Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Why where you refused if you dont mind me asking,I have my medical in just over a weeks time and never been so stressed and worried in my life.
I have to refused as I was classed as dependant, I will have been sober for 1 year next week. I have had regular LFT, I have reapplied for my licence and I am waiting on a letter to book my medical.
Do you have history of alcohol with your GP?

I have to refused as I was classed as dependant, I will have been sober for 1 year next week. I have had regular LFT, I have reapplied for my licence and I am waiting on a letter to book my medical.
Do you have history of alcohol with your GP?
Hi,a have yeah but not in the past 6 years and wasnt dependant although in 2019 I had an issue with illegal substances which is logged on the GP system I know the DVLA might class me as dependentbut am hoping it just goes as far as misuse,I am with a new GP now which I think is going to cause me even longer to wait while they check,I havent had a drink since February other than 2 buds I had at the end of october that I wasnt going to admit to after finding this forum however I am reluctant to not be as honest as possible as I would rather ithe year started from october rather than it being found dependant refused and having to wait a full year,did your year sober start from the date you last told them you had a drink or from the date you where refused?and did the doctor give you lfts no bother?I am booked in for bloods to be done where I am sure they check your liver function for antabuse because I never want to be back on drink and that is just an extra barrier,do you think this would be enough if I am refused to do a year abstinence
Do you have history of alcohol with your GP

Dee, first thing is don't fret. The medical is a standard procedure where the Dr will check for signs of alcohol misuse in the form of enlarged liver etc., they will check blood pressure and eyes (both for vision and for signs of jaundice). The questionnaire is simple, and you really need to be honest and truthful. I'm pretty sure that most people who have had their downfall with the questions have been due to them being less than truthful. The thing is, somebody saying they are tea-total and they have not drank for 10 years then being contradicted by the medical results or notes with a GP/other agency open up further concerns on behalf of DVLA.

Ensure that your GP is on board with your re-application, make sure they have up to date notes on your current situation so they are not having to rely on old notes. Most GP's are genuinely there to help, so discuss with them and I'm sure everything will be fine!
Hi Big Tom,I have just been on the DVLA website and it says that the dependency that results in refusal is dependent in the last 12 months,otherwise with a previous history before the 12 months would indicate you would get a temporary licence,do you have any information regarding this,I have absolutely been through everything and these comment sections 2 and 3 times trying to list Putin at ease and the DVLA website is where I have found that ease lol but its reading other people's comments that have my head in a twist

You are talking about two different things.
DVLA do ask currently about any history of alcohol dependence or abuse, going back 6 years.
If that is confirmed in the report, then they look for evidence of abstention for 12 months or controlled drinking for 6 months respectively.
Hi price,so see if my last recorded was exactly 6 years ago as was at start of 2015,but had an issue in 2019 with cociane misuse which I am going to declare because that was within 3 years,but nothing since 2019 so can answer no to the question have youisused I'm the last 6 months and no to have misused alcohol in the last 6 month,but in the last year have only used no more than 6 units,what would you imagine outcome might be as you sound pretty clued up o the DVLA medical,and I will be being 100% honest a want the best chance n cant be dealing with any slip ups that will cause delays,and will my last drink date be when the year of abstinence would start from or the 6month if misuse?

Hi price,so see if my last recorded was exactly 6 years ago as was at start of 2015,but had an issue in 2019 with cociane misuse which I am going to declare because that was within 3 years,but nothing since 2019 so can answer no to the question have youisused I'm the last 6 months and no to have misused alcohol in the last 6 month,but in the last year have only used no more than 6 units,what would you imagine outcome might be as you sound pretty clued up o the DVLA medical,and I will be being 100% honest a want the best chance n cant be dealing with any slip ups that will cause delays,and will my last drink date be when the year of abstinence would start from or the 6month if misuse?
No more than 6 units on 1 occasion I meant to write

You are talking about two different things.
DVLA do ask currently about any history of alcohol dependence or abuse, going back 6 years.
If that is confirmed in the report, then they look for evidence of abstention for 12 months or controlled drinking for 6 months respectively.

Dee1990 said:
No more than 6 units on 1 occasion I meant to write

Hi Big Tom,I have just been on the DVLA website and it says that the dependency that results in refusal is dependent in the last 12 months,otherwise with a previous history before the 12 months would indicate you would get a temporary licence,do you have any information regarding this,I have absolutely been through everything and these comment sections 2 and 3 times trying to list Putin at ease and the DVLA website is where I have found that ease lol but its reading other people's comments that have my head in a twist
Dee, you are babbling now and keep asking the same question on different threads to different people in different ways. Your sentences do not make any sense either....

