medical at end of ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

scoop

have done the blood test as a high risk offender and recieved a lette sayin they need to write to my gp. Is this just part of the normal process or should i be worried? I havent had a drink of any alcohol for the whole 18 months since being banned so i know there will be zero alcohol in the blood samplei

have done the blood test as a high risk offender and recieved a lette sayin they need to write to my gp. Is this just part of the normal process or should i be worried? I havent had a drink of any alcohol for the whole 18 months since being banned so i know there will be zero alcohol in the blood samplei

Perhaps some abnormalities were present in your blood test results for some reason and they have written to your doctor for further information. If you do not have a recent history of alcohol misuse or dependence then I dont think you should have much to worry about. You do have the right to appeal if the DVLA make a decision to withold your driving licence. Good luck, let us know the outcome.

I am in exactly the same position. The DVLA have said they are writing to my GP after taking the medical. I haven't touched a drop for 18 months either but I did drink too much before then and went into rehab for depression and alcohol problems. I answered honestly on the form. My GP knows all this and that I have stopped drinking for good and he is happy to say that he would recommend that I get my licence back and that I have not drunk for 18 months. I have read on DVLA website that you must have been alcohol free for a year if you have previously had a problem, which should mean I am fine. My question to the forum moderator is can the DVLA be fascists and refuse my licence for longer because I once had a problem? Many thanks.

Hi Frustrated.

Saw your other comments on unhelpful DVlA people. I have to say they have been great to me. I have spoken to them 3 times and the last time, yesterday, she said she was sending me confirmation that I can drive under section 88 from the day my ban ends. This despite them still waiting for medical questionnaires etc. will let you know if I get the letter and what DVlA reference it is. Or did you get sorted already?

My issue I think is because I had an appointment with a consultant for a suspected TIA 18 months ago so they now need ANOTHER form filling in!!

Reference insurance. The way I read it unless they have formally revoked your license you have a valid one from the day your ban ends even if they haven't sent it back. This is the section 88 thing. So you can tell insurers you have license even while they go through the medical enquiry thing. ( all assuming your gp agrees you are fit to drive and you have an application in to get license back, which clearly you have or they wouldn't be digging!!!)

got any decent quotes by the way? I need to get insured. My time is up 26th nov

:rolleyes:Thanks scoop, got it sorted and now driving under section 88. Just want license back and get on with my life. Thanks for reply

Hi Frustrated.

Saw your other comments on unhelpful DVlA people. I have to say they have been great to me. I have spoken to them 3 times and the last time, yesterday, she said she was sending me confirmation that I can drive under section 88 from the day my ban ends. This despite them still waiting for medical questionnaires etc. will let you know if I get the letter and what DVlA reference it is. Or did you get sorted already?

My issue I think is because I had an appointment with a consultant for a suspected TIA 18 months ago so they now need ANOTHER form filling in!!

I hear you there!! It is going to be like getting out of jail finally getting back behind the wheel but still won't be 100% relaxed till the real thing comes through.

:DI agree! Whole thing nightmare. Don't drink anymore but if I did' I wld never DD again for sure! Insurance a nightmare, I had a accident too so it has cost a grand. I used people advertised on this site who were really nice. 0844 5577487. Good luck.

e
I hear you there!! It is going to be like getting out of jail finally getting back behind the wheel but still won't be 100% relaxed till the real thing comes through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you there!! It is going to be like getting out of jail finally getting back behind the wheel but still won't be 100% relaxed till the real thing comes thro

i was tryin to start new thread but cant find how to
confused.png

anyway i went for my medical on the 31st of october have been trying to find out results, dvla say they havent received them yet as of 14/11/12, doctor said they sent them off on 5th november, so i asked doctors receptionists the results and they say they cant tell me, refused point blank saying its between dvla and doctor, can anyone confirm if this is correct? also medical was very basic consisting of general questions re drinking habits etc, the doc took my height weight and felt liver area said all felt fine, then took my bloods which i had checked myself in advance and were all well within the dvla's requirements, what concerns me slightly though is doc didnt to eye test or urine test, is this normal ? i am due licence back on 25th of this month, dvla havent even received reuslts yet, they say they currently take 2 weeks to even open mail and upload on to system due to back log, however i have experience of dvla losing all mail unless its sent recorded, they have however given me permission to drive once ban is up, however insurance wants to see licence within 14 days after the 25th which is when policy starts! so worried there too, as i dont think licence will be back in time - so can anyone one confirm rought time it takes to get licence back, if this 2 week thing about updating system with results is correct, also the no urine and no eye test - is that normal? all other threads ive read say an eye tesst and urine test is , taken, also is it coorrect that the doctors secetarys cant give me the results? they tell me they can see them on there screen but cant tell me! im so worried about all this, have served a 3 year ban! ive bought a new car and everything, also paid thoudands!! for insurance! i know my bloods will b fine as i rarely drink and had them checked in advance, still cant help worrying, any advice will be gratefully received

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm new to this, I myself have suffered with Alcohol problems and have now been dry for 18 months.
My only concern is that once in a while i suffer with extreme anxiety due to a depressive illness.
I sometimes take a dose of Valium when things get on top of me. I know its not the answer but it does help in the short term.

Basically my question is, are they just searching for Alcohol related issues or does it expand towards substance misuse.

I know in my letter that they take blood for your LFT but they also said they perform a Urine test.

Many thanks for any replies

Stu

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off