Insurance is £700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

Convicted Driver Insurance

Joey

I just done a few quotes since I have only got a month left of my 20 month ban.

I bought an MG ZR 1.4 3 door last year (brother has been driving it till my ban is up, Honest!).

I done a quote on an insurance comparison site with and without my DR10, and without it, my insurance would be £1700, but adding the DR10, the cheapest quote is just over £1000. I rechecked everything but the same quotes come up. The cheapest in both instances is the same company, but the next 3 companies also show a big reduction.

This is amazing since my insurance before my ban was the same.

Why is it that having a DD conviction is making my insurance drop so much? Less chance of re offending?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just done a few quotes since I have only got a month left of my 20 month ban.

I bought an MG ZR 1.4 3 door last year (brother has been driving it till my ban is up, Honest!).

I done a quote on an insurance comparison site with and without my DR10, and without it, my insurance would be £1700, but adding the DR10, the cheapest quote is just over £1000. I rechecked everything but the same quotes come up. The cheapest in both instances is the same company, but the next 3 companies also show a big reduction.

This is amazing since my insurance before my ban was the same.

Why is it that having a DD conviction is making my insurance drop so much? Less chance of re offending?

Hi, well when I applied for car insurance after a 12 month ban my quote was much the same as before I was banned.
I was surprised so I asked my insurance broker why.
Thay said that they have many customers who have lost their licence due to failing a breath test but none of them have
cost them money as none of them were involved in an accident. They also said that drivers of stolen cars cost them a huge
amount of money as they cause serious crashes, injuries and deaths on an enormous scale.
Unlike the Government and the Police, insurance companies have to make a profit to survive based on genuine accident
statistics, therefore I think I know who is telling the truth.
There are other members of this forum that seem to be convinced you will have an accident if you drive a car after drinking
one or two pints of beer. The insurance company accurate accident statistics prove them wrong.
Sadly these members ignore true accident figures for drink driving and have their own opinions.

Why is it that having a DD conviction is making my insurance drop so much?

Something is wrong as there is no way your insurance would be cheaper with a DR10 conviction compared to the same quote without.

Less chance of re offending?

The opposite infact. Insurance companies would view a drink driving conviction as a higher risk of that offender re-offending, that is why insurance premiums typically rise above 100% with a drink driving conviction.

More information can be found here http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_car_insurance.php

Ive just done a fictitious quote with an Insurance comparison website and got the following quotes:

With a DR10 conviction including 12 months disqualification

Cheapest (company A) £798.94

Most expensive (company B) £3968.49

Without a DR10 conviction from the same insurance companies

Company A £459.96

Company B £1258.98

Something is definitely not right with the quotes you have received.

Hi, well when I applied for car insurance after a 12 month ban my quote was much the same as before I was banned.
I was surprised so I asked my insurance broker why.
Thay said that they have many customers who have lost their licence due to failing a breath test but none of them have
cost them money as none of them were involved in an accident. They also said that drivers of stolen cars cost them a huge
amount of money as they cause serious crashes, injuries and deaths on an enormous scale.
Unlike the Government and the Police, insurance companies have to make a profit to survive based on genuine accident
statistics, therefore I think I know who is telling the truth.
There are other members of this forum that seem to be convinced you will have an accident if you drive a car after drinking
one or two pints of beer. The insurance company accurate accident statistics prove them wrong.
Sadly these members ignore true accident figures for drink driving and have their own opinions.

I had only drove the once (as everyone says who gets caught :D), but I had never been as careful as I were driving that night. 3am, doing the speed limit, double checking every junction etc. I can understand that a couple of drinks over the limit can actually make you better at driving.

Insurance companies probably also know that after losing their licence, people will be more careful and less likely to cause an accident.

My insurance quote is actually cheaper than that of my girlfriend (same age).

I can understand that a couple of drinks over the limit can actually make you better at driving.

Your understanding is wrong, very wrong! You may have the assumption that you are a better driver after a couple of drinks but this is a proven illusion of confidence. Your reaction times seriously reduce with any alcohol.

Take a look at this http://alcoholism.about.com/od/dui/a/impaired.htm specifically at the effects of a gradual increase in alcohol level.

Insurance companies probably also know that after losing their licence, people will be more careful and less likely to cause an accident.

