Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Like you, I drink responsibly these days. We are better off saying we don't drink at all, just to be safe. Its not like they can monitor it!
I will keep in touch on here and let you know what’s going on etc. It’s good for others to read too so they can be prepared should it happen to them!!! Let me know how you’re getting on too.... good luck with the doctors tomorrow. I’ve spoken to my partners mum who I’m close to and she said she’ll come with me to the doctors to help me.

Hi guys
Just jumping in on this thread not supporting the DVLA.. remember dependency has a 3yr back history, alcohol abuse is 1 yr.
Sometimes they make no sense with there criteria but it's good pinkelephants doctor is now helping sort things out with history

Hi guys
Just jumping in on this thread not supporting the DVLA.. remember dependency has a 3yr back history, alcohol abuse is 1 yr.
Sometimes they make no sense with there criteria but it's good pinkelephants doctor is now helping sort things out with history
Do you not think I have a chance of challenging the decision because I went to the doctor 2 and a half years ago? I feel like they are basing their decision on the information from then and not now? My medical came back as satisfactory and I’m not the person I was then. It seems so unfair you’re judged and punished when you were asking for help???

I would challenge now. The worst that could happen is they say no, but it will be on record that the period of not being dependent started 2.5 years ago, so you could re-apply in 6 months or as soon as they respond. It's just a case of writing letters.

Hello everyone. I'm so glad I've found this forum as I'm in a similar position to both PinkElephant and Newleaf and it is such a relief to find that other people are in the same situation as no one I've spoken to, including my GP, has come across my situation before and I sure need some advice. I lost my licence approx 15 years ago following an accident on a very quiet country road where I live. No one else was involved but my car was a write-off.
I was banned for 2 years, reduced to 18 months following rehab driving course. In reality I was having a breakdown at the time and could not return to work and therefore could not afford to re-apply for my licence once the period of the ban elapsed. In fact I had to wait until my 60th birthday 3 years ago to have enough money to reapply for my licence and buy a car. In August 2015, at the age of 59, I suffered a traumatic fracture to my right femur due to osteoporosis but while in the operating theatre, I suffered organ failure and was actually pronounced dead. Miraculously, I survived and was put into a coma to recover. The cause of this trauma was given as alcoholic ketoacidosis, ie: dependence. I reapplied for my licence in February 2016, had a medical examination with blood test etc and got a 1 year licence. Same again the following year, I year licence which, technically expired July 2018 but was not recalled pending investigation, probably with a view to issuing a longer term licence. By this time I had completed 3 full years of abstinence, albeit only 2 during my period of licenced driving. The process was protracted; my GP initially responded by letter instead of the questionnaire but eventually I attended a medical end of November. On 13th March I got the disallowance letter. I do not have any details of the results of my blood test, nor does my GP who seemed completely bewildered by the disallowance but had to look-up the CDT assay test as he didn't know what it is. He is willing to help me challenge the decision, especially as I have a significant mobility problem following the femur fracture and subsequent fracture to my left tibia and I live in a very rural area. How do I go about obtaining the DVLA test results, please? My problem is that I had resumed drinking without realising I was required to remain abstinent and had said so on my questionnaire and so did my GP when completing the submission. Had I had the slightest idea that I was required to remain abstinent for any more than 2 years, I would not have jeopardised my licence for anything. Any observations on where I go from here would be very welcome.

Hi diesel2

I have attached the two parts of the letter stating I have to provide evidence. I will be ringing DVLA this morning and ask to speak to a medical doctor to ask what they want. I’ve got a feeling I’m going to have to pay for these evidence tests throughout the year if my GP is reluctant to carry them out due to them being a private matter and not NHS work .... more expense!!! View attachment 3View attachment 4
Same as mine.

I think this is a new strategy the DVLA are playing, but when your high risk the onus is on you to prove your worthy of a licence there is no right to hold a licence , this is why I stated to keep in touch with Doctor throughout,
I was fortunate enough to have foresight and kept contact with Doc and he gave me at least 6 blood checks no hassles
My GP says he cannot do the CDT test. Is that what your GP is doing, or just general blood test?

