In my first year of a one year licence, do I need to take LFTs in preparation for next medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Oneyearnobeer

Well Known Member
So I got my one year licence in December 2020, a whole 11 months after applying (covid). Should I get regular LFTs from GP to prove my continued abstinence or will DVLA just take my next CDT test as proof?
many thanks 😊

Congrats! chuffed for you, ive kept following your journey. I presume the choice is yours, personally i would, if you have nothing to hide, its just more and more evidence to give to the DVLA when the year is up and the medical is due. Dont give them ANY opportunity to question anything! Congrats again!!

Thanks and yes it’s good to be back on the road. I feel I’ve definitely earned that licence, what a long road it was!!! 😄
I will probably just wait a little while and then get a couple done in the spring/summer. Thanks for replying x

May i ask, what took so long, obviously COVID, but were there any other factors etc? Currently sat in the waiting game as we speak.

I applied January 2020. Got letter inviting me for medical. He to wait a few weeks for medical (4 weeks??? I think??) so medical was booked for March and it was during the week when surgeries started cancelling all non urgent appointments due to covid. I frantically rang around trying to get to another surgery (with DVLA blessing) but they all started shutting down. Then got a letter stating because of covid I had to wait 12 weeks before contacting DVLA again before trying to book another medical. 🤯🥺
So now it was august as I had to receive another DVLA letter (which I had ti ring up for, they weren’t about to post it out automatically after 12 weeks) and finally got a medical 22/9/20.
Then it took ages for a result and 5 weeks after medical I received a PROVISIONAL licence 😁 due to a name mix up (I’d got married again since losing licence).
so now it’s end of October 💤 and I have no hair left to pull out!!! Anyway, I was calling DVLA daily, sometimes twice a day, emailing Tim Burton etc and finally they issued my full one year licence in early December!!!
I was just unlucky with timings really but I wanted to wait one full year of abstinence before applying. Ended up being 2 years in the end.

I appreciate I sound all calm and breezy now that I have my licence but I DO feel your pain!!! It was the most frustrating and long winded process I have ever gone through!!! And so unjust as I was actually 💯 abstinent but I appreciate they have to prove that. And I also hold my hands up that I fully deserved a ban....the timing was just unfortunate that’s all

Wow what a story!!! youve been put through the mill!!!!

I had my medical back on november 20th, however.......called the DVLA up on 17th December " oh we have received your blood but no paperwork"...... right well thanks for letting me know, chased the clinic i had my medical at, sent the 18th all the paperwork to the DVLA, not heard a peep since. I did the subject access for my CDT results as i couldnt get through to them on the phone for love nor money and it came back as a 0.7 CDT, called again the 10th January (thats when my ban was up) all i got was "sorry you are in a queue" they couldnt have been any ruder, again another week has gone by, so ended up emailing Tim Burton Monday, the line of work i do i need my car unfortunately i cannot work from home and have to commute to my office (via bus). But again who knows how long it will be...........

I applied January 2020. Got letter inviting me for medical. He to wait a few weeks for medical (4 weeks??? I think??) so medical was booked for March and it was during the week when surgeries started cancelling all non urgent appointments due to covid. I frantically rang around trying to get to another surgery (with DVLA blessing) but they all started shutting down. Then got a letter stating because of covid I had to wait 12 weeks before contacting DVLA again before trying to book another medical. 🤯🥺
So now it was august as I had to receive another DVLA letter (which I had ti ring up for, they weren’t about to post it out automatically after 12 weeks) and finally got a medical 22/9/20.
Then it took ages for a result and 5 weeks after medical I received a PROVISIONAL licence 😁 due to a name mix up (I’d got married again since losing licence).
so now it’s end of October 💤 and I have no hair left to pull out!!! Anyway, I was calling DVLA daily, sometimes twice a day, emailing Tim Burton etc and finally they issued my full one year licence in early December!!!
I was just unlucky with timings really but I wanted to wait one full year of abstinence before applying. Ended up being 2 years in the end.

Out of curiosity how long did it take for any actions once you contacted Tim Burton?

I was absolutely pulling my hair out and sometimes had to remind myself that I wasn’t the only person waiting in that queue. However, once I started reading on here about people who’d maybe had medical AFTER me and had got a result, that’s when I started shouting with emails etc.
I would say just keep on keeping on with them. I was always super polite (even in the end) but also very persistent. It’s so frustrating to be told week after week ‘it’s with the relevant team’.
If it’s any consolation, I got it back DESPITE my GP having years of alcohol problem records, I’d already been refused licence return in 2018 by DVLA AND I hadn’t really put in any work with gp to prove my abstinence (didn’t know I had to, just thought cdt would be enough). So I was in a pretty tricky place with them and they still gave me a chance.
keep pushing with them and you will get there. Good luck x

Out of curiosity how long did it take for any actions once you contacted Tim Burton?
First email was ignored and second email (roughly a week later) it was approx 5 days later when I got a phone call when in supermarket and they said I could drive after midnight that night!

In my first year of having a temp license I did a liver function test half way through, just for the records. However, I was reissued with another one year license last year without having to have a medical (maybe that’s normal, maybe Covid played a part). I really don’t think it’s necessary to have lots of blood tests and keep proving you don’t have a problem. Once is probably enough. Twice definitely. Enjoy your license!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off