Looking at insurance quotes part way through a ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

C J 1980

Established Member
Good morning

I am presently 14 months into a 21 month driving ban. I appreciate there are some older threads on here that may cover this specific query so I do apologise in advance. What I would like to know is the following -

a) Can you still get a quote well before your licence is returned? This is to look at what price figures come back so you are not too shocked at the time (this is useful to ensure you start saving!).
b) Which are the best insurance companies for having a DR10 and also being a HRO?
c) Do these insurance companies take into account previous 'no claims' and also if you have done the TCC reduction course?

I don't want to sound like I am putting the cart before the horse but I thought it might be useful to have a play around with insurance quotes just to get a rough idea how much I will pay in December.

Regards

CJ

You can get a quote in advance of your ban ending, but you have to tell a ‘fib’ when you put the details in, saying your ban is about 3-4 weeks from ending. If you put 3-6 months, say, it will tell you that is too far ahead for a quote.
the easiest way to get a general idea on price is to use one of the comparison websites as they give quotes from a range of insurance companies. (But remember that the price does sometimes go up when you follow the link to a company you chose and put further details in)

There is an insurance company listed in the back of the TTC work book that dives details of a company that recognises the course and offers special rates.

Your no claims is normally carried forward for 2 years. If this is a problem thena few do allow 3 years but you are better off going to an ’old fashioned’ insurance broker who could perhaps source one of these for you.

Hi price is right,most insurance companies carry your no claims forward for two years,and brokers can find you insurance with a three year no claims.you can get quotes you just need to change the dates on your conviction as if your ban has ended.dont get quotes within the first or last week of the month or from Friday night until Monday morning as I've found it's more expensive then.

Thanks for the replies.

I have over 10 years no claims under my belt & I was conscious that the length of my ban may invalidate them as I am serving 21 months. I just hope that I get back on the road in under the 2 years just to keep my no claims recognised.

I have been online to 'play around' with quotes and the prices coming back are not as bad as I thought. I do believe one or two insurance companies do not touch drink drivers with a barge pole (Hastings are one of them).

On another plus side - the lockdown has resulted in many insurance companies making millions because claims have dropped through the floor - people are not travelling but are still paying their premiums. Therefore, insurance policies may decrease slightly because of this which is only good news for people coming to the end of a drink driving ban.

CJ

Thanks for the replies.

I have over 10 years no claims under my belt & I was conscious that the length of my ban may invalidate them as I am serving 21 months. I just hope that I get back on the road in under the 2 years just to keep my no claims recognised.

I have been online to 'play around' with quotes and the prices coming back are not as bad as I thought. I do believe one or two insurance companies do not touch drink drivers with a barge pole (Hastings are one of them).

On another plus side - the lockdown has resulted in many insurance companies making millions because claims have dropped through the floor - people are not travelling but are still paying their premiums. Therefore, insurance policies may decrease slightly because of this which is only good news for people coming to the end of a drink driving ban.

CJ
Try 1st central I've used them for years and they are still coming in cheapest with my dg10 conviction

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off