Looking for some advice re license refusal

Convicted Driver Insurance

cameo777

I just received a letter from the DVLA stating that they refused the license that I applied for in October 2022 (I had successfully been reissued a year long license in December 2021 after passing all medicals etc, and have enjoyed driving for the past year). They refused as they said that (due to a past of alcohol dependence) me stating that I have one drink a month on the application form is the reason. It should be noted that I haven't been alcohol dependent or abused alcohol in over ten years, and I think that this dependency has been on my record over ten years ago when it was initially revoked. My records have likely not been updated as I decided not to have a car/drive until 2021.

I am sure that my GP will support my claim, my liver function is regularly tested due to medication, and the results are always good. My GP will also have records of our meetings etc where my good health is assessed.

Can someone please advise my best course of action as I am a healthy, safe driver who doesn't abuse alcohol, let alone be dependent on it.

I would suggest you contact your GP and have them confirm to the DVLA regarding your test results from the past year. ( I take it you’ve had regular blood tests), also as a gesture of good faith, apply to have another DVLA medical.
As the law states the maximum alcohol you can consume to drive a vehicle, surely the few drinks you consume per month is hardly going to make you a HRO, which I feel the DVLA seems to be under this misapprehension.
Good Luck

It's bad but the DVLA want total abstinence, that means zero alcohol. Do not mention you drink alcohol at all as it will go against you. I'm sorry this has happened to you but on the letters I got they say you must not drink. I see a lot of people recently are loosing their licences because of this.

I just received a letter from the DVLA stating that they refused the license that I applied for in October 2022 (I had successfully been reissued a year long license in December 2021 after passing all medicals etc, and have enjoyed driving for the past year). They refused as they said that (due to a past of alcohol dependence) me stating that I have one drink a month on the application form is the reason. It should be noted that I haven't been alcohol dependent or abused alcohol in over ten years, and I think that this dependency has been on my record over ten years ago when it was initially revoked. My records have likely not been updated as I decided not to have a car/drive until 2021.

I am sure that my GP will support my claim, my liver function is regularly tested due to medication, and the results are always good. My GP will also have records of our meetings etc where my good health is assessed.

Can someone please advise my best course of action as I am a healthy, safe driver who doesn't abuse alcohol, let alone be dependent on it.
So sorry to read this yet another one victim to the dvla change in policy. Its a very bitter pill to swallow after playing by the rules as we thought we were. Been a spate of new and old members who have been revoked recently after admitting a small amount of alcohol intake.

Agree, once again, with topchippyles. The DVLA's change of policy on this issue means that perfectly law-abiding, safe, occassional drinkers will have their licences revoked. Which means that perfectly law-abiding, safe, occassional drinkers will be forced (by the DVLA) into dishonesty if they want to keep their licences.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Agree, once again, with topchippyles. The DVLA's change of policy on this issue means that perfectly law-abiding, safe, occassional drinkers will have their licences revoked. Which means that perfectly law-abiding, safe, occassional drinkers will be forced (by the DVLA) into dishonesty if they want to keep their licences.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Yes - unfortunately, I can see genuine people potentially being forced to drive illegally because of all of this nonsense. The DVLA have a general responsibility for maintaining road safety, but sadly their actions recently are going to have the opposite effect if people's lives are being compromised because of lack of clarity over declaring controlled drinking.

CJ

Any updates on this have you contacted your Gp or dvla to appeal

Yeh just awful yet again, but any admission to alcohol will result in your licence being revoked while classed as dependent, I’ll just point out again abstinataion is for life with dependence 😢it will state this in your letter …

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off