Insurance is now coming after me

Convicted Driver Insurance

dvb723

It's been nearly 2 years since hearing from my insurance. Today is the day I have been dreading.

Admiral are in their final stages of calculating the payout for the other parties (write off of car and personal injuries)

I am seriously worried, what is going to happen to me. I don't have any assets and I don't know how I'd pay the money back.

Has anyone else been in this situation, or able to advise?

Have you got any legal expenses cover as a part of your house insurance cover? You could use that to get some good legal advice.

Admiral's stance on claiming back payouts made in respect of Drink drivers has been challenged without success with the Ombudsman, so they do seem to be able to hold you liable. See here: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewpdf.aspx?fileid=48448

You will either have to negotiate a payment plan, based on your income, which may involve an extended period of payments, or file for bankruptcy. The latter course of action could have an impact on your financial dealings for a long while, so is not something to be done lightly.

Admiral's stance on claiming back payouts made in respect of Drink drivers has been challenged without success with the Ombudsman, so they do seem to be able to hold you liable. See here: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewpdf.aspx?fileid=48448

You will either have to negotiate a payment plan, based on your income, which may involve an extended period of payments, or file for bankruptcy. The latter course of action could have an impact on your financial dealings for a long while, so is not something to be done lightly.

Thanks for sharing this with me.

I spoke with a girl today at Admiral and depending on the amount they might write it off - depending on my circumstances.

Now ... I believe you don't have to provide how much you earn unless there's a court order for this (quite hard to get believe). I don't earn that much £28k a year. I would lit only be able to afford £50 a month and if the bill is £50k, that will never be paid off.

If you live with your parents, and earn £28,000 a year then they are likely to want a lot more than £50 per month. Good luck if you can get away with that! I would be surprised if they wrote off the debt now, as a civil debt they have 6 years to take you to court, so even if they felt you could not afford it now, they could always wait 3-5 years to see if your circumstances change.

If you live with your parents, and earn £28,000 a year then they are likely to want a lot more than £50 per month. Good luck if you can get away with that! I would be surprised if they wrote off the debt now, as a civil debt they have 6 years to take you to court, so even if they felt you could not afford it now, they could always wait 3-5 years to see if your circumstances change.

With all my outgoings I lit live off £200 a month. What's the best recommended approach to take would you say?

Keep your head down, wait for them to contact you. Ask them to justify the payouts and ask what they did to minimise them. Make an offer when you have to, but they will want to see proof of your outgoings and income. I realise that only a court can order you ko disclose your income, but if you don't do it voluntarily then they are sure to take it to court as they have to discover your ability to pay to assess if they can recover the money. That is why they will ask for voluntary disclosure.

Keep your head down, wait for them to contact you. Ask them to justify the payouts and ask what they did to minimise them. Make an offer when you have to, but they will want to see proof of your outgoings and income. I realise that only a court can order you ko disclose your income, but if you don't do it voluntarily then they are sure to take it to court as they have to discover your ability to pay to assess if they can recover the money. That is why they will ask for voluntary disclosure.

So ... the day has come and I nearly fell off my chair when they told me the bill - £197,000 ... yes £197k.

They have sent me a breakdown, which again, I nearly fell off my chair.

I didn't sign the indemnity form. They have stated the other party signed it and they can act on my behalf still. Is that correct?

Any advice now would be a dream.

Gracey I think the best advice is instruct a solicitor. There is so much money at play here, especially if you own a house, that you really need professional assistance.

Unfortunately it's already been taken to court and found to be legal - which is ridiculous, a hidden away term in a contract that can bankrupt you. But that doesn't mean there aren't ways you can mitigate it.

Gracey I think the best advice is instruct a solicitor. There is so much money at play here, especially if you own a house, that you really need professional assistance.

Unfortunately it's already been taken to court and found to be legal
- which is ridiculous, a hidden away term in a contract that can bankrupt you. But that doesn't mean there aren't ways you can mitigate it.

Is that in the UK or the precedent set in the EU courts?
I've not found a case that Admiral have taken to court (yet).

So ... the day has come and I nearly fell off my chair when they told me the bill - £197,000 ... yes £197k.

They have sent me a breakdown, which again, I nearly fell off my chair.

I didn't sign the indemnity form. They have stated the other party signed it and they can act on my behalf still. Is that correct?

Any advice now would be a dream.
Any updates on this please?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off