Licence query

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rox99

Hello, my son’s situation ....

NI licence
English Court

He lost his licence after being involved in a minor crash the morning after a night out. He has (really I should say me and his dad) paid the financial cost of a written off car and a years insurance premiums just paid - but having read some posts on here, very grateful that the insurers didn’t pursue him for costs.

The 12 month ban didn’t really affect him as he went off to do a years study in a big city and didn’t need a car.

But my question is this ..... He didn’t have his licence taken from him, and says he was told he didn’t need to reapply but could drive again after the ban. No reapplication letter from the DVLA was sent.

So, now we don’t know what to do. Obviously he doesn’t want to drive, get stopped for something and then find out he has been driving illegally and end up in more trouble.

Could it be a NI/England blip where NI licences can’t be processed in the same way as English ones?

Can he find out the status of his licence without contacting Police or DVLA? He doesn’t want to open a can of worms if there is no need!

if anyone can help, I’d be very grateful!
thanks

Hi

You could try https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence to check the status of a driving licence.

I know that NI makes you take your test after a ban, but if the incident occurred in England this may not apply, not sure.

Edit: Just noticed the licence has to have been issued in England, Scotland or Wales.

Tricky one this, however after any ban by a court of law you will have to apply for your licence back (or resit) it does not automatically come through on its own after a ban....DVLA will of been notified by the courts....

If you lose your NI licence in England you still have to re-apply. Although we are in NI our licences are still issued by the DVLA in Swansea. Reapplication letters aren't sent to NI licence holders, you have to get the application yourself either from the internet or the post office.

Also your son's re-application can't be processed until his ban ends for an NI licence. Once the ban is finished or if it already is he can either apply to DVA NI for an NI licence if he has an NI address or the DVLA if he has an address anywhere else in the UK. However, with Covid-19 the DVLA aren't taking new applications unless your son is a health care worker.

His ban ended last August, but since he hasn’t needed it, hasn’t bothered about what to do next.
grice96- are you sure NI licences aren’t issued in Coleraine?

His ban ended last August, but since he hasn’t needed it, hasn’t bothered about what to do next.
grice96- are you sure NI licences aren’t issued in Coleraine?

Nope, DVA is based in Coleraine but our NI licences are actioned and issued in DVLA Swansea and posted. I got mine back after a ban last year and it had the Swansea address on the return on the back on the envelope.

The issue of re-doing the test isn’t clear either - guessing he might be as well to reapply using his English address to avoid it?

The issue of re-doing the test isn’t clear either - guessing he might be as well to reapply using his English address to avoid it?

You would have to ring DVA NI to find out of he has to re-take his test in order to be re-issued an NI licence, I'm not sure how that's enforced when you're banned in England. If you don't need an NI one then I would just apply for an English licence.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off