Nope, the exact opposite. As far as insurance companies go, if someone has a conviction for drink driving then the risk of them doing it again is increased. Thats why drink driving convictions usually double any insurance.

No one will get cheaper car insurance within 5 years of a drink driving conviction (compared to without the conviction)

Your understanding is wrong, very wrong! You may have the assumption that you are a better driver after a couple of drinks but this is a proven illusion of confidence. Your reaction times seriously reduce with any alcohol.

Take a look at this http://alcoholism.about.com/od/dui/a/impaired.htm specifically at the effects of a gradual increase in alcohol level.

Nope, the exact opposite. As far as insurance companies go, if someone has a conviction for drink driving then the risk of them doing it again is increased. Thats why drink driving convictions usually double any insurance.

No one will get cheaper car insurance within 5 years of a drink driving conviction (compared to without the conviction)

Boxer I have the paperwork here to prove you wrong regarding insurance premiums increasing with a DR10.
My friend also has paperwork from his insurance company to prove you wrong.

I deal with 30 to 40 convicted drink drivers a month. I have done this for over 10 years. The company I work for puts over 7,000 through drink drive courses a year. We regularly get people on day 2 of the course to check out their insurance costs and report back on day 3.
Almost without exception they report a considerable increase in their premiums. The exceptions being those who downsize their cars. The typical increases are in the order of 40 to 60%, which is in line with what UK boxer reported with his test quotes. They have reported that: many insurance companies will not offer cover if their reading was over 100 in breath, also specifically that NFU mutual will not cover you for 5 years if you have a drink drive conviction with any reading.
This seems odd if the claim Is that you are a better driver if you have been convicted of drink driving, surely they should grab your money because there is less risk, but they can justify bumping up the premium because of your conviction.
it would be interesting to see the claimed reductions in premiums published on here, with the personal details omitted, to see if they were genuinely 'like for like' . Sometimes premiums do not increase by the 40 to 60% because previous points were being taken into account, but have then become 'spent' during the disqualification period.
If the actual quotes cannot be uploaded, could we at least be told the name of the insurance company, the type of car and the gender / age of the driver so that a comparison quote could be checked. After all, I would expect that the good news that some insurance companies charge less for convicted drink drivers should be shared with all the people reading this forum in a spirit of helpfulness.

While we wait for the good news coming about insurance costing less after a drink drive conviction with ??????? Company, here is a lift from the confused.com website,

The cost of a motoring conviction
The figures in the table below are based on a test quote we ran for a 30-year-old female marketing manager living in Cardiff and driving a 2003 Mini Cooper.

With an annual mileage of 6,000, five years' no-claims discount, and the car parked on a driveway when not in use, she would pay £682 a year for cover.

Top 10 motoring convictions
% increase in car insurance premium after conviction
How much car insurance increased by after conviction

1. SP30 - Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road

34%

£231

2. CU80 - Use of a hand-held device whilst driving

49%

£337

3. TS10 - Failing to comply with traffic light signals

24%

£162

4. SP50 - Exceeding speed limit on a motorway

34%

£231

5. IN10 - Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks

131%

£896

6. DR10 - Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol level above limit

115%

£782

7. CD10 - Driving without due care and attention

51%

£346

8. LC20 - Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence

49%

£331

9. CU30 - Using a vehicle with defective tyre

69%

£471

10. SP40 - Exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit

34%

£231

This table is based on customers who obtained a car insurance quote from Confused.com between October and December 2012, with motoring convictions in the last five years prior to the date of the quote.

you can read the full article here:

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/top-motoring-convictions-and-their-hidden-cost

Boxer I have the paperwork here to prove you wrong regarding insurance premiums increasing with a DR10.
My friend also has paperwork from his insurance company to prove you wrong.

Would you care to share the names of these insurance companies you and your friend(s) use that offer no increase to premuims (within the first 5 years) after a DR10 drink driving conviction?

As this is a drink driving website such information would be priceless to many visitors. They could also be linked to the 'convicted driver insurance' section.

I would also be interested to do some comparison quotes with them.

Would you care to share the names of these insurance companies you and your friend(s) use that offer no increase to premuims (within the first 5 years) after a DR10 drink driving conviction?

