Is this open day on ADHDers?

Convicted Driver Insurance

-d4rKj0y-

After the long wait to find out if I get my licence back, 4 months after the official ban date (NOV'22) and 9 months after the discounted date (MAY'22).

I received the DLVA envelope this morning. YAY!!

The first thing I did was give it a squeeze, but there ain't no card-shaped items in it!

On opening this bulky envelope, and to my dismay - They have refused my licence application based on "difficulties with attention and/or concentration"!!!

But further, down the letter, it says I can re-apply if at some time in the future, I meet the medical standards.

What does this even mean? To no longer have difficulties with attention and/or concentration??? Yeah ok, buddy!!

It wasn't ADHD that got me banned!!

Throughout the process, I became aware that drinking gradually came off the table and it was all about ADHD.

I started to feel uneasy about what the outcome would be....

Little background...

I was a self-employed courier up to the day, I walked into court. Easily clocked up at least a million miles on the road in my time (I was nationwide same-day). Not one scrape or accident in that time. Personally, I have never been the cause of an accident in my driving history.

Understandably they ask about past drinking habits but not one question was asked about past driving history (to my recollection), or maybe vaguely.

So now I need to find out what the hell my GP wrote that garnered such a response from DVLA. Then call DVLA, when they kindly come off strike action (some sectors, I'm behind them striking....but DVLA Med group? yeah, I'm not so sure)

Then an appeal to the Magistrates Court.

Has anyone gone down this process, or can point me to any case law, or even if this is blatant disability discrimination?

Cos' come on! Attention and/or concentration are the main components of ADHD...and against popular misconceptions... it's actually a surplus of, and not a deficiency.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

p.s. I forgot to mention (damn, maybe they have a point) I am on medication and have been for years

p.p.s I was 0.6 %CDT (not that DVLA seemed concerned with)

Wow that certainly seems like they're taking the mick there and finding excuses. I'd find a lawyer or someone to help.

how long ago were you diagnosed w/ ADHD?

Wow that certainly seems like they're taking the mick there and finding excuses. I'd find a lawyer or someone to help.

how long ago were you diagnosed w/ ADHD?
Yes, it does! I don't know if they’re passing the buck.

I was diagnosed in 2006. Plenty of time for it to have caused an issue!!

I've requested all correspondence between them and my GP and also done the same from my doctors!

Having spoken with DVLA, they say I can re-apply if I provide new evidence from my GP that I'm fit to drive!

The only way I see that happening is the GP, going back on what they said🤷🏾‍♂️

I just read somewhere that the DVLA need to have evidence that my “current” ADHD has caused or will cause their decision.

I'm wondering if it's the way questions are asked on the forms they send to the GP.

Would have been easier to have had a stroke and cataracts, like my daughter's grandma, who still drives at 87😀

Wow, when was the last time you seen the Gp about your condition?
It's been in the last couple of months. But that was more to do with them chasing up a medication review since late last year.

They have switched me from my back-in-the-day GP to this one.

I've seen her once and spoken on the phone a couple of times.

I'll definitely be speaking to her more in the coming weeks...

Make an appointment with your Gp to discuss your medical condition and to ask for his support in reapplying for your licence, make sure he/she has classed you as “fit to drive” this appointment will form part of your medical evidence in reapplying, apply for your licence again noting your medical condition on the D1 application form, Dvla will then send you out mental health forms for you to complete, they will write out to your Gp again asking for his input on your medical condition and medication, and to see if there are any concerns, pain in the butt however this should be a straightforward case providing there are no other medical conditions to be addressed, mind you I just gave out advice and was proved wrong to my astonishment but what I’ve said here is pretty much procedural….

It's been in the last couple of months. But that was more to do with them chasing up a medication review since late last year.

They have switched me from my back-in-the-day GP to this one.

I've seen her once and spoken on the phone a couple of times.

I'll definitely be speaking to her more in the coming weeks...
Switching Gp shouldn’t really be an issue, back in the day it mostly on paper, However everything now is on computers that all and any medical professionals can access …

Make an appointment with your Gp to discuss your medical condition and to ask for his support in reapplying for your licence, make sure he/she has classed you as “fit to drive” this appointment will form part of your medical evidence in reapplying, apply for your licence again noting your medical condition on the D1 application form, Dvla will then send you out mental health forms for you to complete, they will write out to your Gp again asking for his input on your medical condition and medication, and to see if there are any concerns, pain in the butt however this should be a straightforward case providing there are no other medical conditions to be addressed, mind you I just gave out advice and was proved wrong to my astonishment but what I’ve said here is pretty much procedural….
Appreciate that!

I'm on the same page

It's like I'm getting a second opinion from the same doctor lol

Appreciate that!