DVLA are looking at risk. Is this person who has been banned for drink/drugs related offences a risk of reoffending? Obviously they do not know about everybody's individual circumstances and therefore have to be a bit widespread in their enquiries. The DVLA medical is to get a snapshot of someone's situation, at this point in time. Has the individual got any signs of alcohol dependence or misuse? This is checked by the medical, the CDT blood test and the questionnaire. In many instances they also write to the GP to get details of the individual notes. Does this individual have any history that may indicate they may be a risk if their licence is reissued?

Somebody may have been classed as dependent/misuse in the past, however if they can show that they have overcome this (by show, I mean prove - the GP is one of the best forms of proof that DVLA will accept), then they will still consider reissuing a licence, albeit maybe a limited 1 or 3 year medical licence.

Looking what I can see from your posts (quite difficult to read...) you previously had an alcohol issue, however you have now been abstinent for over a year (apart from the 2 Bud's you had in October). You also state that you had issues with drugs from 2019 that is recorded with the GP. At the medical, you will be given the questionnaire which you just need to be answering honestly. I believe your CDT will be fine, but I believe after the medical they will write to your GP and send them a questionnaire that is different to the one you fill in (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...R8030 DD2 attachment.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1.) As you can see from this, they will ask about your record on drink and drugs. Once filled in by the GP, if it mentions the drug issue, when they send back to DVLA you may be required to do another DVLA medical, but this time with a urine test to check for drugs in your system.

DVLA will not take just your word on things, so regarding the date of last drink they will accept what the GP says. If you have been seeing the GP and have noted with them that you haven't drank since Feb 2020, this is what they will accept if the other checks back this up.

If they do class you as dependent and ask for 12 months proof of abstinence, they will not do it from October just because you state that is when you last drank. They will presume you are lying and will base it from when you have proof of not drinking from, or the date of refusal (whichever is later), so I'd just forget about the drinks you had in October - they are irrelevant.

So down to my advice - Speak to your GP now and explain you are reapplying for your licence and need their help. Get it noted that you haven't drank since Feb 2020, explain that the drugs issue is now in the past and you are now clean. Ask them to ensure that your notes are all up to date. Ask for an LFT test to help with your application.

Last edited:
Dee, you are babbling now and keep asking the same question on different threads to different people in different ways. Your sentences do not make any sense either....

DVLA are looking at risk. Is this person who has been banned for drink/drugs related offences a risk of reoffending? Obviously they do not know about everybody's individual circumstances and therefore have to be a bit widespread in their enquiries. The DVLA medical is to get a snapshot of someone's situation, at this point in time. Has the individual got any signs of alcohol dependence or misuse? This is checked by the medical, the CDT blood test and the questionnaire. In many instances they also write to the GP to get details of the individual notes. Does this individual have any history that may indicate they may be a risk if their licence is reissued?

Somebody may have been classed as dependent/misuse in the past, however if they can show that they have overcome this (by show, I mean prove - the GP is one of the best forms of proof that DVLA will accept), then they will still consider reissuing a licence, albeit maybe a limited 1 or 3 year medical licence.

Looking what I can see from your posts (quite difficult to read...) you previously had an alcohol issue, however you have now been abstinent for over a year (apart from the 2 Bud's you had in October). You also state that you had issues with drugs from 2019 that is recorded with the GP. At the medical, you will be given the questionnaire which you just need to be answering honestly. I believe your CDT will be fine, but I believe after the medical they will write to your GP and send them a questionnaire that is different to the one you fill in (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...R8030 DD2 attachment.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1.) As you can see from this, they will ask about your record on drink and drugs. Once filled in by the GP, if it mentions the drug issue, when they send back to DVLA you may be required to do another DVLA medical, but this time with a urine test to check for drugs in your system.

DVLA will not take just your word on things, so regarding the date of last drink they will accept what the GP says. If you have been seeing the GP and have noted with them that you haven't drank since Feb 2020, this is what they will accept if the other checks back this up.

If they do class you as dependent and ask for 12 months proof of abstinence. They will not do it from October just because you state that is when you last drank, they will presume you are lying and will base it from when you have proof of not drinking from, or the date of refusal (whichever is later), so I'd just forget about the drinks you had in October - they are irrelevant.

