Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
As the others have said - the dvla wont take your word for abstinence / moderation and want evidence.
You will need 3 or 4 LFT results over the last year to prove to them you dont have a problem anymore and a date on your medical record of when you stopped drinking (not that it actually proves anything other than liver function, hence the use of cdt test by the DVLA but thats another matter).
This is the proof they want and will accept (even though they dont officially reveal what they will and wont accept as evidence).
Hi thank you for the input,I have recorded my last drink with GP and my worker from another agency,I am booked in for bloods to be done along with an LFT so that I can then start taking Disulfiram (Antabuse) taking this alone will indicate no alcohol intake what so ever because would make me violently sick,but I will also have LFT's as extra evidence of no alcohol abuse. The Antabuse was my own choice.

Hi thank you for the input,I have recorded my last drink with GP and my worker from another agency,I am booked in for bloods to be done along with an LFT so that I can then start taking Disulfiram (Antabuse) taking this alone will indicate no alcohol intake what so ever because would make me violently sick,but I will also have LFT's as extra evidence of no alcohol abuse. The Antabuse was my own choice.

Hi Dee,

Please don't think I'm speaking out of turn, but is taking Antabuse a wise move? I'm just thinking that from the DVLA's point of view, they may see that as you are struggling to stop drinking on your own, and if you haven't had a drink since October I would argue you don't really need it? Speaking from experience I know the DVLA will jump on any reason to delay giving you your licence back, so I would advise against it, unless you really feel it will help with your drinking, as ultimately, that is what is more important here, even more important than your driving licence.

What worked for me (eventually) was regular check ins with the same GP, a couple of voluntary liver function tests and patience!

Good luck

Hi Dee,

Please don't think I'm speaking out of turn, but is taking Antabuse a wise move? I'm just thinking that from the DVLA's point of view, they may see that as you are struggling to stop drinking on your own, and if you haven't had a drink since October I would argue you don't really need it? Speaking from experience I know the DVLA will jump on any reason to delay giving you your licence back, so I would advise against it, unless you really feel it will help with your drinking, as ultimately, that is what is more important here, even more important than your driving licence.

What worked for me (eventually) was regular check ins with the same GP, a couple of voluntary liver function tests and patience!

Good luc

Hi Dee,

Good luck
I was thinking tha,but when I mentioned it to my worker he advised that it would go in my favour,its not 100% yet so i will have the bloods and the LFT and go from there,my DVLA medical will be before the blood and LFT,I will reply to this thread after my medical on Tuesday to let yous k ow how it went.

Hi Dee,

Good luck
Fact he has been off it for 6 months seems strange to go on the antabuse medication. I was offered it some years back but declined due to the side affects. It may go in favour but speed to your GP first i would dee.

Fact he has been off it for 6 months seems strange to go on the antabuse medication. I was offered it some years back but declined due to the side affects. It may go in favour but speed to your GP first i would dee.
It was just mentioned at a meeting I was at,I dont want to drink again it causes me nothing but problems so thought ot would be a good idea,it would take away any temptation if a did have any in the future,but I am going to wait until medical is out the way,see what happens with the wiz the history check,then take matters from there

It was just mentioned at a meeting I was at,I dont want to drink again it causes me nothing but problems so thought ot would be a good idea,it would take away any temptation if a did have any in the future,but I am going to wait until medical is out the way,see what happens with the wiz the history check,then take matters from there
Dee I would be careful about taking the Antabuse. Generally, GP's will only prescribe this if somebody is struggling with staying off the booze. I wouldn't be surprised if DVLA seeing somebody prescribed a withdrawal drug would suggest it shows evidence of dependence and insist on 12 months abstinence from the time of the prescription. I may be wrong, but this would seem to follow their logic!

Hi how are you getting on with your application

Dee I would be careful about taking the Antabuse. Generally, GP's will only prescribe this if somebody is struggling with staying off the booze. I wouldn't be surprised if DVLA seeing somebody prescribed a withdrawal drug would suggest it shows evidence of dependence and insist on 12 months abstinence from the time of the prescription. I may be wrong, but this would seem to follow their log

Hi,I've already made the application and have my medical booked for tuesday,I just got the form send tit away with payment,then recieved the letter to book medical,down that then found this forum,didnt know how much was required of me to get my licence back until i came here,havent had any other letters or any forms i thought it was all just done at the medical,will come back tuesday after medical and updtae

