Insurance advice - Straight answers needed

Convicted Driver Insurance
I was convicted of a DR10 offence in 2012. As part of the offence, I hit a parked car. No people were injured. I received a 30 month disqualification that was reduced to 23 months on completion of a drink driving education course, 200 hours community payback, £85 fine and a 4 month suspended prison sentence that was suspended for 2 years.

I applied for insurance as a named driver on my wifes policy late last year however after initially being rejected, it was cancelled. This was due to me not disclosing my suspended prison sentence in answer to "have you had any non-motor convictions". Now, I am encountering quite a few issues when going through insurers with very mixed messages to how I should be answering some questions and would welcome peoples feedback or advice.

- In the last five years, have you had or caused any accidents, claims or damage involving any motor vehicle (including cars, motorbikes and/or vans), even if no claim was made and regardless of blame?

I am answering this as yes and listing the accident as part of the DR10 in hitting the parked car.

- In the last five years have you received any motoring convictions, driving licence endorsements or fixed penalties, and/or have you been disqualified from driving (including any pending prosecutions)?

Again, yes however I have one month until the 5 years mark is up. One of my thoughts was to hold off putting my name on the insurance until then however I am being told by an insurer I would still have to declare it because of the suspended sentence?

- Do you have any unspent non-motoring criminal convictions?

My answer was originally no because my one conviction is a drink driving offence but following the previous policy being cancelled I am now answering yes. Some insurers tell me that's correct, others say I don't need to. Who is correct?

- Has any driver named on this policy had insurance declined, cancelled, voided or accepted on special terms?

So when the insurer last year called me they said I had 2 options. 1) 7 days and they would cancel the insurance due to the suspended sentence not being disclosed or 2) policy amended so it would be specific to my wife only. After discussions, the premium for my wife only was to high so we cancelled it and I have a letter from the insurer saying that "as requested, we have cancelled your insurance..." Equally though and perhaps tellingly, I also have an email prior to that from the insurer saying they will cancel my insurance in 7 days. My question then is has it been cancelled or did I cancel it?

I am not trying to find loop holes, I am trying to be honest as I can here and unfortunately, it's leading me to all sorts of different hurdles with a variety of different answers. So far I have spoken to Fresh Insurance, Insurance Factory and Insure my car and all three have given me different advice on how I should be answering these questions. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I was convicted of a DR10 offence in 2012. As part of the offence, I hit a parked car. No people were injured. I received a 30 month disqualification that was reduced to 23 months on completion of a drink driving education course, 200 hours community payback, £85 fine and a 4 month suspended prison sentence that was suspended for 2 years.

I applied for insurance as a named driver on my wifes policy late last year however after initially being rejected, it was cancelled. This was due to me not disclosing my suspended prison sentence in answer to "have you had any non-motor convictions". Now, I am encountering quite a few issues when going through insurers with very mixed messages to how I should be answering some questions and would welcome peoples feedback or advice.

- In the last five years, have you had or caused any accidents, claims or damage involving any motor vehicle (including cars, motorbikes and/or vans), even if no claim was made and regardless of blame?

I am answering this as yes and listing the accident as part of the DR10 in hitting the parked car.

- In the last five years have you received any motoring convictions, driving licence endorsements or fixed penalties, and/or have you been disqualified from driving (including any pending prosecutions)?

Again, yes however I have one month until the 5 years mark is up. One of my thoughts was to hold off putting my name on the insurance until then however I am being told by an insurer I would still have to declare it because of the suspended sentence?

- Do you have any unspent non-motoring criminal convictions?

My answer was originally no because my one conviction is a drink driving offence but following the previous policy being cancelled I am now answering yes. Some insurers tell me that's correct, others say I don't need to. Who is correct?

- Has any driver named on this policy had insurance declined, cancelled, voided or accepted on special terms?

So when the insurer last year called me they said I had 2 options. 1) 7 days and they would cancel the insurance due to the suspended sentence not being disclosed or 2) policy amended so it would be specific to my wife only. After discussions, the premium for my wife only was to high so we cancelled it and I have a letter from the insurer saying that "as requested, we have cancelled your insurance..." Equally though and perhaps tellingly, I also have an email prior to that from the insurer saying they will cancel my insurance in 7 days. My question then is has it been cancelled or did I cancel it?

I am not trying to find loop holes, I am trying to be honest as I can here and unfortunately, it's leading me to all sorts of different hurdles with a variety of different answers. So far I have spoken to Fresh Insurance, Insurance Factory and Insure my car and all three have given me different advice on how I should be answering these questions. Any advice would be gratefully received.

You do not have to declare spent convictions to insurers. The rehabilitation period before any conviction is classed as spent is based on the sentence/disposal received.

Rehabilitation periods

Driving disqualification = end of disqualification
Fine = 1 year
Driving licence endorsement = 5 years
Community order = 12 months beginning from the day on which the community order is completed
4 month suspended prison sentence = 2 years beginning from the day on which the sentence (including any licence period) is completed

The longest rehabilitation period of 5 years applies before your conviction will become spent after which you do not need to declare it to insurers.

If you enter the details about your conviction into unlocks criminal record disclosure calculator you will see that your conviction will become spent after a period of 5 years.

I think this question should be put to the insurer who you had the insurance policy with, have you asked them?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off