So down to my advice - Speak to your GP now and explain you are reapplying for your licence and need their help. Get it noted that you haven't drank since Feb 2020, explain that the drugs issue is now in the past and you are now clean. Ask them to ensure that your notes are all up to date. Ask for an LFT test to help with your application.
I do appreciate you taking the time to explain things in that much detail,however it is the same questions I have been asking on other threads,maybe worded different in some but overall the same,I just wanted as much peoples opinions/advice as alot have had different experiences,because my medical isn't far away. My current doctor I have only been with since about april last year,I am just hoping they can access my medical records rather than having the DVLA send the form to my previous doctor,I have an appointment on monday and will hopefully get everything I need sorted out then,I wont bother posting again but thanks for you're advice

Dee, I was trying to stay polite, but bigtom is right, you at posting messages all over the place, with different information and as you post, your list of past woes grow. People have advised about alcohol, then you throw some past medication into the mix, then illegal drug use! I makes it hard to give advice on your prospects when different things surface a bit at a time.
The advice you have from Bigtom above is correct and unless you have anything else that you have not yet told uk (?) I think you should accept that as the best advice that can be offered on how to proceed with getting your licence back.

Dee, I was trying to stay polite, but bigtom is right, you at posting messages all over the place, with different information and as you post, your list of past woes grow. People have advised about alcohol, then you throw some past medication into the mix, then illegal drug use! I makes it hard to give advice on your prospects when different things surface a bit at a time.
The advice you have from Bigtom above is correct and unless you have anything else that you have not yet told uk (?) I think you should accept that as the best advice that can be offered on how to proce
Whe I first started posting I didnt realise that the drug use in 2019 would have been a problem because it was an alcohol related ban and I hadn't seen the forms that where to be filled out,that's why I didnt mention it at first,after seeing other posts about drug misuse and prescribed medications,seeing the forms that where to be filled out by me and by the doctor,I thought I would post with all the issues I have had because how much information they require to progress with my application,and no there is nothing else I need to tell the UK,I have taken Big Tom's advice and am grateful for it,I just wont post again or be back with my experience after medical.

Dee, don’t take offence at what has been said, you will have seen that advice is given here in good faith, but it has to be based on sufficient detail to be of use to someone. there are plenty of posts on here giving advice about drink driving, but with drugs background, prescribed or illegal. It looks like you have been reading many posts on here during your membership.
People have taken trouble to advise you about alcohol, then had to revise it to include prescribed medication, then revise it again because of cocaine use. We don't know what your issue are so potentially could have reassured you that there should be no problem for you With the application. Now your can of worms mean that you may well have to address your application in several ways and Bigtom took the trouble to set this out for you, despite feeling (as I do) frustration at the drip feed of your circumstances.
Your response is to say “fine, I will go away and not post again (your choice but unnecessary) and “ I will not beback with my experience after my medical.” Now this is disappointing. You have come for advice, received plenty and because you don’t like being told politely that you have not presented your circumstances very well, you will not bother offering any informationthat you gain from your medical for others with your medical background to benefit from.
Please reconsider what you have said and put something back into this site.

Whe I first started posting I didnt realise that the drug use in 2019 would have been a problem because it was an alcohol related ban and I hadn't seen the forms that where to be filled out,that's why I didnt mention it at first,after seeing other posts about drug misuse and prescribed medications,seeing the forms that where to be filled out by me and by the doctor,I thought I would post with all the issues I have had because how much information they require to progress with my application,and no there is nothing else I need to tell the UK,I have taken Big Tom's advice and am grateful for it,I just wont post again or be back with my experience after medical.
Dee, please don't take offence. I, for one, am not someone to beat around the bush and will say things as they are. Please come back and tell us about your medical etc., we are all here to help each other, you letting us know how things go will possibly help others in the future. My post just showed the frustration in trying to weed out the information that you had posted, as it was in fits and starts. It is much easier to be upfront right from the start and to state facts and not waffle on.

Dee, please don't take offence. I, for one, am not someone to beat around the bush and will say things as they are. Please come back and tell us about your medical etc., we are all here to help each other, you letting us know how things go will possibly help others in the future. My post just showed the frustration in trying to weed out the information that you had posted, as it was in fits and starts. It is much easier to be upfront right from the start and to state facts and not waffle on.
I did take it a little to heart,and I do appreciate the honesty of your comment,I should have maybe done more reading and put all the information needed in 1 post,I will come back after my medical,would be very rude of me not to as the information and advice you and anybody else has provided has helped,otherwise I would have been going in clueless to any background checks or anything,so thank you and anybody else that reads this,sorry for the confusing posts