I'm on the same page

It's like I'm getting a second opinion from the same doctor lol
Have a look on Dvla site medical condition attention/ concentration, it might help you, I was classed as mild to moderate anxiety and alcohol issues, I had to complete the forms and Gp support every year and I have been for the last five years …

Yeh the older we are the more they look into us unfortunately…
Just a quick question. I spoke to DVLA today and as you mentioned they said I would have to re-apply with new/updated evidence. But on the reverse of the letter I received today. It said if I got medical evidence that would get them to review their decision now. I need to do that ASAP.
Is that a real option or should I just go with a reapplication and they "back reference" my case?

Just a quick question. I spoke to DVLA today and as you mentioned they said I would have to re-apply with new/updated evidence. But on the reverse of the letter I received today. It said if I got medical evidence that would get them to review their decision now. I need to do that ASAP.
Is that a real option or should I just go with a reapplication and they "back reference" my case?
Yes you can do that, further medical evidence route, have the appointment with your Gp (as part of your medical evidence) once you’ve had your appointment and the Gp is happy to support you you can then ask Dvla to send out the necessary forms to your self and they will write out to your Gp again ….in return they will look at your medical evidence to see if there are any concerns and they might send you for another medical….either way you’ll be in the Dvla medical process then ….

Just thought I'd update my post.

After speaking with my GP on the 25th Feb. It turns out there was a 'yes or no' question on the form asking whether any aspects of my disability would impair my ability to drive.

My GP answered yes, that a diagnosis of ADHD can cause difficulty with attention and concentration.

But thank you to @Honestman for the heads up to read the fitness to drive medical standard (I dived into the medical professional's one)

I told my GP you couldn't have an opinion on my driving because you've never assessed me for fitness to drive.

She admits she was uncomfortable answering the tick box but explained further in the form, that my ADHD is managed with a team and medication.

I guess the DVLA stopped reading after they saw the 'Yes' - that's all the info they needed to make their decision...

I had prepared some answered questions from friends and family who have actually been passengers in vehicles I have driven - to 'assist' with the GP assessment.

So while my GP gets advice on what next to do... I call the DVLA.

I asked them, how can they make a decision when they don't have the full facts - I was never assessed on my fitness to drive.

They just have a general description of ADHD symptoms - arse coveringly quick they respond "We go off the information submitted"

So what are the next steps...?

My GP has to write back affirming my fitness to drive. She has agreed to do so.

Although they closed my case, they will revoke the revoke with immediate effect!!!

Meaning I don't have to reapply. YAY!! (well, a crossed-fingered YAY!!)

Oh, the cherry - I got a £90 cheque from the DVLA yesterday. Hold on, didn't I send them more than that???

I fear this is not over just yet! They are going to want that back, aren't they?

Thanks for all the help.... it kept me sane!

Just thought I'd update my post.

After speaking with my GP on the 25th Feb. It turns out there was a 'yes or no' question on the form asking whether any aspects of my disability would impair my ability to drive.

My GP answered yes, that a diagnosis of ADHD can cause difficulty with attention and concentration.

But thank you to @Honestman for the heads up to read the fitness to drive medical standard (I dived into the medical professional's one)

I told my GP you couldn't have an opinion on my driving because you've never assessed me for fitness to drive.

She admits she was uncomfortable answering the tick box but explained further in the form, that my ADHD is managed with a team and medication.

I guess the DVLA stopped reading after they saw the 'Yes' - that's all the info they needed to make their decision...

I had prepared some answered questions from friends and family who have actually been passengers in vehicles I have driven - to 'assist' with the GP assessment.

So while my GP gets advice on what next to do... I call the DVLA.

I asked them, how can they make a decision when they don't have the full facts - I was never assessed on my fitness to drive.

They just have a general description of ADHD symptoms - arse coveringly quick they respond "We go off the information submitted"

So what are the next steps...?

My GP has to write back affirming my fitness to drive. She has agreed to do so.

Although they closed my case, they will revoke the revoke with immediate effect!!!

Meaning I don't have to reapply. YAY!! (well, a crossed-fingered YAY!!)

Oh, the cherry - I got a £90 cheque from the DVLA yesterday. Hold on, didn't I send them more than that???

I fear this is not over just yet! They are going to want that back, aren't they?

Thanks for all the help.... it kept me sane!
They may or may not ask for the money again, in my case they did (didn’t matter me saying I wouldn’t cash it) and others who I have spoke to haven’t had to pay it again!

Great news your getting it sorted 👍 pain in the arse but it seems GP’s are not fully aware of the consequences of filling in these forms correctly and some caution from them rightly or wrongly can really screw a persons life over, they do a good job and it should be down to the DVLA to explain in more detail.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off