Licence renewal after disqualified

Convicted Driver Insurance

Anthony h

Hi I was disqualified for drink driving 7 Oct 2011 (high risk) I have recently re applied for my licence after all this. I’ve read under section 88 if I was disqualified high risk before 1 June 2013 I’m eligible too drive while waiting too under go medical and for licence too arrive. Is this correct?

To continue driving under Section 88, you must meet all of the following criteria:

• Your doctor must have told you that you are fit to drive. If your doctor is unsure about how a medical condition affects driving, they should refer to ‘Assessing fitness to drive – a guide for medical professionals’ at www.gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive

• You have held a valid driving licence (see *below) and only drive vehicles you have applied for on your current application and were entitled to drive on your previous licence.

• If you hold a Group 2 (bus or lorry) licence, your entitlement has not been suspended, revoked or refused by a traffic commissioner.

• You meet any conditions that were specified on your previous licence that still apply.

• DVLA has received your correct and complete application within the last 12 months.

• Your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical reasons.

• You are not currently disqualified from driving by a court.

• You were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013 (a high risk offender is a driver convicted of a serious drink driving offence).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf

So I can drive? The top point regarding doctor would be if I had my licence revoked for medical reasons so won’t apply too me as have always been in good health?

So I can drive? The top point regarding doctor would be if I had my licence revoked for medical reasons so won’t apply too me as have always been in good health?
The top part does apply to you, as you are classed as a high risk offender & you need to complete a medical in order to determine your fitness to drive a vehicle before you are issued a driving licence by the DVLA and are legally entitled to drive.

Alcohol dependence or misuse is classified as a medical condition, taking a medical is to determine if you have any medical condition including alcohol dependence or misuse. You may say you don't but you actually need to prove that you don't, the same applies to section 88, you need a doctor to clarify you are fit to drive

It is up to you to determine if you qualify to drive under section 88 and you need to meet the criteria mentioned above. The DVLA booklet states:

"You and your doctor are in the best position to consider the Section 88 criteria and to decide whether you should drive while you are waiting for a licence to be issued."

Personally I would just wait until I passed the DVLA medical under your circumstances, you haven't had a driving licence for 11 years, I would just wait another couple of months.

The top part does apply to you, as you are classed as a high risk offender & you need to complete a medical in order to determine your fitness to drive a vehicle before you are issued a driving licence by the DVLA and are legally entitled to drive.

Alcohol dependence or misuse is classified as a medical condition, taking a medical is to determine if you have any medical condition including alcohol dependence or misuse. You may say you don't but you actually need to prove that you don't, the same applies to section 88, you need a doctor to clarify you are fit to drive

It is up to you to determine if you qualify to drive under section 88 and you need to meet the criteria mentioned above. The DVLA booklet states:

"You and your doctor are in the best position to consider the Section 88 criteria and to decide whether you should drive while you are waiting for a licence to be issued."

Personally I would just wait until I passed the DVLA medical under your circumstances, you haven't had a driving licence for 11 years, I would just wait another couple of months.
Hi, interesting topic. I am an HRO. However abstained from alcohol maybe 2 years ago. My application process begins 09/09/2022. My disqualification end date is 09/12/2022.
I am also an HGV driver. At the 2 year point I petitioned the Sheriff court in Scotland for the early return of my driving licence under section 42 of the road traffic offenders act (or something like that)
I wasn't offered the Drink driving awareness course as it was a second offence in the 10 year period. I did however purchase my own, and completed it, I also had several Private CDT tests to prove I had completely abstained from alcohol use. I also completed an NVQ level course online during the pandemic "Alcohol and substance misuse and its effects on individuals and greater society" I also worked through the pandemic delivering food parcels to elderly and frail in the community, on foot of course. The director of the charity wrote a letter to the court almost begging my licence be returned so I could reach more people in need. The Sheriff, said that whilst I was within my rights to apply, and could see the benefits to others...."I'm quite happy for you to serve the entirety of your sentence"
Application denied.
Charming guy, obviously. I've continued having private CDT's at great expense. And with all the other things I did to address the issues I had, and to pay my debt back to society and make reparation, I'm wondering if this evidence including CDT's would hold any favour with the Traffic commissioner when deciding whether to return my vocational Class1 HGV licence, or whether they decide to make me wait for the 1-3 month period after getting my car licence back?
Sorry about the "Novel" size question, but quite a lot to get through.
If anyone can shed any light or give advice, it's much appreciated.
Thank you

