain meds. Pregabalin is certainly not something I’ve used recreationally or for a high like many others. Surely they can’t test for every controlled drug out there.

Pregabalin and it's offshoot Gabapentin have required a prescription with a doctor's signature since the mid 2000's, if a pharmacy was selling it to you they have been majorly breaking the law as this rule has been in place for years before it was Classified as a class C this year. Taking any prescription medication without a valid prescription is classed as abuse by the DVLA and by anyone in the medical field on that matter, even if you only took it once every few weeks for a bit of pain they look at it in a very black and white manner. Pregabalin is a long term medication, when used for pain it is only given for chronic pain and has to be used on a daily basis as stopping pregabalin has very serious side effects.

As you've said before, you abused bezos and this is what they are looking for on the test, but you can't rule out the chance that they will detect the other medication you've been taking. I don't know your personal circumstances, but a year ago you were revoked for abusing medication and now a year later you are still abusing medication by taking a drug you haven't been prescribed. If you have no piece of paper saying "Jabberwokie has been prescribed this medication from date X to date X" then in the eyes of the law and the DVLA you are still abusing medication. I know you've come to this forum seeking solace but the scenario you've put forward is the same as having alcohol dependence on your medical history and continuing to drink before the medical. I hope the test goes well for you, but if it does do not consider driving when taking pregabalin you'll have the same reaction times as someone who is a few pints deep.

Thank you for your reply. There were many online pharmacies that sold pregabalin in the UK. I assumed it was legal since it wasn’t a classified drug at the time. You are certainly right about driving on it and it’s effects.
Right now I’m still waiting for a decision. What is the general timeframe for knowing? I’ve checked online that is still says the same thing that I do not have any current driving entitlement.
I’ve done everything in my power to get to the place I am now. Fingers crossed for a decision soon.
Can anyone who has done a similar test let me know how long i took.

Have you looked at the online pharmacy's notes? When you bought this you would've done a survey/questionnaire and then you would've been prescribed it by their "doctor". (whether people agree with this process or not, you would've still been given a legit prescription and legally been allowed it if you did that survey and was prescribed it online) so you could just print that out and supply that to the DVLA and they would accept that as a legit prescription.

You should look at the online pharmacy and find details about the stuff you were prescribed, print off the proof you were given a prescription and that should be good enough for the DVLA.

Unless you got it illegally from some unlicensed pharmacy, but I wouldnt know if those exist in the UK. Also the online pharmacy would've had a logo (see attached) which is linked to the site below

https://medicine-seller-register.mhra.gov.uk/search-registry/XXXX (ID of online pharmacy would be here)

Attachments

• 2019-06-23 10_38_45 .png
    2019-06-23 10_38_45 .png
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
I did go though a proper questionnaire and consultation with the online doctor. They seemed very professional. The problem is I haven’t told the DVLA I’ve took it.
What is the general timeframe at the moment to get results and a decision?
Thank again.

Pregabalin is now a class C drug, I'm sorry that I can't put your mind at ease but there is a chance that it will be tested for thanks to its recent classification as a controlled substance. You were revoked for misusing one substance and now a year later you're misusing another substance without prescription. All I can say is you knew for a year that you would be drug tested but still used a substance illegally up until the time of the test. You can only hope that DVLA request a standard panel rather than an enhanced panel, it's use will not show up on a standard panel but an enhanced panel will test for a lot of substances not found on the standard panel.

The urine sample tests for all drugs, it can detect
cocaine, heroin, speed, methadone, benzo's, ecstacy, cannabis, subutex and morphine(all opiates including co-codamol.) A positive for any of these substances will cause an automatic fail so if you're a light weed user or anything like that I would stop well in advance of the medical, give yourself 30 days for it to completely leave your system. Most drugs leave your system much faster than 30 days but it's the length of time I would give it just incase. Good luck!
Hi,I have my medical on the 23rd of this month,I get short term use of 2ml diazepam prescribed by my to attend appointments I have as I struggle bad with anxiety and my doctor will confirm this when contacted by the dvla would this still cause me to fail? lost my licence due to alcohol not misuse of drugs do you think this will be ok they only get prescribed every other month and as I said it is on prescription and the doctor will confirm this,any information would be really appreciated

The blood test will only be for checking your CDT score, it will not be tested for drugs.
You should declare the Diazepam on the medical questionnaire, as it will look bad for you if you say you are on no medication and they check with your GP, only to find that you have not been honest.
At that small, occasional, use it will be no problem for being able to drive. It might be better to describe it as ‘mild’ anxiety (Which I would read as correct for such a small dose) because if you say that you ‘struggle bad’ with anxiety, that could trigger further enquiries and delay you driving again.

