License cancelled what to do now?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Earthgirl

Hello, I'm trying to help my dad and really don't know how. I'd really appreciate any help.

He had a detox in hospital in July 2021 after falling and hitting his head. We had no idea he was drinking. He has abstained totally since then.

He got a letter dated 29 March to say his application for driving licence was refused as the DVLA had received information about the detox and that this is a sign of alcohol dependency.

They can reconsider an application after a period of abstinence of 12 months, but he can start his application within 8 weeks of the end of the period.

He has spoken to his doctor who hadn't been contacted by the DVLA, (neither had my dad) the doctor had no idea about the issue ( didn't even have any info from the hospital about the detox) . The doctor would support my dad getting his license back.

I guess that there is no point appealing as the detox is equal to alcohol dependency in the eyes of the DVLA? As it was a one off binge can I ask for it to be reduced to abuse of alcohol?

I think we have to fill out a D1 form. Can we do this 8 weeks before the 12 month anniversary of date of the detox? How do we find out what dates the DVLA are working to?

What box do we tick on the d1 form?

The one for alcohol dependency needs to be ticked, but what is the "reason for the application" on the right hand side of the form?do we just tick renewal as this is what he was trying to do?

Would it benefit my dad to put a supporting letter in from his doctor to confirm abstainsnce, what about a test should we do that and send in the results with the application or will it not make a difference?

Will my dad have to redo his theory and practical driving test?

Thanks so much for any help and advice!

Hi there, sorry to hear of your Dad’s woes.

Was the license revoked, or had it simply lapsed? I think from what you describe it would be renewal on the D1, but under medical reasons. Unless it was specifically revoked.

Chances are he will have to do a medical before getting his license back again, and a CDT blood test. There is plenty of info on here all about that.

I can’t really comment on whether they will downgrade dependency to misuse. My suspicion is that detox will definitely be seen as the former rather than the latter, and even if I’m wrong getting the DVLA to alter their judgement on anything is easier said than done. It may be worth a try but I wouldn’t hold out too much hope.

What will be important/beneficial is that his doctor specifically enters on his medical notes that he has stopped drinking alcohol. This will provide a concrete timestamp in his medical notes from when he can run the clock down with the DVLA.

May also be a good idea after a few months to get some LFTs done, and then a few months after that to prove he’s maintaining his abstinence. The GP will do CDT tests also, which would be even better alongside the LFTs, but you have to specifically ask for these (and even make sure they go to the lab in a tube with the correctly-coloured lid…!).

So given that a medical is highly likely before his license is reinstated, if his doctor is onside it’s important that his medical notes which can/will be reviewed by the DVLA in considering his application all say the right things.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much. How do we get LFTs done?

I think he had been sent a renewal letter before his head injury and then sent that renewal letter in when he got better.

That came back saying his right to have a license has been cancelled.

His GP will do these for you if you ask. I can’t see it being an issue, firstly since it’s important for his reapplication (not to mention good to check on his liver health) but moreover since he’s offered to help.

However, depending on how long and how much his drinking spell was, it may be a good idea to allow some time to allow his liver to recover before doing these. Especially if he was drinking heavily for a prolonged period. Obviously you don’t want this to be counterproductive.

As said above, though, it’s important that his medical notes clearly state that he’s stopped drinking, and from when. I’d make an appointment to do this ASAP (if it hasn’t been put on there already that is), and maybe discuss the LFTs at that time. Basically anything in his medical file that looks good to the DVLA is going to help when that medical comes around.

Thanks so much for this. I will try to keep his doctor onside and get the tests done. My dad asked the doctor about blood tests to prove abstinence but was told not necessary. I will ask again though as proving is abstention is do important- he lives so rurally that not driving will have a big impact on his quality of life and ability to access other supports and services.

Would private testing be of any merit?

Thanks so much for this. I will try to keep his doctor onside and get the tests done. My dad asked the doctor about blood tests to prove abstinence but was told not necessary. I will ask again though as proving is abstention is do important- he lives so rurally that not driving will have a big impact on his quality of life and ability to access other supports and services.

Would private testing be of any merit?

There are plenty of tests that can be purchased, but these obviously don’t go on your medical file. They’re more for your own information. So these won’t help.

In terms of going down the private healthcare route, then yes that would, but due to the costs involved with this I’d exhaust avenues with your GP first. He has offered to help, and if he says there’s no need then maybe go in with your father and ask him to reconsider given his offer. If he still won’t, then say it’s really worrying you both, and that you’d really appreciate it if he could; because he can’t afford any more hiccups given the domestic situation you describe.

The LFTs aren’t essential to pass the medical, and the GP probably knows this. But they are indeed helpful if they illustrate what you want them to. Especially given that (as you rightly say) dependency is viewed as more severe than misuse.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off