Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Up until a few years ago i was doing upwards of 200 units a week and working 24/7 running my construction firm and never ever suffered with hang overs, Comes with the job as been in building and construction for over 30 years and most of the lads tend to be boozers . Work hard play hard

My point was that even if u stick to the government limit DVLA label u in which way u take that units, I totally agree with the drink driving, I was done 11 years ago, had a clean licence for just over 20 years before that. I felt so ashamed of what I had done, I never applied for licence back. So I punished myself as well, for doing such a stupid dangerous thing, I just feel that DVLA are punishing people for silly things of the past

It doesn't matter if you drink your 14 units in one day or if you drink it across the week, the question is on average how many units do you consume a week, they do not ask if this is 2 units daily or in one sitting. Answering 14 will not throw up any red flags. Admitting to drinking anything more than 14 in a week is however a red flag.

Apparently if u spread out on every day it makes dependant, if u save it for 1 night it misuse, well they can use that if they want

I drank lager and real ale. I tended to stick with stuff like Heineken, Kronenbourg & San Miguel and as each one is 5% - it was three units a pint. Therefore, five pints would just put you one unit over the weekly recommended limit of 14.

Technically speaking you could get Mr Sensible who religiously has one pint of lager in the evening every day of the week to relax after his evening meal and he still drinks over the recommended weekly limit!!!

The government guidelines on alcohol consumption are simply that - guidance & not a benchmark. The weekly intake of units was 20 a few years ago then it was lowered to 14. Medical people can say what they want in my opinion because they move the goal posts on this subject from time to time which irrates me.

I personally think every single one of us should in theory recognise our own drink patterns and judge whether we are drinking too much or should cut back.

At the height of my drinking I knew I was dependant and I knew I was drinking units way off the scale. I now know that I am unable to ever have a safe relationship with alcohol because I am simply one of these people who's brain is wired differently - I simply cannot stop once I get the taste of it in my system.

Going back to the original thread - for anyone in my position, if you disclose even having one drink at Christmas or a cheeky tipple at a birthday meal the DVLA will knock you back from getting your licence back! From my own research on this subject the DVLA watch HRO drink drivers like a hawk & will scrutinise everything you do or say.

I'm presently serving my own ban and have been dry now for sometime. I would advise anyone in my position to follow suite but if you have been unfortunate to have had a slip up or fallen off the wagon you need to be VERY VERY mindful of declaring this! I have always been brought up to be honest & truthful but sadly in these circumstances you will not get any favours or recognition from the DVLA. Pleased be warned!

In a way thousands of non convicted UK driving licence holders are not being truthful everyday either! I know people with angina, diabetes, bad knees, vision problems and someone with a suicidal history - all these are notifiable conditions to the DVLA, but how many actually kindly let the DVLA know out of courtesy?

I rest my case.

CJ

I drank lager and real ale. I tended to stick with stuff like Heineken, Kronenbourg & San Miguel and as each one is 5% - it was three units a pint. Therefore, five pints would just put you one unit over the weekly recommended limit of 14.

Technically speaking you could get Mr Sensible who religiously has one pint of lager in the evening every day of the week to relax after his evening meal and he still drinks over the recommended weekly limit!!!

The government guidelines on alcohol consumption are simply that - guidance & not a benchmark. The weekly intake of units was 20 a few years ago then it was lowered to 14. Medical people can say what they want in my opinion because they move the goal posts on this subject from time to time which irrates me.

I personally think every single one of us should in theory recognise our own drink patterns and judge whether we are drinking too much or should cut back.

At the height of my drinking I knew I was dependant and I knew I was drinking units way off the scale. I now know that I am unable to ever have a safe relationship with alcohol because I am simply one of these people who's brain is wired differently - I simply cannot stop once I get the taste of it in my system.

Going back to the original thread - for anyone in my position, if you disclose even having one drink at Christmas or a cheeky tipple at a birthday meal the DVLA will knock you back from getting your licence back! From my own research on this subject the DVLA watch HRO drink drivers like a hawk & will scrutinise everything you do or say.

I'm presently serving my own ban and have been dry now for sometime. I would advise anyone in my position to follow suite but if you have been unfortunate to have had a slip up or fallen off the wagon you need to be VERY VERY mindful of declaring this! I have always been brought up to be honest & truthful but sadly in these circumstances you will not get any favours or recognition from the DVLA. Pleased be warned!

In a way thousands of non convicted UK driving licence holders are not being truthful everyday either! I know people with angina, diabetes, bad knees, vision problems and someone with a suicidal history - all these are notifiable conditions to the DVLA, but how many actually kindly let the DVLA know out of courtesy?

I rest my case.

