Looking for Advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jon1123

Hi, New here and looking for advice regarding the possible outcome of my situation.
About a month ago got caught in a row at a friends house and I stupidly and very regrettably decided to drive my car after having quite a few drinks. I got in the car at around 12 am and drove round the block. Before I could make it back to the house I clipped the pavement and lost control of the car and hit a boulder on the corner of a side road. I proceeded to park my car further up this side road out of harms way in the state I was in. In the meantime the impact meant the side airbags were deployed and I ended up hitting my head. The next thing I can remember for sure was waking up in A&E with two police officers and someone taking a blood sample. I dont remember anyone asking me for my permission however I must have said yes when asked as the next day I noticed a leaflet in my pocket with a list of independent labs to get it tested. However I did not receive a sample to take home with me. I also did not receieve any paperwork from the officers.
My question is, should I have received a blood sample to take back with me or do they not have to provide? Should I have received any paperwork from the officers? How long till I can expect any communication from them (I am very surprised they have not contacted me as it has been just over a month!).
At around 4.30 am they just left and I dont really remember much else but getting a taxi home...

Thanks in advance,

Before the police ask you for a sample they have to get the consent of the doctor treating you.
They also have to have your consent, and if it cannot be obtained at the time (because of being unconscious) they have to see you to get your consent to use the sample.
As a month has gone by, I think you can presume that you gave your consent at the time.
You should have been offered a blood sample to keep, but you do not have to be given it, you may have declined at the time.
All you can do now is to wait for them to be in contact with you.

Once they have the result of the blood sample they will be in touch. If you admitted at the time that you had driven the car, you will probably just get a summons in the post. This has to be applied for within 6 months, but it can be served after that time so you have up to 7 months from the incident to sweat about it.

If they did not get an admission from you about driving then when they have the result they will contact you and ask you to attend the police station for an interview and give you the result them. They will be looking for an admission that you drove and you should take a solicitor with you when you go, or ask for the duty solicitor on arrival. The solicitor will give you guidance on the merits of doing a “no comment” interview as without an admission that you drove they may only be left with charging you with an ‘in charge’ offence (for which disqualification is not mandatory. It can be up to a 6 month ban or only 10 points)
If you need the officers details for insurance purposes then you will have to contact the local police station.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am assuming as I had the leaflet with a list of testing labs I would have asked for my sample, but didnt receive it. I remember them only taking one lot of blood.
Is it commonplace for the 6 months to lapse and not hear anything?
I am of the mind that I would rather just get it out the way as the wait is the worst.

Thanks

I think the fact that you were given the leaflet must mean that you were given the sample. They would not fail to ask you if you wanted a sample, but actually give you the leaflet explaining how to have the sample you didn’t want or they didn’t offer tested!
They only take one sample, but the doctor taking it puts it on to two containers and seals them.... then you are offered one of them so you are right that they only took one lot of blood.
The police should inform you of the blood result but some are lazy and if the sample comes back under the limit they just file the case and don't bother telling you.
If you are over, you can be almost certain that you will receive a summons in the post (or the request for an interview if they need one)
We see quite a few reports on here where people do not get a summons until 5-6 months have elapsed.
Do you recollect how much you had to drink, what it was, and over what timeframe? That might give an indication as to the likely outcome.

Hello Pre covid I had to wait from mid May until late October before I got the blood results, then court early November
The wait was awful I used to watch the mail van going down the road & was holding my breath they would pass
As the time got longer you start to think it must have been negative
See the comment from Price but get it in your head you are very likely to be going to court
Just take a day at a time & try not to start watching the postie

It looks like I have another 4 to 5 months of waiting in that case...
I am certain that I would have been over the limit by quite a bit. I was drinking vodka with coke and have been informed that I drank between a quarter and half a 1L bottle. From reading other peoples experience on here, I dont think a prison sentence would be likely as I didnt hit anyone or any other car, but more a long ban and substantial fine/community service given that I have no previous convictions of any kind.

It looks like I have another 4 to 5 months of waiting in that case...
I am certain that I would have been over the limit by quite a bit. I was drinking vodka with coke and have been informed that I drank between a quarter and half a 1L bottle. From reading other peoples experience on here, I dont think a prison sentence would be likely as I didnt hit anyone or any other car, but more a long ban and substantial fine/community service given that I have no previous convictions of any kind.
Unfortunately yes, they will contact you. Mine took 5 months and as the 6 month gets closer; you get stupidly more hopeful 😞 It’s a wait for the summons I’m afraid.

Unfortunately yes, they will contact you. Mine took 5 months and as the 6 month gets closer; you get stupidly more hopeful 😞 It’s a wait for the summons I’m afraid.
I agree, I will not be hopefull at all. It has been 6 weeks tomorrow and I have come to terms with it to be honest. I do think its ridiculous that we have to wait so long. If someone was a serial drink driver they could potentially do a lot of damage within that 4/5 month wait. Plus surely the reliability of my blood sample becomes less and less accurate as blood is an organic compound and would decay in some form or another... nevermind

I agree, I will not be hopefull at all. It has been 6 weeks tomorrow and I have come to terms with it to be honest. I do think its ridiculous that we have to wait so long. If someone was a serial drink driver they could potentially do a lot of damage within that 4/5 month wait. Plus surely the reliability of my blood sample becomes less and less accurate as blood is an organic compound and would decay in some form or another... nevermind
I think the clinical work is fine but possibly the admin is the least of their priorities. It’s almost a sentence on a sentence for us through just waiting plus waiting for the actual case. I’m possibly looking at a 6 month ban but the court date is 15 months after the event! Good luck with it all and stay strong 😊

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off