Licence Refused

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hopeful2022

Hi just after some advice please.

Im still absolutely devestated about this decision after achieving 0.6 on my cdt the dvla wrote to my gp with regard to my mental health M2 form which i now know i could have ticked no to but on this questionnaire sent to gp there was 18 questions and 2 were about alcohol. My doctor ticked dependence & stated 2 years ago. That was it there was no opportunity on this form to go into more detail. I'll add he ticked no to everything else as my MH isn't a issue My question is that I told my gp I stopped drinking on the 7th Feb the dvla wrote to me on the 10th June to refuse and asking for one year abstinence. As my doctor didn't put date of last drink on the questionnaire do i go by my date or the letters date?. I am so unbelivebly upset and stressed by all this. I know where the dependence suggestion has come from and am speaking to that organisation Monday to hopefully get it clarified with my gp I was not dependent.
Is it worth just not reapplying until I have 6 years no dependence if my gp won't change my notes?. Or are you always classed as dependent now?.
I feel so cheated because I passed n then they failed me on a mental health form. It just seems so unfair.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
That is such a shame. I really feel for you. How will you prove you haven’t drank for 12 months???
Can you appeal?

Hi just after some advice please.

Im still absolutely devestated about this decision after achieving 0.6 on my cdt the dvla wrote to my gp with regard to my mental health M2 form which i now know i could have ticked no to but on this questionnaire sent to gp there was 18 questions and 2 were about alcohol. My doctor ticked dependence & stated 2 years ago. That was it there was no opportunity on this form to go into more detail. I'll add he ticked no to everything else as my MH isn't a issue My question is that I told my gp I stopped drinking on the 7th Feb the dvla wrote to me on the 10th June to refuse and asking for one year abstinence. As my doctor didn't put date of last drink on the questionnaire do i go by my date or the letters date?. I am so unbelivebly upset and stressed by all this. I know where the dependence suggestion has come from and am speaking to that organisation Monday to hopefully get it clarified with my gp I was not dependent.
Is it worth just not reapplying until I have 6 years no dependence if my gp won't change my notes?. Or are you always classed as dependent now?.
I feel so cheated because I passed n then they failed me on a mental health form. It just seems so unfair.

Sorry for the long post.
Hi hopefull I am so sorry and gutted for you,,, I do believe from lots of posts you have to prove 12months abstinence from the date they sent the letter,, so what you must do now is contact your gp tell them all this and make sure they have a date logged when you stopped and have a good 3 lfts liver function tests done free through the gp spaced over the next year and do not ever admit to dvla even 1 unit of alcohol over that time as they will start your 12months again... Am sure a lot of knowledgeable people on here will back me up on this.. I am in a very similar situation to you, times and everything although my alcohol issue was 7yrs ago and gp gave me a good report ever since then,,,, I also said no to more than 6units in the last Yr but I do only have my last drink date logged 31st Dec... I'm still waiting for them to process the gp report,, its so awful this waiting and not knowing,, I'll be happy with a temporary licence, my worst nightmare is having to do another 12months I really do feel for you it is absolute torture. Please do contact your gp immediately... The dvla system is soooo unfair for most people on here,, look after yourself 🤗

I am the same as yourself and have to prove 1 year abstinence My banned ended December and got notified in April
My GP has on file stopped drinking in July and I am getting LFTs done spaced over 3 months
Your GP has noted your last drink in feb so get LFTs done and you can reapply after 1 year to hopefully get so other medical and a 1 year licence for the next 3 years then a 5 year licence
My cdt was0.6 and I ticked to MH which isn’t an issue either I had information on my GP notes re alcohol in the past 6 years
I’ve not drunk since 30/7/21 so one year will be 30/7/22 but got letter in April
I have this in my GP file and with their support to back this up to prove 12 months abstinence I will resubmit my application towards the end of the year so I’ll have done 16 months by the time I’d application and by the time I get any response it will probably be 20 months
I hope this helps that there is hope to get a 2 year licence and I feel your pain frustration and IF ONLY thoughts 💭

Hi hopefull I am so sorry and gutted for you,,, I do believe from lots of posts you have to prove 12months abstinence from the date they sent the letter,, so what you must do now is contact your gp tell them all this and make sure they have a date logged when you stopped and have a good 3 lfts liver function tests done free through the gp spaced over the next year and do not ever admit to dvla even 1 unit of alcohol over that time as they will start your 12months again... Am sure a lot of knowledgeable people on here will back me up on this.. I am in a very similar situation to you, times and everything although my alcohol issue was 7yrs ago and gp gave me a good report ever since then,,,, I also said no to more than 6units in the last Yr but I do only have my last drink date logged 31st Dec... I'm still waiting for them to process the gp report,, its so awful this waiting and not knowing,, I'll be happy with a temporary licence, my worst nightmare is having to do another 12months I really do feel for you it is absolute torture. Please do contact your gp immediately... The dvla system is soooo unfair for most people on here,, look after yourself 🤗
Hi thank you for replying. It does seem so unfair. I have the evidence to prove I wasn't alcohol dependent or prescribed anything just need my gp to acknowledge it n then for dvla to hopefully have another look at it. I've got my first lft Tues my doctor then said he'll do 2 more 6mths apart so that's sorted. Just a year seems so long away right now. I hope you get the answer you want it is so stressful this whole thing I've honestly thought about just never driving again!.

I am the same as yourself and have to prove 1 year abstinence My banned ended December and got notified in April
My GP has on file stopped drinking in July and I am getting LFTs done spaced over 3 months
Your GP has noted your last drink in feb so get LFTs done and you can reapply after 1 year to hopefully get so other medical and a 1 year licence for the next 3 years then a 5 year licence
My cdt was0.6 and I ticked to MH which isn’t an issue either I had information on my GP notes re alcohol in the past 6 years
I’ve not drunk since 30/7/21 so one year will be 30/7/22 but got letter in April
I have this in my GP file and with their support to back this up to prove 12 months abstinence I will resubmit my application towards the end of the year so I’ll have done 16 months by the time I’d application and by the time I get any response it will probably be 20 months
I hope this helps that there is hope to get a 2 year licence and I feel your pain frustration and IF ONLY thoughts 💭
Hi I'm speaking with my doctor again in around 3 weeks I'll double check he's got 7th Feb on file as it was only said in passing on the phone all appts are phone now so I don't know if he wrote it down. Got my first lft on Tues n then 2 more 6mths apart hoping that will be enough. Good luck when you come to reapply!.

That is such a shame. I really feel for you. How will you prove you haven’t drank for 12 months???
Can you appeal?
You evidence it with blood tests with your gp done a few times over your year of abstinence. I can send them new medical evidence I'm trying to gather some. Absolutely gutted.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off