licence from dvla

Convicted Driver Insurance

shaun2020uk

I have checked online my licence still says i am banned until the 19th of july but issue number says 33 i have a old licence that ran out on the 4/11/13 which was issue 31 so i am right thinking that when the dvla wrote to me to send my licence back to them after being banned that would have been issue 32 correct me if i am wrong.i sent my application into to them on the 2nd of june.

thanks shaun

just been on the phone to dvla got through quiet quick to be honest only waiting about 10 mins they told me that my application was not yet processed and this was sent on the 2nd of june now 6 weeks all but a day but they did tell me that my driving ban did end on the 19th of july so i can drive from the 20th of july and asked them even thou my application has not been processed can i still drive and i asked them this about 3 times cause as from next tuesday i will be having to drive 140 miles there and back to work each day has the bloke that was taking me to and from work cause we moved factories is retiring at the end of the week and again i asked them about driving 3 times over the phone and they asked if i sent the application was sent by signed for which i did special delivery and they said yes i am able to drive while the application is being processed and again i repeated this 3 times to them can i drive even thou i dont have a licence showing up they told me again yes cause i have proof of posting it to them.I also said to them i thought the appliction had to be accepted to be able to drive again she replied no you can drive while it is being processed again cause i have proof of postage to them.my insurance is already sorted believe it or not paying less than when i was banned thats from sainsburys insurance.

Last edited:
just been on the phone to dvla got through quiet quick to be honest only waiting about 10 mins they told me that my application was not yet processed and this was sent on the 2nd of june now 6 weeks all but a day but they did tell me that my driving ban did end on the 19th of july so i can drive from the 20th of july and asked them even thou my application has not been processed can i still drive and i asked them this about 3 times cause as from next tuesday i will be having to drive 140 miles there and back to work each day has the bloke that was taking me to and from work cause we moved factories is retiring at the end of the week and again i asked them about driving 3 times over the phone and they asked if i sent the application was sent by signed for which i did special delivery and they said yes i am able to drive while the application is being processed and again i repeated this 3 times to them can i drive even thou i dont have a licence showing up they told me again yes cause i have proof of posting it to them.I also said to them i thought the appliction had to be accepted to be able to drive again she replied no you can drive while it is being processed again cause i have proof of postage to them.my insurance is already sorted believe it or not paying less than when i was banned thats from sainsburys insurance.
Omg this is amazing. I’m basically in the same situation as you my ban ends of July 31 but my application is somewhere with the dvla. I sent it on the 15th June so a little behind you.

I think they call this section 33 while your application is being processed

I think they call this section 33 while your application is being processed

Section 88 does not apply in this case. You have been misinformed by the DVLA, they have temporary staff working in their call centre on agency to cover striking staff and staff shortage. The person you spoke to does not have a clear understanding of section 88 of the road traffic act or how it only applies to medical renewals and those banned before 2013.

A condition of driving under section 88 is that you are not currently disqualified by a court, your licence will appear as disqualified until the DVLA actually issue your new licence, @price1367 can weigh in from the police perspective but you would be driving whilst disqualified until your licence is actually issued.

Section 88 does not apply in this case. You have been misinformed by the DVLA, they have temporary staff working in their call centre on agency to cover striking staff and staff shortage. The person you spoke to does not have a clear understanding of section 88 of the road traffic act or how it only applies to medical renewals and those banned before 2013.

A condition of driving under section 88 is that you are not currently disqualified by a court, your licence will appear as disqualified until the DVLA actually issue your new licence, @price1367 can weigh in from the police perspective but you would be driving whilst disqualified until your licence is actually issued.
Thank you. There really isn’t much clear guidance online about it.

Section 88 only applies if the original ban was before 1/6/2013 or if your current licence has expired whilst you are awaiting a medical review.

As Grice says, DVLA have either misinformed you, or you misheard (albeit on several occasions....) what they said! Generally they will not confirm if S88. applies, they will just say that it is up to you to confirm that you are eligible.

