licence from dvla

Convicted Driver Insurance
just been on the phone to dvla got through quiet quick to be honest only waiting about 10 mins they told me that my application was not yet processed and this was sent on the 2nd of june now 6 weeks all but a day but they did tell me that my driving ban did end on the 19th of july so i can drive from the 20th of july and asked them even thou my application has not been processed can i still drive and i asked them this about 3 times cause as from next tuesday i will be having to drive 140 miles there and back to work each day has the bloke that was taking me to and from work cause we moved factories is retiring at the end of the week and again i asked them about driving 3 times over the phone and they asked if i sent the application was sent by signed for which i did special delivery and they said yes i am able to drive while the application is being processed and again i repeated this 3 times to them can i drive even thou i dont have a licence showing up they told me again yes cause i have proof of posting it to them.I also said to them i thought the appliction had to be accepted to be able to drive again she replied no you can drive while it is being processed again cause i have proof of postage to them.my insurance is already sorted believe it or not paying less than when i was banned thats from sainsburys insurance.
the insurance thing is amazing! how long was your ban, how old are you and doe you have any NCB?

I understand what you are saying but if the disqualification ends of a certain date aren’t you no longer disqualified? On my licence it says disqualification ends 31 July. What will it say after this point?

You only cease to be a banned driver when the DVLA re-issue your licence. On the 31st it will update to you holding no licence. It will only update to a full licence once they issue the licence. Your insurance policy will be void because a requirement of holding insurance in the UK is holding a full time licence. With a cancelled or voided insurance policy you will find it very difficult to get insurance for anywhere near a normal price.

Again, get in writing from the DVLA that you are allowed to drive the minute after the ban ends. On letterheaded DVLA paperwork. Section 88 only applies to renewals, this is not a renewal it's an application after a ban.

You only cease to be a banned driver when the DVLA re-issue your licence. On the 31st it will update to you holding no licence. It will only update to a full licence once they issue the licence. Your insurance policy will be void because a requirement of holding insurance in the UK is holding a full time licence. With a cancelled or voided insurance policy you will find it very difficult to get insurance for anywhere near a normal price.

Again, get in writing from the DVLA that you are allowed to drive the minute after the ban ends. On letterheaded DVLA paperwork. Section 88 only applies to renewals, this is not a renewal it's an application after a ban.
I agree with Grice, S88 refers to renewals. However, in these shifting interpretations from DVLA since Covid set in, I have emailed a contact I have at DVLA to see what their (current) interpretation of S88 is in relation to the end of disqualifications.
I agree it would be foolish to rely on a telephone conversation with a call handler to say I could drive after a disqualification.

I have spoken to three separate people in my insurance company who have all said that it is fine for me to be insured. I’m an honestly so confused at all this conflicting information. I believe what you are saying as it completely makes sense but I don’t understand why the insurance company are saying to me it is fine. Would it be better for me to cancel the insurance policy now and just wait till I actually have my licence back? It’s really stressful.

The only thing I can think is as you're not HRO and the DVLA are clearly struggling with the "COVID backlog", possibly the goalposts have been moved to accommodate that, but I'm not sure how that would work with the law etc, must be stressful.. I'd try to get something in writing before risking getting back behind the wheel. Good luck!

Until it shows you have a valid licence on their website or you have it in your hand then you should not be driving surly

I have a question regarding the insurance, whilst I am fully aware whilst disqualified you would not be insured to drive the car, but what if you purchase a vehicle before your ban ends, can you still be insured whilst it is parked on your drive?

I only ask this, as I don't want to buy a car and I am unable to obtain insurance and it gets stolen..

You would need the insure the car in the name of someone who holds a full UK licence. It's been covered well on the forum I the past, other users have had the insure in family members names.

The only caveat of this is that if they have their own car and it's still on the road then their no claims bonus does not apply and this would be a 0 years NCB policy.

I agree with Grice, S88 refers to renewals. However, in these shifting interpretations from DVLA since Covid set in, I have emailed a contact I have at DVLA to see what their (current) interpretation of S88 is in relation to the end of disqualifications.
I agree it would be foolish to rely on a telephone conversation with a call handler to say I could drive after a disqualification.

OK folks, I have had a reply from my contact at DVLA about eligibility to drive for drink drivers who are NOT in the HRO category.
It is not quite unequivocal, but does indicate that a drink driver CAN drive under S88 once their correct application is received at DVLA, if there are no medical contra indications. Of course this only kicks in when the actual disqualification has run out, it does not allow a person to drive when they have applied 56 days before the end of the ban, just because they have applied.

“Dear Mr Price,

Drivers whose disqualification period has ended and who have reapplied to DVLA for a new licence may be eligible to drive under S88 while they wait for their new licence, as long as they satisfy all the other qualifying criteria. The driver must decide for themselves whether they meet all the criteria by consulting the following information leaflet on GOV.UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla"

As you have indicated, many drivers contact DVLA to find out if they have section 88 cover to drive. DVLA cannot “confer” section 88, but can advise on what the qualifying criteria is.”

Do we need to let the insurance know we will be driving under section 88?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off