Long wait for licence

Convicted Driver Insurance
I completed my drink driving sentence as a HRO in October 2017 and then received a 1 year licence quite quickly. In October 2018 I applied for a new licence and now after a medical consultation with my own GP in February and a DVLA medical March 19th with the DVLA doctor I am still waiting 6 months later ! My cdt was 0.9% as I haven't had a drink since a December 2015. But I happened to mention I had had depression in 2015 and had medication but none since and had to fill in yet another questionnaire. I expect the DVLA will go back to my gp again.I haven't been able to drive since my licence expired in January 2019 which has caused difficulties at work and looking after my mum. I am going to my GP to touch base with him tomorrow and try and get him to write a letter of support but it just goes on and on.
If I get my licence again I am going to make sure I touch base with my gp every 3 months as I didn't see him during my ban.
I have worked hard to get well and get a new career and I volunteer as well. Just wondering if anyone else has had a wait as long as this. It's so stressful ☹️

There's something not adding up from the date you applied 18th OCT until DVLA medical 19th March why has it taken 6 months for a medical to be arranged .

When I applied for my licence end of October 2018 it took them until the 11th January 2019 to reply and ask me to go for a medical consultation with my gp. Then they decided they wanted me to have a full medical with DVLA doctor that took another 5 weeks. Then I have had to fill in another questionnaire about depression and sent that off a week ago. I expect now they will write to my gp again. There was such a delay at the beginning and I wish they had sent me straight for a full medical.

This still makes no sense despite the long DVLA response? they never normally ask a person to see there own GP before an actual DVLA approved medical!
However seems the DVLA in recent months have very shrinking shoulders despite stating previously they cannot take GP practioners advice !! seems they are leaning more and more towards the own persons GP advice#which by your own admission it's best to keep in touch and I agree)
good luck with rest of process I've never heard such a silly delay especially with a CDT reading like that!
Also the DVLA have no rights to dig into your depression history as it was more than 3 years ago what is going on here!! Please keep us informed thanks

Last edited:
Be Careful of what you say GP , do not dig up past ie depression and you have no worries with Alcohol so go in smiling no need for anxious

I went to my gp and he's written a supporting letter to the DVLA I recieved all the medical data they have on me today and all is well for the last three years.
Eye opener for me is that I have been taking the bus everywhere as I thought once you are a high risk offender which I was before I got my licence back in Jan 2018 I thought you were always a high risk offender after 2013. Apparently not correct.
If you have had a licence clean after your HRO and haven't reoffended you are not a HRO any longer and if your gp says you are fit to drive you are are but need to clarify it. I have been so upset that I might lose my job and finally someone explained it to me. The section 88 guidelines are not clear. If your employer wants clarification of your driving status the DVLA will supply this but will not put it in writing to me.
The section 88 guidelines are awful and need clairifying. I have spent the last three years getting my life back on track and this has been worse than the original offence.
I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I made a mistake, paid the price and want to move on.

AnxiousAnnie,
From what you have pot on here, you are entitled to drive for up to a year under S88.
Generally DVLA will issue a “letter of entitlement to drive” to confirm this, so you have something to show the Police if you are stopped. Now they have the supporting letter from your GP, you meet all the criteria for S88 and I see no reason why they should not give you the entitlement in writing pending their decision.
Pester them again for confirmation in writing.

Hi everyone
After waiting 7 months for a reissue of my driving licence, I finally have a 10 year one in the post. Feels wonderful .
Thankyou for your support. Never again do I want to be in this position again.

Just letting you know my story. Went for medical on 29th November 19.. Blood test back on the 7th and they wrote to my GP who received the paperwork on the 10th December. FOUR whole weeks went by and the finally wrote back to the DVLA who recieved this on the 10th Jan. 10 days now and still nothing. My ban was up on the 26th December. 25 days ago!!!!
8 weeks since my medical and still waiting!!

It took 7 weeks for my decision after the medical in mid 2019. June-August. I wouldn't count the week before Christmas, the week of Christmas or until the 6th of January towards your wait as we all know nothing is completed in office jobs during this time.

29th November to the 20th of January minus them 3 weeks has been a 4 week wait. Normally a 6-8 week wait when a GP has been contacted. It's just unfortunate that all your dates landed over the Christmas period, the slowest time of year.

It took 7 weeks for my decision after the medical in mid 2019. June-August. I wouldn't count the week before Christmas, the week of Christmas or until the 6th of January towards your wait as we all know nothing is completed in office jobs during this time.

29th November to the 20th of January minus them 3 weeks has been a 4 week wait. Normally a 6-8 week wait when a GP has been contacted. It's just unfortunate that all your dates landed over the Christmas period, the slowest time of year.

Very true.Time will tell now

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off