The blood test will only be for checking your CDT score, it will not be tested for drugs.
You should declare the Diazepam on the medical questionnaire, as it will look bad for you if you say you are on no medication and they check with your GP, only to find that you have not been honest.
At that small, occasional, use it will be no problem for being able to drive. It might be better to describe it as ‘mild’ anxiety (Which I would read as correct for such a small dose) because if you say that you ‘struggle bad’ with anxiety, that could trigger further enquiries and delay you driving again.
Thanks alot mate it's really appreciated I got kinda worried when I seen the other post about refusal if any Benzos found in your system,you have put my mind at ease and I will do just that and describe it as mild anxiety,thanks again mate

Hi,I have my medical on the 23rd of this month,I get short term use of 2ml diazepam prescribed by my to attend appointments I have as I struggle bad with anxiety and my doctor will confirm this when contacted by the dvla would this still cause me to fail? lost my licence due to alcohol not misuse of drugs do you think this will be ok they only get prescribed every other month and as I said it is on prescription and the doctor will confirm this,any information would be really appreciated
Hi Dee1990, you have my sincere sympathy having to go through this process, I am going through the same process, and I won't sugar coat it, it is a daunting experience, and will be especially tough if you suffer from anxiety related to your appointments. Did you receive a questionnaire regarding what drugs/medications you have taken in the last 3 years, and if so did you declare the diazepam? Your GP will undoubtedly be contacted to confirm they're prepared to confirm they deem you fit to drive, and to verify your prescription medications.
The best thing I would recommend to you, is to get your doctor to review your medications, and find it in yourself to ask your Dr to stop this medication.
I too was prescribed 2mg of diazepam every now and then, as Drs are very cautious to prescribe this drug on a regular basis because of the risk of dependency. Please look into the consequences of diazepam withdrawal, and you will understand why.
To be honest I think 2mg is a token gesture, or maybe enough to have a placebo effect to trick your brain/nerve reactions, and is not worth having on your current medical record if it's likely to give the DVLA medical group the opportunity to cause you aggro.
There are some very effective mental exercises you can learn to help overcome your anxiety, which you can find via Uncle Google rather than having to attend Talking Therapy sessions, which aren't always appropriate for people.
You might find more info regarding guidelines about anxiety disorder in the DVLA 'Fitness to drive guidance for medical professionals' on the gov.uk website.
If you need any further info I may be able to offer, please do not hesitate to ask. I would appreciate if you could please update me on your progress/outcome.
Best of luck

Hi Dee1990, you have my sincere sympathy having to go through this process, I am going through the same process, and I won't sugar coat it, it is a daunting experience, and will be especially tough if you suffer from anxiety related to your appointments. Did you receive a questionnaire regarding what drugs/medications you have taken in the last 3 years, and if so did you declare the diazepam? Your GP will undoubtedly be contacted to confirm they're prepared to confirm they deem you fit to drive, and to verify your prescription medications.
The best thing I would recommend to you, is to get your doctor to review your medications, and find it in yourself to ask your Dr to stop this medication.
I too was prescribed 2mg of diazepam every now and then, as Drs are very cautious to prescribe this drug on a regular basis because of the risk of dependency. Please look into the consequences of diazepam withdrawal, and you will understand why.
To be honest I think 2mg is a token gesture, or maybe enough to have a placebo effect to trick your brain/nerve reactions, and is not worth having on your current medical record if it's likely to give the DVLA medical group the opportunity to cause you aggro.
There are some very effective mental exercises you can learn to help overcome your anxiety, which you can find via Uncle Google rather than having to attend Talking Therapy sessions, which aren't always appropriate for people.
You might find more info regarding guidelines about anxiety disorder in the DVLA 'Fitness to drive guidance for medical professionals' on the gov.uk website.
If you need any further info I may be able to offer, please do not hesitate to ask. I would appreciate if you could please update me on your progress/outcome.
Best of luck
My apologies for repeating info already provided by forum members, lesson learnt to not skim read :-/

Best of luck
Hi thank you for the reply its appreciated,its not a thing I get regular only every other month and last was today but wont be getting them again in the near future,hopefully anyway,I haven't recieved any questionnaire I thought that just happend on the day,and do they go back as far as 3 years ago?I had some problem back in 2019 regarding drugs but havent touched any since then,I was originally disqualified due to drink driving and havent had any issues or dependency with drink and the doctor will back that up,will they take the misuse in 2019 I to consideration with getting licence back?as for the blood cdt test I know is going to be absolutely fine,even getting given a temporary licence for 12 months then going back for a medical again and by then it would just be another year sober,surely if the diazepam was prescribe off the doctor for short term use and that can be confirmed it wont effect me getting my licence back?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off