Hi Katya
I got atleast 8 full spectrum blood test not CDT over 2 years FREE, results are not conclusive with DVLA! trust me it goes a long long way getting your doctors backing!and his own confidence in you & seems the DVLA are relying more GPs advice along with there on Medical reports, my doctor even wrote a letter to the DVLA backing me up 100pcnt at no extra cost.

Last edited:
Hi Katya
I got atleast 8 full spectrum blood test not CDT over 2 years FREE, results are not conclusive with the DVLA! but trust me it goes a long long way in getting your doctors backing and his own confidence in you plus it seems the DVLA are relying more and more on GPs advice out with there on Medical reports, my doctor even wrote a letter to the DVLA backing me up 100pcnt at no extra cost.
Oh thanks craig121. I wasn't sure if a general test would have any influence with them. Wish I'd thought of this before, that's really encouraging.:)

Hello everyone. I'm so glad I've found this forum as I'm in a similar position to both PinkElephant and Newleaf and it is such a relief to find that other people are in the same situation as no one I've spoken to, including my GP, has come across my situation before and I sure need some advice. I lost my licence approx 15 years ago following an accident on a very quiet country road where I live. No one else was involved but my car was a write-off.
I was banned for 2 years, reduced to 18 months following rehab driving course. In reality I was having a breakdown at the time and could not return to work and therefore could not afford to re-apply for my licence once the period of the ban elapsed. In fact I had to wait until my 60th birthday 3 years ago to have enough money to reapply for my licence and buy a car. In August 2015, at the age of 59, I suffered a traumatic fracture to my right femur due to osteoporosis but while in the operating theatre, I suffered organ failure and was actually pronounced dead. Miraculously, I survived and was put into a coma to recover. The cause of this trauma was given as alcoholic ketoacidosis, ie: dependence. I reapplied for my licence in February 2016, had a medical examination with blood test etc and got a 1 year licence. Same again the following year, I year licence which, technically expired July 2018 but was not recalled pending investigation, probably with a view to issuing a longer term licence. By this time I had completed 3 full years of abstinence, albeit only 2 during my period of licenced driving. The process was protracted; my GP initially responded by letter instead of the questionnaire but eventually I attended a medical end of November. On 13th March I got the disallowance letter. I do not have any details of the results of my blood test, nor does my GP who seemed completely bewildered by the disallowance but had to look-up the CDT assay test as he didn't know what it is. He is willing to help me challenge the decision, especially as I have a significant mobility problem following the femur fracture and subsequent fracture to my left tibia and I live in a very rural area. How do I go about obtaining the DVLA test results, please? My problem is that I had resumed drinking without realising I was required to remain abstinent and had said so on my questionnaire and so did my GP when completing the submission. Had I had the slightest idea that I was required to remain abstinent for any more than 2 years, I would not have jeopardised my licence for anything. Any observations on where I go from here would be very welcome.
You need to ring the DVLA medical department and request a copy of your medical records. They’ll give you an email address to write and request them. You’ll need to quote your reference number which will be on your paperwork and any other info like date of birth, address etc. I sent the email and it took about a week for them to arrive.

I wonder how you got on. I have had same letter as my usual dr. Did not complete the questionaire himself and got a new, young dr who does not know me apart from one recent consultation re a sudden stressful incident in my family, and the dvla sent me the YOU MUST NOT DRIVE letter much to my shock!

After waiting weeks for a copy of this it turned out she had said I had been drinking 6 units a day for a month! I saw my regular dr about this and he told me she had logged on their system 6 units for one week, so he wrote to the dvla saying I had not drunk anything for a year, bar 2 cans of lager on one evening due to this sudden stressful incident, which I had told the other, new dr about. He said I was unaware of the abstinence for one year rule, and that I have no record of alcohol dependence.

