Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi all,
Has anyone (HRO) ever paid private for monthly CDT blood tests 12 months prior to ban ending?
Thank you

I have had appt with doctors to ask for cdt tests which he has said they do not do on NHS on LFTs
what do I do ? Pay for private tests and how do I do that as I’ve been looking to do but having trouble getting in to get my blood taken

I have had appt with doctors to ask for cdt tests which he has said they do not do on NHS on LFTs
what do I do ? Pay for private tests and how do I do that as I’ve been looking to do but having trouble getting in to get my blood taken
Hi 220899, I'm in the same boat as you, you shouldn't of asked for a CDT test as they Don't do them. Are you a HRO ? And have you got previous alcohol misuse or dependency on your gp record or not ?

Hi 220899, I'm in the same boat as you, you shouldn't of asked for a CDT test as they Don't do them. Are you a HRO ? And have you got previous alcohol misuse or dependency on your gp record or not ?
Yes I am HRO and have dependency I have spoken to my GP and he has said he will back me up as I am 9 months no alcohol registered with him since July 2021 dvla blood in November 21 was 0.6 He will do LFT and I said I will do pte blood test and he will support after 12 month with GP report as additional medical evidence that I am alcohol free

Yes I am HRO and have dependency I have spoken to my GP and he has said he will back me up as I am 9 months no alcohol registered with him since July 2021 dvla blood in November 21 was 0.6 He will do LFT and I said I will do pte blood test and he will support after 12 month with GP report as additional medical evidence that I am alcohol free
Hi 220899, things look like they're moving in the right direction then for you then.. so have you applied for you license and been refused previously ? How many LFT'S is your doctor going to do or have you had done then ? And what is a PTE blood test, I've never heard of it, do they require that now do you know ?

Hi 220899, things look like they're moving in the right direction then for you then.. so have you applied for you license and been refused previously ? How many LFT'S is your doctor going to do or have you had done then ? And what is a PTE blood test, I've never heard of it, do they require that now do you know ?
Sorry pte was short for private blood test which costs in the region of £140 soo I won’t be doing many of them
I applied for my dvla in October 2021 for licence due in December
After writing to gp which showed history of independence licence revoked in April with the guidance to provide 1 years abstinence before reapplying but it isn’t clear when this one year starts from so my question is can I reapply after July with the evidence I have 1 year abstinence?

Sorry pte was short for private blood test which costs in the region of £140 soo I won’t be doing many of them
I applied for my dvla in October 2021 for licence due in December
After writing to gp which showed history of independence licence revoked in April with the guidance to provide 1 years abstinence before reapplying but it isn’t clear when this one year starts from so my question is can I reapply after July with the evidence I have 1 year abstinence?
Hi 220899, bloody hell who are you getting the blood tests done through then, gp or ? That's alot of money isn't it!
I'm in a similar situation as you I'm afraid so I don't know the answer to this, have you not tried calling the DVLA ?
I received my letter to apply for my driving licence yesterday but there's no point at the moment as i know I have previous dependency on my gp file, I only logged my last drink date with my gp 5 weeks ago, I'm worried that if I reapply too early then I'm going to have to wait another full year if it's rejected, was this the case with you ? Or have you had to wait a year from the date you logged your last drink with your gp ?
So did they give you your licence back and then take it away again ?

Hi 220899, bloody hell who are you getting the blood tests done through then, gp or ? That's alot of money isn't it!
I'm in a similar situation as you I'm afraid so I don't know the answer to this, have you not tried calling the DVLA ?
I received my letter to apply for my driving licence yesterday but there's no point at the moment as i know I have previous dependency on my gp file, I only logged my last drink date with my gp 5 weeks ago, I'm worried that if I reapply too early then I'm going to have to wait another full year if it's rejected, was this the case with you ? Or have you had to wait a year from the date you logged your last drink with your gp ?
So did they give you your licence back and then take it away again ?
No I haven’t reapplied for my licence yet I’m waiting until I have completed a whole year which will be end of July the date I logged my last drink with gp.so my thinking is I will reapply in September after a whole year has gone by by then I will have had LFT done by Gp and a cdt test in august to show blood level. I’m hoping this is sufficient evidence for the dvla. I got my letter in April to revoke and wait a year soo I’m unsure whether to do in September or wait until April ?