As this is a drink driving website such information would be priceless to many visitors. They could also be linked to the 'convicted driver insurance' section.

Hi there,

My ban is up shortly so I have just contacted my original insurer (Sheilas wheels) who, at the time of telling them I had been disqualified for being drunk in charge of a vehicle for 6 months, had said it would be ok when insuring after the ban, now they say they cant insure me as it is treated as a new policy and not within their underwriting policy..that is fine..

I therefore clicked the link from this site and was called back by a helpful lady from Think, she went away and came back with cover for me as follows:
I have 16 years no claims bonus, I am 45, female and drive no more than 6000 miles a year... I have a Mercedes CLC 180 sports coupe...
The initial cost was £371 per annum, I was paying £299 previously but unbeknown to me my old policy didn't cover me for business use and although I am based from home I go out and see clients sometimes... so I asked the lady to requote to include this..
The premium came back at £367 with Aviva... DR40 drunk in charge code......
This is fully comp with an excess of £350 though, legal cover, windscreen, courtesy car, fully comp whilst my old policy was £299. Another Company via here quoted £400.

I have therefore started the policy in readiness and already have my certificate of insurance. I liked dealing with Think they were very helpful.
Moodle

We really could do with the insurance companies that charge less after a drink drive conviction for the same cover.
I will be with 15 drink drivers tomorrow and would be delighted to tell them who to contact.
This link takes you to the "This is Money" website where they list the impact on drink driving insurance premiums from 11 different companies, researched by Moneysupermarket.com. It shows premiums rising by. 60 to 130%.
I would much rather give clients on courses good news about their cover, rather than making them feel even worse about getting back on the road.....
Many, including me, might feel that any conviction is an opportunity for insurance companies to increase cover beyond what the risk to them may be, but that is a different argument. I have to deal with the reality of life for people with a drink drive conviction.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...viction-hits-car-insurance.html#ixzz2jCChaXiW

MOTOR INSURANCE PREMIUMS: WITH OR WITHOUT A DRIVING CONVICTION
- Sourced by www.moneysupermarket.com 03/11/2009.
- Based on a 40 year-old male living in Maidestone ME15, with a 2006 Ford Focus.
- Parked in a driveway, travelling no more than 12,000 miles per year.

Thanks for your reply Moodle, glad you have been able to secure cover for a minimal increase.

If Joey and Chiefmegawatty could get back to us with their insurance companies perhaps you could quote with them also and save some money.

It would be interesting to get comparison quotes from these companies and see if they do indeed view customers with a drink driving conviction as a reduced risk on the roads. This would be reflected in a lower or a no increase premium compared with the same quote from them without the conviction.

I, however do not have any motoring convictions so perhaps I would not benefit from a reduced premium :(

I have checked and rechecked. All the same details with DR10 and without, and with the DR10 it is defiantly £700 less.

Once I pay the quote, I will make a quick video on it.

Edit: Just to add, I visited the companys website directly and the same discount applied.

I have checked and rechecked. All the same details with DR10 and without, and with the DR10 it is defiantly £700 less.

Once I pay the quote, I will make a quick video on it.

Edit: Just to add, I visited the companys website directly and the same discount applied.

What is the insurance company you are using?

I just done some new quotes.

Still exactly the same, actually in fact all the top quotes go up without the DR10.

I tried with another car, and the price goes up with DR10, but not with my MG ZR.

I just done some new quotes.

Still exactly the same, actually in fact all the top quotes go up without the DR10.

I tried with another car, and the price goes up with DR10, but not with my MG ZR.

What insurance company are you using for these quotes??

If you are using a comparison website then you may well find quotes cheaper from different companies however, to get a true idea if you are actually saving money you must do the same quote with the same company twice, one quote with the conviction code and one quote without. That way you will see the difference.

I have told you this before, Hill House Hammond insurance brokers.

This does of course open up a real can of worms. Some people hide convictions to secure themselves a lower quote. What if we now see millions of drivers with spotlessly clean licences making up Drink Drive convictions to save on their premiums. Would these people be hammered (no pun intended, obviously, because they drink presumably in moderation !) if they later had an accident and were found to have phantom convictions. Would they be told "it's people like you with clean licences pretending otherwise who get drivers a bad name". Certainly one to ponder isn't it

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off