Job application

Convicted Driver Insurance
Lols. Bad start- wanted some advice about whether it's an offence not to declare a driving ban from excess alcohol on a job application form, even if the job doesn't require me to drive.

Lols. Bad start- wanted some advice about whether it's an offence not to declare a driving ban from excess alcohol on a job application form, even if the job doesn't require me to drive.
It was a good start.

If the prospective employer asks if you have any convictions, then you have to declare it if the conviction was within the last 5 years. As per Rehabilitation of Offenders Act job applicants doesn't need legally to declare any convictions which are spent (after 5 years).The conviction won't get reported in a Basic DBS check after 5 years.

But for specific jobs (working within regulated, vulnerable people (teachers, nurses...etc) will need to have Standard or Enhanced checks which will reveal spent convictions as well. please consider this on the type of job you are applying for.

Hope this clarifies.

AIUI, you don't have to necessarily disclose even if they are doing an enhanced DBS check :

1. If the job is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, you only have to disclose unspent convictions – even if the employer asks you to disclose spent convictions too.
  2. If the job is not covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and an employer is doing a standard or enhanced check, you only have to disclose cautions and convictions that are not yet filtered – even if they employer asks you to disclose “all” cautions and convictions. https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/to-disclose-or-not-to-disclose/#
However, I don't know whether an enhanced check will still uncover them. Even if it did, you would be within your rights to not disclose them, as long as they are spent or have been filtered.

What type of job are you applying for?

As it is just a basic check then, as has been said before it is disclosable for 5 years.
It is not an offence to fail to disclose a conviction, but you could well find that the job offer is withdrawn if you have lied on the application. It is not about the offence, but your integrity.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off