Dee, don’t take offence at what has been said, you will have seen that advice is given here in good faith, but it has to be based on sufficient detail to be of use to someone. there are plenty of posts on here giving advice about drink driving, but with drugs background, prescribed or illegal. It looks like you have been reading many posts on here during your membership.
People have taken trouble to advise you about alcohol, then had to revise it to include prescribed medication, then revise it again because of cocaine use. We don't know what your issue are so potentially could have reassured you that there should be no problem for you With the application. Now your can of worms mean that you may well have to address your application in several ways and Bigtom took the trouble to set this out for you, despite feeling (as I do) frustration at the drip feed of your circumstances.
Your response is to say “fine, I will go away and not post again (your choice but unnecessary) and “ I will not beback with my experience after my medical.” Now this is disappointing. You have come for advice, received plenty and because you don’t like being told politely that you have not presented your circumstances very well, you will not bother offering any informationthat you gain from your medical for others with your medical background to benefit from.
Please reconsider what you have said and put something back into this site.
I know that was pretty pretty of me,I just took it a bit hard,if you read the reply I have just put on Big Tom's post,I know people have took the time and as I said to him,I should have had ally facts straight before posting then posting then posting,and making it confusing for yous to give the best advice,thank toys for your honesty I will be back because if weren't for yous I would be clueless to any of this,so for the petty " I wont be back " comment I apologise,thanks for the replys and I will be sure to let yous know how my medical goes.

Thank you for reconsidering, Dee.
I think this forum is unique in offering advice but also support. I also post on Peppipoo.org, a site where people go with assorted motoring problems and they are very good at making the law clear, they do not do the support it at all, just give facts.
Then there are places that offer tea and sympathy, like you would get at the pub from your mates, but with very little factual stuff to back it up.
That is why I like drink-driving.org and continue to support it.

Thank you for reconsidering, Dee.
I think this forum is unique in offering advice but also support. I also post on Peppipoo.org, a site where people go with assorted motoring problems and they are very good at making the law clear, they do not do the support it at all, just give facts.
Then there are places that offer tea and sympathy, like you would get at the pub from your mates, but with very little factual stuff to back it up.
That is why I like drink-driving.org and continue to support it.
Yeah it definitely is,before comming on here I thought the medical was just a standard examination to make sure you where fit to drive,not background checks for decency and stuff going back 6 years,you should be made aware how extensive the requirements actually are when you are banned,things would be alot different for me just now,I wouldnt have taken any my problems to my GP.thats great that you take such time with your input in all these different places it does really help people understand what to expect

Hi honest man,I have my medical on the 23rd of this month and havent been worried up until now on reading alot of the posts,I have had an issue about 6 years ago with alcohol although I wasnt dependant was more just binge drinking,and in 2019 had a issue with illegal substances that where logged with my doctor,I habent been on any detox's or anything before,I do get mitrazapine for anxiety and now and again get 2ml diazepam to attend some appointments which can be confirmed by my doctor,I am going to be truthful on my medical questionnaire even tho by readingaome of these posts that seems to have been some people's downfall,I havent had a drink since 2019 do you have any input on what I should do at medical,I know the cdt is goin to be fine but after reading on here it foeant even seem that the outcome of that is relevant if you dont get the right answers from the GP.
Your all day bro, just get a load of movies streaming, plenty of munchies, ask ya Dr for a few Benzos (SLEEPING ISSUES, NOT BOOZE, that monkey is a wrong un ain't it for 4 days) 3 weeks, loads of vitamin drinks, milk thistle or Thiamine for 2 weeks, the last week pure multi vits only, you'll be dancing after it m8,,, if you don't take benzos, then ya ain't fibbing, good luck 👍

never ask your gp for "benzos" thats a red flag for drug seeking behaviour, now if you say your having trouble sleeping thats another matter, you may get benzos, they may give your something else or nothing at all.

Last edited:
Your all day bro, just get a load of movies streaming, plenty of munchies, ask ya Dr for a few Benzos (SLEEPING ISSUES, NOT BOOZE, that monkey is a wrong un ain't it for 4 days) 3 weeks, loads of vitamin drinks, milk thistle or Thiamine for 2 weeks, the last week pure multi vits only, you'll be dancing after it m8,,, if you don't take benzos, then ya ain't fibbing, good luck 👍
I dont need them for sleeping or for booze mate and the doctor knows that,I know the medical its self is going to be fine as I have been sober over a year other than a couple of beers nearly 5 months ago,so dont need milk thistle or anything,I work out eat clean,drink over 2 litres of water a day plenty black unsweetened coffee,my cdt will be fine,its the history with the doctor that is going to cause me problems,I know I went a bit overboard on questions i just panicked when reading all different posts because me medical is so close,but I know I just need to deal with whatever happens,av waited this long another 6 months ain't going to kill me,but thanks for your reply its appreciated

As the others have said - the dvla wont take your word for abstinence / moderation and want evidence.
You will need 3 or 4 LFT results over the last year to prove to them you dont have a problem anymore and a date on your medical record of when you stopped drinking (not that it actually proves anything other than liver function, hence the use of cdt test by the DVLA but thats another matter).
This is the proof they want and will accept (even though they dont officially reveal what they will and wont accept as evidence).

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off