Dee I would be careful about taking the Antabuse. Generally, GP's will only prescribe this if somebody is struggling with staying off the booze. I wouldn't be surprised if DVLA seeing somebody prescribed a withdrawal drug would suggest it shows evidence of dependence and insist on 12 months abstinence from the time of the prescription. I may be wrong, but this would seem to follow their logic!
Hi ,I have thought about it again and think yous are right,i wont be going ahead with it,I am going to have the medical on tuesday and just take it from there,see what the DVLA say next,will come back on tuesday and update

Hi,that's me just had my medical,was honest with everything ,he said there was no issues with him but I will probly be brought back for a urine test because of the drug misuse within last 3 years,said not guaranteed but more than likely.Im glad it's out the way,thanks for all the advice from people will keep this post upto date when I have next had contact from the DVLA

Hi,that's me just had my medical,was honest with everything ,he said there was no issues with him but I will probly be brought back for a urine test because of the drug misuse within last 3 years,said not guaranteed but more than likely.Im glad it's out the way,thanks for all the advice from people will keep this post upto date when I have next had contact from the DVLA
Hi have you recorded your sobriety and last drink date with your GP x

I think you are being very optimistic to expect any progress by Tuesday, they may well not have even received the blood results by then, let alone scanned it on to their system and considered it.

I think you are being very optimistic to expect any progress by Tuesday, they may well not have even received the blood results by then, let alone scanned it on to their system and considered it.
I am just gny chase it up after a week if no news then al fone again a week later

When you have to prove no alcohol do you stop driving for this year? Or carry on whilst testing? I was in a rehabilitation centre last February and have a letter stating that I have been abstinent since, will this be enough?

When you have to prove no alcohol do you stop driving for this year? Or carry on whilst testing? I was in a rehabilitation centre last February and have a letter stating that I have been abstinent since, will this be enough?
If DVLA say you have to prove abstinence for a year, they do not give you a licence in the meantime. They would not find out fir 12 months that your CDT score was still high and you had been drinking like a fish the whole time... whilst still driving!
once they are satisfied that you have been abstinent for 12 months from the request they will grant a licence for 12 months and then require further evidence after that.
If you were in rehab in February last year, what evidence do you have of abstinence other than a letter? Who wrote it and what evidence did they have to be able to state your abstinence for 14 months?

Morning

As Price1367 has stated, proving a period of abstinence means you cannot drive until the DVLA are satisfied you are no longer a risk!!!

Having found myself in this situation myself during my drink driving ban, the only way of proving abstinence from alcohol is getting regular LFTs from your GP.

Some members on this site have paid for private CDTs, but the DVLA will not consider these as the evidence can not be validated or substantiated. Private CDTs are fine for your own piece of mind, but they will be a waste of money if you are planning on using them as 'evidence' to present to the DVLA.

There is an old saying - ''if it isn't written down - it hasn't happened!''. I once spoke to a drink driver who was turned down for his licence after passing his HRO medical because he had never visited his GP in X number of years. Even though he had made the necessary changes to his lifestyle, there was nothing documented on his medical history that proved he had maintained abstinence so he had the painful experience of waiting longer for his licence from the DVLA.

As I said, the only way forward for proving abstinence is maintaining regular contact with your GP and requesting LFTs every few months.

Good luck.

CJ

Hi there. I recently had my medical and DVLA have written to me telling me i have to provide evidence that I have not had any alcohol for a year. I went to my doctors straight away and logged with then that I have stopped drinking and asked them to do regular testing. They refused to do this saying it’s not NHS work and to speak to the DVLA and ask them what to do. I phoned DVLA and they told me that they need regular testing and I have to provide the evidence??? I explained my doctor was reluctant to do this but they told me to ring the doctor and tell them to ring the DVLA and ask to speak to a doctor in the medical department to explain how to start providing the evidence. I phoned the doctor back, he’s still saying it’s private work but said he would call them.... NEXT THURSDAY!!! That’s another week gone by!!! I’m at my wits end here, how the hell do I prove my abstinence from alcohol?? I’m going to ring the DVLA tomorrow morning and ask to speak to a doctor myself, I can’t wait another week I want to get the ball rolling. Can anyone shed any light on how you prove to the DVLA you have been abstinent from alcohol for a year?
My cdt test came back 1.0% but still refused they saying I am dependent how can I be with that score don't make sense carnt get hold of dvla what to do now how can I show evidence

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off