Medical assessment and medication

Convicted Driver Insurance

LongestYard

Hi all,

I was disqualified for 2 years. My ban will be up soon. However as I’m a HRO I will need to prove, through a medical, that I am fit to drive. I rarely drink now, I had a few drinks this year but that’s it. The only thing I am concerned about with this medical is that I’m prescribed 5mg of diazepam a day. I only take it if I need it so say 3/4 times a week. It doesn’t have a sedative effect on me it simply just takes any panic that I’m feeling away. Diagnosed with PTSD. I’m also on an anti depressant (Mirtazipine) and I’m prescribed sleeping tablets for when I need them. I was disqualified for failing to provide a breath sample. It’s my first disqualification for drink driving. I’m just hoping someone can reassure me that I’ll be ok passing the medical. I’m not on high doses of these medications they just help me with day to day life. I’m in desperate need to get my licence back. Even though these medications help me I’d even give them up now if I have to in order to get my licence back. Any help much appreciated.

Hi all,

I was disqualified for 2 years. My ban will be up soon. However as I’m a HRO I will need to prove, through a medical, that I am fit to drive. I rarely drink now, I had a few drinks this year but that’s it. The only thing I am concerned about with this medical is that I’m prescribed 5mg of diazepam a day. I only take it if I need it so say 3/4 times a week. It doesn’t have a sedative effect on me it simply just takes any panic that I’m feeling away. Diagnosed with PTSD. I’m also on an anti depressant (Mirtazipine) and I’m prescribed sleeping tablets for when I need them. I was disqualified for failing to provide a breath sample. It’s my first disqualification for drink driving. I’m just hoping someone can reassure me that I’ll be ok passing the medical. I’m not on high doses of these medications they just help me with day to day life. I’m in desperate need to get my licence back. Even though these medications help me I’d even give them up now if I have to in order to get my licence back. Any help much appreciated.
I too take Mirtazapine and sleeping tablets, these should not affect your CDT medical as long as you are not taking alcohol.
The problem as I see it is that you have to clear 2 further hurdles, 1.GP questionnaire,2.DVLA medical department.
It’s been 5 weeks since the DVLA received the questionnaire and still no news.
Hope this helps

I too take Mirtazapine and sleeping tablets, these should not affect your CDT medical as long as you are not taking alcohol.
The problem as I see it is that you have to clear 2 further hurdles, 1.GP questionnaire,2.DVLA medical department.
It’s been 5 weeks since the DVLA received the questionnaire and still no news.
Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully there will be no problems with the hurdles you mentioned. I’m confident I’ll pass the CDT as I don’t drink and won’t drink up until then.

Hi all,

I’d urge you not to give up your antidepressant medication without advice . Also , I was / am on anti depressant medication . Disclosing this , and mental health issues within last 3 years , to DVLA Dr prompted a follow up enquiry with my GP BUT it did not stop them issuing my licence.

I’d urge you not to give up your antidepressant medication without advice . Also , I was / am on anti depressant medication . Disclosing this , and mental health issues within last 3 years , to DVLA Dr prompted a follow up enquiry with my GP BUT it did not stop them issuing my licence.

Coming off mirtazipine is not easy if you have been on it a long time so do not just stop taking it, I had to do a taper over 3 months and found the withdrawal worse than alcohol withdrawal when I tried cold turkey. After that I started a tapering dose with the support of my GP. You don't need to come off your medication in order to be relicenced so don't cause yourself potential mental anguish if it's unnecessary.

Thank you for your reply. That’s good reassurance for me.

Do not give up your meds, if you're safe on them it's not hard to prove, won't take much longer to get your licence, and a word of advice some anti depressant withdrawals are worse than alcohol withdrawal!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off