Is it worth a solicitor?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Balooroo

Hi,
I was pulled over just after midnight after being at the pub. At the station the result was 55 and at the roadside 54. I've read up and think it's likely to be a 12 month driving ban and a fine.

Is it worth getting a solicitor in an attempt to reduce the ban? I recognise that my actions on the night were wrong I should never have done what I did. But we are where we are.

Can/will the court take into consideration the workplace stress/pressure? Would they take into consideration the personal stress people have been under? I.e. living in caravan on the drive for 2 months? Relationship breakdown?

If a driving ban is inevitable is the cost worth, just staying quiet in court and accepting what ever comes my way?

Hi,
I was pulled over just after midnight after being at the pub. At the station the result was 55 and at the roadside 54. I've read up and think it's likely to be a 12 month driving ban and a fine.

Is it worth getting a solicitor in an attempt to reduce the ban? I recognise that my actions on the night were wrong I should never have done what I did. But we are where we are.

Can/will the court take into consideration the workplace stress/pressure? Would they take into consideration the personal stress people have been under? I.e. living in caravan on the drive for 2 months? Relationship breakdown?

If a driving ban is inevitable is the cost worth, just staying quiet in court and accepting what ever comes my way?
Hey,

Unfortunately there is no descresion when it comes to a ban regardless of the detrimental effects it will have. If you have no previous the minimum ban is 12 months and if you are offered the dd rehabilitation course it will be reduced to 9. From what you have described, it sounds quite straight forward so if you are confident enough to speak for yourself in court then I would advise to do so. It sounds like that in a nutshell you are going to be saying 'I f' d up I'm really sorry' but obviously in more of an articulate way. There may be a duty solicitor available for you at court but if you wanted to be sure that a solicitor will be present then you can source any local solicitor and you shouldn't pay any more than I'd say £300.

Hey,

Unfortunately there is no descresion when it comes to a ban regardless of the detrimental effects it will have. If you have no previous the minimum ban is 12 months and if you are offered the dd rehabilitation course it will be reduced to 9. From what you have described, it sounds quite straight forward so if you are confident enough to speak for yourself in court then I would advise to do so. It sounds like that in a nutshell you are going to be saying 'I f' d up I'm really sorry' but obviously in more of an articulate way. There may be a duty solicitor available for you at court but if you wanted to be sure that a solicitor will be present then you can source any local solicitor and you shouldn't pay any more than I'd say £300.
Agree with louise
Best is 12 months, & course
If you feel ok to say you are sorry etc etc lots of remorse etc
Do consider the more you say the more chance if your story becoming newsworthy
Lots on the forum how to prep for the day -
Plus the consequences of you having a DR10 — not sure if you are working but if so check you contract re informing employer
It does get easier but getting you head around a criminal conviction is hard

I agree with the other comments.
your personal circumstances will not make much difference to the length of the ban, the court are interested in the circumstances of why and how you drive.
if you pour your heart out about “woe is me” two things may happen:
1. An interesting case, more likely to get publicity.
2. The magistrates might think that if you were that stressed then perhaps you should not have been driving anyway.... and be harsher with you!

as the ban is going to be in the lower sentencing bracket, show remorse but otherwise stay except to ask for the Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course if the magistrates do not offer it, to reduce the ban.

Hi,

unless you have one of these aggravating factors:
  • Failure to comply with current court orders
  • Offence committed on licence or post sentence supervision
  • LGV, HGV, PSV etc.
  • Poor road or weather conditions
  • Carrying passengers
  • Driving for hire or reward
  • Evidence of unacceptable standard of driving
  • Involved in accident
  • High level of traffic or pedestrians in the vicinity

then a solicitor or anything you say is unlikely to make much of a difference
If you have any of those then I would say get one as it could make a difference to the length of your ban

Also you can email the prosecutor and request the info they will present against you in court so you can be sure there will be no surprises on the day.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off