Hi, interesting topic. I am an HRO. However abstained from alcohol maybe 2 years ago. My application process begins 09/09/2022. My disqualification end date is 09/12/2022.
I am also an HGV driver. At the 2 year point I petitioned the Sheriff court in Scotland for the early return of my driving licence under section 42 of the road traffic offenders act (or something like that)
I wasn't offered the Drink driving awareness course as it was a second offence in the 10 year period. I did however purchase my own, and completed it, I also had several Private CDT tests to prove I had completely abstained from alcohol use. I also completed an NVQ level course online during the pandemic "Alcohol and substance misuse and its effects on individuals and greater society" I also worked through the pandemic delivering food parcels to elderly and frail in the community, on foot of course. The director of the charity wrote a letter to the court almost begging my licence be returned so I could reach more people in need. The Sheriff, said that whilst I was within my rights to apply, and could see the benefits to others...."I'm quite happy for you to serve the entirety of your sentence"
Application denied.
Charming guy, obviously. I've continued having private CDT's at great expense. And with all the other things I did to address the issues I had, and to pay my debt back to society and make reparation, I'm wondering if this evidence including CDT's would hold any favour with the Traffic commissioner when deciding whether to return my vocational Class1 HGV licence, or whether they decide to make me wait for the 1-3 month period after getting my car licence back?
Thank you
Even if you were to regain your licence and your HGV it would be next to impossible to get a firm to insure you with 2 convictions in 10 years. There has been various threads on here with one conviction unable to get a job driving hgv vehicles due to insurance companies refusing cover.

Even if you were to regain your licence and your HGV it would be next to impossible to get a firm to insure you with 2 convictions in 10 years. There has been various threads on here with one conviction unable to get a job driving hgv vehicles due to insurance companies refusing cover.
Hi thanks for your response. I have been in the HGV industry for 25 years. I have very good contacts. Even with bothe convictions I have at this present time, 6 guaranteed nailed on job offers, and cleared with their respective insurance companies. That wasn't the basis of my question though but I do appreciate your reply. Insurance companies mostly are the dog that wags the tail. But there are exceptions.

Application denied.
Thank you
I am afraid your private CDT tests will NOT be accepted by the DVLA or the TRaffic Commisioner as they have no way of knowing with certainty if it was you that provided the blood sample and not 'your twin brother.'

The only external evidence they will accept is Liver Function Tests carried out on the NHS via your GP.

I notice you only joined the forum in March, but this information is liberally sprinkled throughout.

I am afraid your private CDT tests will NOT be accepted by the DVLA or the TRaffic Commisioner as they have no way of knowing with certainty if it was you that provided the blood sample and not 'your twin brother.'

The only external evidence they will accept is Liver Function Tests carried out on the NHS via your GP.

I notice you only joined the forum in March, but this information is liberally sprinkled throughout.
Thank you for your response. I've read that liver function tests are of little use, as the CDT test raises different markers than the LFT. This is probably why the DVLA accept the greater accuracy of the CDT and don't use the LFT anymore. But hey, I could be wrong on that one. "I notice you only joined in March" I'm sorry but the relevance of that statement is lost on me. You seem to be inferring something?
Your probably right with that date, however I had previously been on and off this site for maybe two years or so under a different name. And had been communicating with price and one other via private messaging. However I had lost/forgotten login details, hence why I'm now registered under these details. But thank you for your comments.

Thank you for your response. I've read that liver function tests are of little use, as the CDT test raises different markers than the LFT. This is probably why the DVLA accept the greater accuracy of the CDT and don't use the LFT anymore. But hey, I could be wrong on that one. "I notice you only joined in March" I'm sorry but the relevance of that statement is lost on me. You seem to be inferring something?
Your probably right with that date, however I had previously been on and off this site for maybe two years or so under a different name. And had been communicating with price and one other via private messaging. However I had lost/forgotten login details, hence why I'm now registered under these details. But thank you for your comments.
The DVLA only accept CDT tests carried out by their own approved Doctors. The LFT's carried out by your GP does however give the DVLA an indication as to the general health of your liver, but these are read in conjunction with your GP's answers to the DVLA questionnaire.

I only mentioned you joining in March as lots of new people ask questions that have been answered previously and a quick search will help them as opposed to waiting for someone to re-answer the same question..

I am afraid I have no way of knowing that you have been on the site for much longer under a different user name.

A DVLA spokesperson added: “Despite a number of issues including coordinated industrial strikes, all our services are operating within normal turnaround times and paper applications are being processed within 3 to 4 weeks. Our online services are working as normal and without delay

Why am I not filled with confidence, with regards the above statement 😂

A DVLA spokesperson added: “Despite a number of issues including coordinated industrial strikes, all our services are operating within normal turnaround times and paper applications are being processed within 3 to 4 weeks. Our online services are working as normal and without delay

Why am I not filled with confidence, with regards the above statement 😂

''Normal & without delay'' - are the DVLA taking the p**s with that statement!!!!