They wrote back to me after 3 weeks, from their further evidence dept, but just explaining how they have rules for HROs and I do not fit the criteria. I have not drunk anything since the 2 cans and have been worried sick and angry at the unfairness. I have been back to see the dr who did the questionnaire and got her to write to them correcting her error. I had to be quite assertive with her as she insists on me saying the one week of drinking and is sticking to this.

I feel unlucky she did my form, I feel he should not have delegated what is, to me anyway, a very important form. I have seen him last week only to be told he does not want to ring the dvla, and will not support me anymore, which I think must be because of my insistence about the 2 cans situation. I will write to dvla myself trying to explain all this, but without his support they will probably make me do another year of abstinence with evidence, which they have not explained how to do, and am now feeling so pessimistic I am not hopeful of any improvement in my situation.

Would be grateful for any advice on this.

Hi Overthinker

HRO's are not normally required to be abstinent however the DVLA would require controlled drinking within government guidelines max 14 units per week! Abstinence is required for Dependant(1year) Missuse(6months)

The DVLA seem to be still reading the old report from the female doctor , you will definitely need your own Doctor to sort this mess out !& it won't be a quick process, You mentioned he will not speak with you #he has a duty of care if your version is correct and it might be worth taking this @ much higher level with Medical practioners complaints !! GP still refuses to speak ask for a copy of there complaints procedures

When the medical forms were being filled @the Doctors should of went over each question & answer with you and you sign the the forms as an agreement

Last edited:
Hi there our stories are vert similar same visit to Doctors years ago, I was given my license back for a year after my ban and then it was revoked, I have had a Doctors letter stating I havent had a drink for at least 12 months Blood test CDT 0.6 and medical Questionnaire for me and then one from my Doctors all stating I havent drunk for 12 months and they are now sending me for a medical. it will come back clear as its all true but I still think they will with hold my license and I will end up in court challenging it. I have been in touch with a Solicitor and been advised this ii not unusual for HRO and when it comes to court the DVLA dont always turn up ....what a shambles its been 4 months now of not being able to drive for no reason it really feels unfair. They ask you to prove you are abstinent for a year then dont take any evidence you send in such as my blood test.

Thanks for your replies. I have not written to dvla yet as I’m still traumatised by seeing my GP last Friday and him dropping his support of me, which had consisted of one short letter to dvla telling them I had had 2 cans of lager only and was not recorded as dependent with them, but which in their reply 3 weeks later they did not address and just ignored. I do not know if the letter from the younger doctor correcting the 4 weeks to 1week will make any difference.

I wake up with a thumping heart and churning stomach every day and i don’t deserve this as I have not drunk since 3.3.18, so have 15 months abstinence apart from the 2 cans which is being ignored. When I feel stronger I will write and try to put the record straight.

Are you paying a lot for your solicitor and why do you think it will not get your licence back, as you surely meet the criteria now? I don’t know whether to get a solicitor as I don’t have evidence for my abstinence from 3.3.18 to 27.2.19. I didn’t see my doctor and was naiive about the abstinence rule as dvla didn’t tell me, which I find grossly unfair in itself.

I also feel unnerved by my GP now and would like to change to another in the practice, but will that go against me? I will get seen every 3 months and request a LFT each time and log my sobriety, is this often enough?

When do you think I could apply again, 2 months before the 27.2.19 anniversary?

Thanks again.

Sorry Craig, forgot to mention that I am now scared of complaining to my GP practice because of the power they seem to have over HROs and could go out of their way to stop me ever having a licence!

My husband however thinks I should be complaining to the Practice over this terrible unjust mess they have made and for which I am suffering, not the doctor who made the mistakes in the first place and caused me so much grief. He also thinks my GP wants me to just go away rather than admit he should have completed the form himself, or at least checked it, and is annoyed I have had to challenge the young female GP and rock the boat!

I am back on antidepressants and wonder if this will go against me too (30 mg citalopram daily).

Thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off