Jobs Following Conviction.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Norts

Established Member
More out of curiosity than anything - what did we do prior to being convicted, did we keep our jobs, and if not - what do we do now to pay the bills?

I'm going to say I worked for Queen & Country before I slipped into issues with drinking and got myself arrested. My employers offered me no support whatsoever and after an internal hearing I was dismissed. I'm now a labourer assisting a large construction firm at a local prison. Rubbish wages, but I actually prefer my current job!

I'm hoping I am not tempting fate here, but in the whole scheme of things I consider myself very fortunate in many respects as the vast majority of my job is dealing with customer companies on the phone and email in a 'logistics' environment, and I got banned in May last year when working from home was the norm and for me still is, I am now in the last few weeks of my ban.

Over the years my boss has become a good friend of mine so when I made the call to let him know (I was still sh!tting myself mind you) what had happened he told me that many years ago he was caught too, and with a reading significantly higher than me so he said he would be a bit of a hypocrite if he judged me on it. Still, HR had to be informed and I didnt hide anything, so there was a very nervous period but that went quiet too.

I'm not a huge earner, but it covers my bills and extras, but then again I have a small old house and a crap old car. I live close to the office so have never really been bothered about flash cars.

I work in an industry where redundancy isnt a rare thing, so bans or not I have always had the mentality that if I would shovel sh!t of the streets if I had to in order to pay the bills.....been close more than once over the years too !!

That really sucks what your previous employers did, I am sorry to hear that, but good for you not letting what happened stop you from getting other work. And its not always all about the cash as you have pointed out. You prefer your new job...that counts for a hell of a lot so in that regard I am very pleased for you !

I was caught with a reading of 45 in 1994, and banned for 12 months. I didn't tell anyone except my parents, not work, not even the insurance company (don't do this BTW). I have never told anyone else, and it never even occurred to me that I should until I joined this forum.

Fortunately I was commuting by train to London for work, so didn't need a car.

My team and I had a basic criminal records check in 2011, and nothing came up. Just today I did an annual online course where you have to click a checkbox saying you have never had any criminal convictions, spent or unspent. I always click it, as asking for spent convictions is illegal anyway, unless the job is on a particular list.

Overall it didn't affect me much, but I would never take such risks nowadays. Fortunately the internet didn't exist in those days, and nothing was in the press (as far as I'm aware).

I received a final written warning for bringing my company into disrepute. I was angry at the time as didn’t feel it was relevant, but been promoted many times since and am now grateful that I didn’t throw my toys out the pram about it.

More out of curiosity than anything - what did we do prior to being convicted, did we keep our jobs, and if not - what do we do now to pay the bills?

I'm going to say I worked for Queen & Country before I slipped into issues with drinking and got myself arrested. My employers offered me no support whatsoever and after an internal hearing I was dismissed. I'm now a labourer assisting a large construction firm at a local prison. Rubbish wages, but I actually prefer my current job!
Hi I got caught drink driving in march. I blew 80 I got 18 month ban and a £300 something fine. I work in a sen college as a support worker.im lucky enough now that my friend who also works there gives me a lift. So far so good. My boss was surprisingly fine with me. Before I was caught though I had alot going on and had been off work since Xmas. I lost my baby, so I literally feel it all came to a head the day I got caught. But thankfully noone was hurt. M car was fine,and I'm getting in with life the best way I can. I live in a village which makes things hard due to transport. Buy I'm making it work.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off