Insurance & Drink Driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

haydnmz50

Could someone possibly shed some light on something for me please?

If in the case of a drink-driving accident, the driver is not covered by his insurance, and the Insurer has the right to recoup the third party payout from the Insured, then why do insurance companies demand such high premiums from previous offenders?

After one has served their ban, they are deemed as being at a higher-risk of drink driving than the average person, what should this matter as they're not insured in the event of an accident?

I'll probably be put straight, in some 'I can't see the wood for the trees' scenario....

Could someone possibly shed some light on something for me please?

If in the case of a drink-driving accident, the driver is not covered by his insurance, and the Insurer has the right to recoup the third party payout from the Insured, then why do insurance companies demand such high premiums from previous offenders?

After one has served their ban, they are deemed as being at a higher-risk of drink driving than the average person, what should this matter as they're not insured in the event of an accident?

I'll probably be put straight, in some 'I can't see the wood for the trees' scenario....

Not all insurance policies will void comprehensive coverage if the driver was over the legal limit and will still pay out.

Not all insurance companies will try to recoup any payouts made to third parties in the event the insured was over the legal limit and if they did it would be via the courts which takes time and costs money.

A driver who has been convicted of drink driving is a higher risk to insurers and the prices they pay reflect this for several years after conviction.

Thanks for answering that for me.

I'm still waiting to hear anything from the insurers regarding my accident, so fingers crossed they are willing to pay out. Will certainly make my life A LOT easier than I've been expecting it to be.

hi

I'm not too sure on this one either, a bus hit me on the front drivers side of my car and I can honestly say that the accident would have happened whether I was over the limit or not.

I'm still waiting for a decision from the bus company's insurance on whats going on, but I do know that they didn't claim off my insurance so surely that is a good sign?

The accident was in Aug 09

As a result of my scum bag father in law some how surviving car-v-tree with 113mg alcohol in his blood.....AXA paid out in full. Full repayment for a £10,000 car finance
Shame he wasnt with More than who would have rubbed his nose in the mess he had made for himself. Would have made me a sight happier too!

The sooner zero tolerance is observed the better, then there would be no guess work for that pint and a half!!!

Great points. I would like to follow these conversation. Thanks for sharing. Drunk drivers shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore if they get into an accident and if they're caught they should be publicly humiliated.

~ Sam

Well, public humiliation is definitely not a solution for the drunk driving problem. I would like to see some legal changes in the area of insurance and drunk driving. Now there is no clear legal basis and some insurance companies pay and some do not. A very insecure situation for victims of drunk driving.

I think public humiliation would be great.

Here's another thought, drunk drivers should have only one company where they can purchase there insurance and make them get a certain type of license plate so everyone knows they're drunk.

:)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off