No I haven’t reapplied for my licence yet I’m waiting until I have completed a whole year which will be end of July the date I logged my last drink with gp.so my thinking is I will reapply in September after a whole year has gone by by then I will have had LFT done by Gp and a cdt test in august to show blood level. I’m hoping this is sufficient evidence for the dvla. I got my letter in April to revoke and wait a year soo I’m unsure whether to do in September or wait until April ?

DVLA do not accept private blood tests as evidence as there is no proof it was you who took the private test. The only evidence they accept is via GP records. The CDT test would only be for your own peace of mind, it will not further your case with the DVLA.

DVLA do not accept private blood tests as evidence as there is no proof it was you who took the private test. The only evidence they accept is via GP records. The CDT test would only be for your own peace of mind, it will not further your case with the DVLA.
I know the dvla don’t accept private tests but the doctor doesn’t do tests other than LFTs so what evidence are the dvla after

I know the dvla don’t accept private tests but the doctor doesn’t do tests other than LFTs so what evidence are the dvla after
That's the question! I think, as a basic rule.........

Log the date of your last drink with your GP.
While you're at it, ask them to arrange for you to have a LFT done.
Over the next 12 months (or however long) try and get regular LFT's done. Every 3 months seems like the ideal amount.
Then get a decent CDT score when you go for your DVLA medical.

Other than that, I have no idea how
a) You can prove that you've not had a drink for a minimum of 12 months
or
b) They can prove that you have had one in the previous 12 months.

From what I've read on here, nobody (including the DVLA) actually knows what this 'proof' actually is.

That's the question! I think, as a basic rule.........

Log the date of your last drink with your GP.
While you're at it, ask them to arrange for you to have a LFT done.
Over the next 12 months (or however long) try and get regular LFT's done. Every 3 months seems like the ideal amount.
Then get a decent CDT score when you go for your DVLA medical.

Other than that, I have no idea how
a) You can prove that you've not had a drink for a minimum of 12 months
or
b) They can prove that you have had one in the previous 12 months.

From what I've read on here, nobody (including the DVLA) actually knows what this 'proof' actually is.
Thank you
This is the plan moving forward
Just the question as to when to reapply

I just phoned my doctors and asked the reception to print off a full blood count form including lft ...theyve done it a few times no question.... i dont think theyd do cdt but they should do lft

I 'scored' 0.3% with the DVLA and 0.20% with Medichecks. No alcohol for 2.5 years. How low you can go depends very much on your metabolism. All you can do is stay off the booze for a long as possible before the test.

Remember, the DVLA say that a reading <1.6% is indicative but NOT proof of no recent excessive alcohol consumption.
can i ask what tests the dvla do is it cdt or hair tests

Hi 220899, right sounds a good idea! Better to wait the extra month or 2 rather than apply too early and have it rejected. It might be worth messaging luna2000 on here, she's been in exactly the same boat as us and has got her licence back. I don't think it's worth getting a private CDT test done, but definitely worth getting the LFT'S (liver function tests as they're now called) every 3 months by your gp.
Definitely worth messaging luna2000 she might have a better idea. Please keep me updated, as there's not many of us in the same situation as I've seen on here. Hope to speak to you soon 👍

Hi 220899, right sounds a good idea! Better to wait the extra month or 2 rather than apply too early and have it rejected. It might be worth messaging luna2000 on here, she's been in exactly the same boat as us and has got her licence back. I don't think it's worth getting a private CDT test done, but definitely worth getting the LFT'S (liver function tests as they're now called) every 3 months by your gp.
Definitely worth messaging luna2000 she might have a better idea. Please keep me updated, as there's not many of us in the same situation as I've seen on here. Hope to speak to you soon 👍
Thank you soo much I’ll keep you updated

Never heard of them doing hair tests (which will be for drugs.) CDT is normally a blood test and for drugs they will ask for a urine sample.
Aw thank you....my dctr said they do hair tests....I thought I'd not heard that mentioned before xx

Hi diesel2

I have attached the two parts of the letter stating I have to provide evidence. I will be ringing DVLA this morning and ask to speak to a medical doctor to ask what they want. I’ve got a feeling I’m going to have to pay for these evidence tests throughout the year if my GP is reluctant to carry them out due to them being a private matter and not NHS work .... more expense!!! View attachment 3View attachment 4
How can the DVLA tell you not to do something that is legal?

Do you not think I have a chance of challenging the decision because I went to the doctor 2 and a half years ago? I feel like they are basing their decision on the information from then and not now? My medical came back as satisfactory and I’m not the person I was then. It seems so unfair you’re judged and punished when you were asking for help???
Yes call out for help and your screwed in this country.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off