I am now in my 9th month of waiting since my D1 was posted, and I'm in my 6th month of not having a driving licence.

3/4 weeks turnaround for their paper based process is completely false information they are releasing to the public.

However, as a government lead organisation, I suppose they are allowed to manipulate and mislead the public, much like the Prime Minister & his minions have done over the last two years.

Rant over.

CJ

''Normal & without delay'' - are the DVLA taking the p**s with that statement!!!!

I am now in my 9th month of waiting since my D1 was posted, and I'm in my 6th month of not having a driving licence.

3/4 weeks turnaround for their paper based process is completely false information they are releasing to the public.

However, as a government lead organisation, I suppose they are allowed to manipulate and mislead the public, much like the Prime Minister & his minions have done over the last two years.

Rant over.

CJ
I'm here with CJ,my license expired 21/12/2021, currently on a section 88,and only received my medical appointment last weekend,to then be told there are no appointments available and they will contact me...this has cost me the possibility of two jobs as their insurance wouldn't cover me due to an expired licence..
They make their own rules up imho

I'm here with CJ,my license expired 21/12/2021, currently on a section 88,and only received my medical appointment last weekend,to then be told there are no appointments available and they will contact me...this has cost me the possibility of two jobs as their insurance wouldn't cover me due to an expired licence..
I will be sending my renewal off this week my 1 year licence expires in 6 week so expecting to drive on a section 88 for a while. Why has it taken nearly 7 months to get a a medical its crazy.

Rant over.

CJ
It took me from 15th July 2021 until the 10th February 2022 to get my licence back - 210 days all in.

Are you HRO? Have you had your medical?

I don't know where you live or how far you want to travel, but if a job is at stake, try the Medical Rooms in Glasgow. I have had both my medicals carried out there and there have been no delays with appointments. You need to get the DVLA to okay this as they need to send the paperwork to the Doctor.

Just something to consider.

It took me from 15th July 2021 until the 10th February 2022 to get my licence back - 210 days all in.

Are you HRO? Have you had your medical?

Luna

I am/was a HRO, but from what I've been told, once you have passed your first medical after the conclusion of the DD ban and have been reinstated on the road, the HRO label is dropped in favour of the polite term - 'driver with on-going medical issues'.

I should have had my second DVLA medical late last year (2021), but because of the chaos the Swansea brigade are in, I am still waiting to attend the medical.

From what I have learned on this forum - as I am no longer eligible to pay for the second medical - I am at the bottom of a very big pile!

It would appear the DVLA medical team are prioritising the HRO people coming to the end of their ban because of the payment for the driving licence renewal and the medical costs.

Because of the nature of my job, I am not as necessarily reliant on my car as other people on this forum, so I am quite content to wait it out for the time being.

I did receive a letter from the DVLA at the end of May telling me they have written to my GP (again!) - so at least I've got piece of mind they haven't forgot about me.

CJ

Luna

I am/was a HRO, but from what I've been told, once you have passed your first medical after the conclusion of the DD ban and have been reinstated on the road, the HRO label is dropped in favour of the polite term - 'driver with on-going medical issues'.

I should have had my second DVLA medical late last year (2021), but because of the chaos the Swansea brigade are in, I am still waiting to attend the medical.

From what I have learned on this forum - as I am no longer eligible to pay for the second medical - I am at the bottom of a very big pile!

It would appear the DVLA medical team are prioritising the HRO people coming to the end of their ban because of the payment for the driving licence renewal and the medical costs.

Because of the nature of my job, I am not as necessarily reliant on my car as other people on this forum, so I am quite content to wait it out for the time being.

I did receive a letter from the DVLA at the end of May telling me they have written to my GP (again!) - so at least I've got piece of mind they haven't forgot about me.

CJ
First post i have see regarding medical fees being a priority for HRO offenders. I cannot see how this is possible it varies from person to person but as you guys are further down the line than i am in applying to renew a 1 year licence it seems feasible.

I don't know where you live or how far you want to travel, but if a job is at stake, try the Medical Rooms in Glasgow. I have had both my medicals carried out there and there have been no delays with appointments. You need to get the DVLA to okay this as they need to send the paperwork to the Doctor.

Just something to consider.
I live in Berwick-upon-Tweed so I'm assuming Edinburgh or Newcastle

First post i have see regarding medical fees being a priority for HRO offenders. I cannot see how this is possible it varies from person to person but as you guys are further down the line than i am in applying to renew a 1 year licence it seems feasible.

topchippyles

I believe the DVLA have been prioritising those people coming to the end of their DD ban as they are trying to ensure people at least benefit from their reduction course and the money they have paid to take part in it!

As I said, for those of us who have already been back on the road for a while, we have the luxury of the Section 88 legislation to fall back on. Therefore, we are not at the top of the priority list.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off