CJ
If your last alcoholic drink was over a year ago, (and date documented with GP) surely you should be fairly confident of getting your licence back from DVLA - or am I just being naive? Talking about myself here,

If your last alcoholic drink was over a year ago, (and date documented with GP) surely you should be fairly confident of getting your licence back from DVLA - or am I just being naive? Talking about myself here,

Elsa

My last drink was on the 3rd August last year (2019). My ban comes to an end on or around the 13th December this year. As I am a HRO I'll have to do a medical and hopefully I will have completed one full year of sobriety by then. I'm still a while off yet but I've already had it documented by my GP with a LFT under my belt.

CJ

I have spoken with my doctor and going to have an LFT done in 3 months. What is the difference between that and the DVLA medical as she said they do not use the CDT method

Jesus your system went through a lot!
Up until a few years ago i was doing upwarears and most of the lads tend to be boozers . Work hard play hard
[/QUOTEhat's a lot of booze and your system adjusted to that amount of Alcohol!
But long term we all know the answer Topchippy
Yes your system felt with the abuse and at 200 units a week I couldnt imagine passing the CDT test because
I have spoken with my doctor and going to have an LFT done in 3 months. What is the difference between that and the DVLA medical as she said they do not use the CDT method
CDT is just more accurate , GGT will still give a good indication of a healthy alcohol free liver Although the DVLA no longer accept GGT your GP will we satisfied and that can only help when she's contacted on D DAY!

The difference les is that liver function test will pick up any infection or certain medications that will and can raise GGT giving a (false reading, metronidazole can do this) and CDT will accurately pinpoint alcohol without any interruption from infection or meds......

Yes mate, you have to see what your liver count is and I've no doubt with the drinking you've done it will be raised, you'll need to abstain then completely, if you've any chance `of your licence back, DVLA will not issue on abnormal blood markers......

Had liver tests done before and never any issues
Some people les can drink an unlimited amount of alcohol and not be affected, hopefully you fit in to this category, was working with a fella last week and the GP is doing all tests for cancer cause he's losing wait fast and rejecting food funny thing was he used to drink 12 cans a night (so he says) and on results of his liver function test all came back normal, however my wife is a nurse at one of the well known hospitals in the valleys and she sees this on a daily basis, one might be up in the 1000s and the next heavy drinker is normal......maybe your one of the lucky ones.....

Some people les can drink an unlimited amount of alcohol and not be affected, hopefully you fit in to this category, was working with a fella last week and the GP is doing all tests for cancer cause he's losing wait fast and rejecting food funny thing was he used to drink 12 cans a night (so he says) and on results of his liver function test all came back normal, however my wife is a nurse at one of the well known hospitals in the valleys and she sees this on a daily basis, one might be up in the 1000s and the next heavy drinker is normal......maybe your one of the lucky ones.....
Was something i had done all my life but as got older the last few years slowed up a lot

Hi all. just an update really on my application with the medical dvla, Ive been waiting since december for my suspended license to be returned to me, after many medicals & completed dd2 forms I now have to make an appointment with a doctor for a full medical ffs, & because of someone having Bat Soup for lunch & sending the world into melt down I cannot get a medical with any doctor anywhere, as the suspension was not even for drink driving it was through a liver problem & honest replies to my doctor that all this started ahhhhggggggg !!!!!!

I liked your comment Yaz totally understand your frustration and yes spot on with the meltdown all to save a few hundred thousand
Viruses are exactly that they attack the weak now we got global destruction because humans think there god an to many health professionals with shit advice and media hysteria ?
A generation has been wiped away with employment and children of our future will suffer repaying the debt!
But do they have the qualifications!
7.7 billion people inhabit this planet and assured 7 billion will suffer through loss of income into poverty pensions etc , future generations will multiply this figure trying to repay what's been hysterically thrown away
Viruses kill they alway will

Easier solution isolate the weak anyone over 60 stay indoors / give medical care at home within a controlled environment,
Ensure there fed ie food packages medicines free
Let the rest population build the resistance naturally

Far cheaper than the tiny purse of 350 billion cause that's a drop in the ocean to the fukup our government created 5 million will drop into unemployment ,
All industries are screaming for help , so that 350 billion won't save the mess

Nobody under 45 has died an those above with usually had underlying condition

Last edited:
I liked your comment Yaz totally understand your frustration and yes spot on with the meltdown all to save a few hundred thousand
Viruses are exactly that they attack the weak now we got global destruction because humans think there god an to many health professionals with shit advice
A generation has been wiped away with employment and children of our future will suffer repaying the debt!
But do they have the qualifications!

In Northern Ireland you have to re-do your driving test after a ban, all driving tests for 3 months have just been cancelled so no one here due to get off their ban will be able to. The reality is, call centres are closing. I live with 3 other friends, my first housemate's call centre in Belfast has been closed since last Tuesday and my other housemates closes on Friday, with my third housemate being made redundant by his.

With no functioning call centres and mail opened centres the DVLA will grind to a halt just like every other similar business model. A lot of people in Northern Ireland are in for a much longer wait than on the mainland.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off