Job Prospects

Convicted Driver Insurance

brethart

18 months ago I received 4 penalty points for failing to provide a preliminary roadside breath sample. (Was camping & drinking, went to car to grab some equipment, police turned up, asked me to do breath test, I asked why should I and ended up with the 4 points in the end).

This is in NI, so it's code 5008136, the UK equivalent of a DR70 conviction. I've noticed a lot of driving jobs ask for less than 6 points, criteria I meet, but would the category my 4 points are in cost me the job? I've applied for plenty anyway so I'll update when hearing back, just looking for people's thoughts. Would hate something that never involved me driving or even operating a car to make me lose out.

Cheers!

You asked the police “why should I?”.... well now you know why! It’s called “failing the attitude test”
This is not an offence that is prosecuted in its own right because it confirms that you were not over the limit (either because the police did not then arrest you or because they did arrest you but you subsequently blew under the limit)
As with all job applications, you should be honest. If they ask: “ do you have less than 6 points on your licence?” The answer is no.
If they ask “do you have any drink drive related convictions?” The answer is no.
If they ask “do you have any criminal convictions?” then this is a bit fuzzy, but my view is that as the offence carries a DR prefix, it DOES come under the category of a criminal conviction, like all the other drink drive convictions but if an explanation is added to the disclosure that there was no driving and you were not found to be over the limit then it should not make a difference to the job application.

You asked the police “why should I?”.... well now you know why! It’s called “failing the attitude test”
This is not an offence that is prosecuted in its own right because it confirms that you were not over the limit (either because the police did not then arrest you or because they did arrest you but you subsequently blew under the limit)
As with all job applications, you should be honest. If they ask: “ do you have less than 6 points on your licence?” The answer is no.
If they ask “do you have any drink drive related convictions?” The answer is no.
If they ask “do you have any criminal convictions?” then this is a bit fuzzy, but my view is that as the offence carries a DR prefix, it DOES come under the category of a criminal conviction, like all the other drink drive convictions but if an explanation is added to the disclosure that there was no driving and you were not found to be over the limit then it should not make a difference to the job application.

I received 4 penalty points, the answer would be yes. But thanks for the reply! I have made sure to mention it on all applications so far that have asked for convictions.

OOOPs, I meant ‘do you have more than 6 point on your licence?’, no one asks ‘do you have less than 6 points’, because everyone with no points would have to say yes!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off