Driving will see you either breaking the law by driving whilst disqualified, or at least 'driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence'. As you will not have a licence, you will also be driving without insurance.

DVLA S.88 Leaflet

Last edited:
After reading these replies I decided to ring dvla up again spoke to them asked if they was working there or temp they was fall time not temp asked exactly the same questions and was give the same answer has long has I have sent in a application and it was signed for and have proof of postage my ban ends at midnight on the 19th and I am able to drive again on the 20th at 1 min past midnight and I again asked I have been informed you can’t drive till a new license as been issued they said the same thing I am able to drive while my application is processed

After reading these replies I decided to ring dvla up again spoke to them asked if they was working there or temp they was fall time not temp asked exactly the same questions and was give the same answer has long has I have sent in a application and it was signed for and have proof of postage my ban ends at midnight on the 19th and I am able to drive again on the 20th at 1 min past midnight and I again asked I have been informed you can’t drive till a new license as been issued they said the same thing I am able to drive while my application is processed
'sup to you, but you are wrong.....

YOU CANNOT DRIVE UNDER SECTION 88 BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE SAID. If you take insurance out, it will be void. If caught, you will be prosecuted. Theoretically the insurance company could also accuse you of fraud, cancel your policy and you will find it VERY difficult to get insurance going forwards.

Read the leaflet that I posted, you will see the last line in it states "IMPORTANT NOTE: It is your responsibility to make sure you meet the Section 88 criteria at all times while driving prior to receiving your licence."

How are you getting through to the dvla? Everytime I call I just get a message saying no advisors. What number do you call?

If you have any luck let me know what they say to you
I will do.
Iv actually written an email to my local mp and the transport secretary as I think the whole situation with the dvla is absolutely disgraceful. People are losing out on jobs due to this huge back log that has been created.
I did speak to my insurance company as I like you have already got it sorted the day after my ban ends. They have said I am still covered by insurance and that it won’t be void, Iv had this confirmed by 3 different people at the insurance company and have it in writing too.

Good to know so what the dvla told me then may be true could be doing things different with having a big back log and what they told me with my application being sent by signed for special delivery and u have proof of postage that while I am waiting for my application to process I am able to drive

Good to know so what the dvla told me then may be true could be doing things different with having a big back log and what they told me with my application being sent by signed for special delivery and u have proof of postage that while I am waiting for my application to process I am able to drive
Fingers crossed. I also sent mine recorded delivery and it was signed for a couple of days after I sent it. They should really change the system so that we can apply online as it’s just ridiculous.

Get this in writing from a higher up in the DVLA because it's in direct contravention of the law. You want it from at least a manager, I have a feeling they will not provide you this in writing. The DVLA aren't even supposed to tell you if you meet section 88 because it's down to the decision of your GP and meeting the criteria.

A call centre representative can not change the road traffic act, nor has there been any change in the wording of the road traffic act in recent years. Nor has there been an official announcement in a change of the rules of section 88 by the DVLA. Do not take the word of someone on a phone. Get this in writing on official DVLA letter headed paper work.

Last edited:
Get this in writing from a higher up in the DVLA because it's in direct contravention of the law. You want it from at least a manager, I have a feeling they will not provide you this in writing. The DVLA aren't even supposed to tell you if you meet section 88 because it's down to the decision of your GP and meeting the criteria.

A call centre representative can not change the road traffic act, nor has there been any change in the wording of the road traffic act in recent years. Nor has there been an official announcement in a change of the rules of section 88 by the DVLA. You are playing with jail time if caught driving whilst disqualified, do not take the word of someone on a phone. Get this in writing on official DVLA letter headed paper work.
I understand what you are saying but if the disqualification ends of a certain date aren’t you no longer disqualified? On my licence it says disqualification ends 31 July. What will it say after this point?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off