I drank 15 units last night and have a medical in 20 days

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mr Blue

After 4 months of abstinence this year and a CDT test of 0.4 in March, I had a bad day. I have my DVLA medical in 20 days, will that event have a significant effect on my CDT score?
Just paid for a postal test so as to not leave it to chance.

A one off event should not have an impact on your CDT result in 20 days.

A one off event should not have an impact on your CDT result in 20 days.
I think though that Mr. Blue needs to ask some more in depth questions of himself along the lines of is drinking alcohol how he normally handles stressful situations?

As the 15 units (7 pints roughly,) were taken over a single night, then if he had driven the next morning with a valid licence and been breathalysed, he would in all probability have been over the DD limit.

It may not have an effect on the medical in 20 days time, but it could be indicative of a deeper problem needing to be addressed.

I am not being preachy or critical, but practical.

I think though that Mr. Blue needs to ask some more in depth questions of himself along the lines of is drinking alcohol how he normally handles stressful situations?

As the 15 units (7 pints roughly,) were taken over a single night, then if he had driven the next morning with a valid licence and been breathalysed, he would in all probability have been over the DD limit.

It may not have an effect on the medical in 20 days time, but it could be indicative of a deeper problem needing to be addressed.

I drink premium larger that is 2.8 units per pint, so let's round it up to 3. That would be 5 pints, and as long as I note the time started and add the 1 hour for my body to begin processing it, I know when I am clear, in 16 hours. The OP may be off the following day, it may have been on a weekend, we don't know. At the moment the person is not driving, don't see a problem. Too many assumptions made I'd say.

I drink premium larger that is 2.8 units per pint, so let's round it up to 3. That would be 5 pints, and as long as I note the time started and add the 1 hour for my body to begin processing it, I know when I am clear, in 16 hours. The OP may be off the following day, it may have been on a weekend, we don't know. At the moment the person is not driving, don't see a problem. Too many assumptions made I'd say.
What I was trying to say Simondo is that the OP turned to alcohol to help him deal with an emotional issue (he had a bad day.) I began using alcohol as a stress reliever, which was fine at first, but if the stressors are not being removed, then the amount of alcohol you need to deal with them increases over a period of time to the extent that you either begin abusing or become dependent. All I was trying to point out to Mr Blue was that he needs to be careful. Yes his March CDT was low at 0.4%, but like myself, there is no point in getting your licence back only to loose it a few months later in similar circumstances.

Or perhaps there is, because it took that to make me realise that my relationship with alcohol had deteriorated to the extent that I should probably break it off completely which I have done for nearly 2 years now.

It can/does creep up on you. For nearly 40 years, I had ;normal' drinking habits (3 cans of beer on a Friday and Saturday evening.)

But you know what they say about practice making perfect, so by the time I was in my mid 50's I was bingeing and occasionally drinking heavily every day.

What I was trying to say Simondo is that the OP turned to alcohol to help him deal with an emotional issue (he had a bad day.) I began using alcohol as a stress reliever, which was fine at first, but if the stressors are not being removed, then the amount of alcohol you need to deal with them increases over a period of time to the extent that you either begin abusing or become dependent. All I was trying to point out to Mr Blue was that he needs to be careful. Yes his March CDT was low at 0.4%, but like myself, there is no point in getting your licence back only to loose it a few months later in similar circumstances.

Or perhaps there is, because it took that to make me realise that my relationship with alcohol had deteriorated to the extent that I should probably break it off completely which I have done for nearly 2 years now.

It can/does creep up on you. For nearly 40 years, I had ;normal' drinking habits (3 cans of beer on a Friday and Saturday evening.)

But you know what they say about practice making perfect, so by the time I was in my mid 50's I was bingeing and occasionally drinking heavily every day.
That is definitely a fair point, but would say that I will never drink drive again, as having a licence is the most important thing. I do drink less than before conviction, and am now aware of the units versus time calculation, information that is crucial to not reoffending. I think having a drink as the result of a bad day may indicate certain things, but maybe a more helpful statement could have been made to the OP.

Drinking as a response to emotions is how I ended up an alcoholic. I agree with you completely, when you drink because you've had a bad day you are still in the cycle. Especially when you know you have an important medical looming and getting the beers in took preference over the need to have the medical successfully.

I think it's fair to tell OP to be careful.

That is definitely a fair point, but would say that I will never drink drive again, as having a licence is the most important thing. I do drink less than before conviction, and am now aware of the units versus time calculation, information that is crucial to not reoffending. I think having a drink as the result of a bad day may indicate certain things, but maybe a more helpful statement could have been made to the OP.
Simondo72, again not being critical, but if you are still drinking alcohol, then you cannot give a guarantee you will never drink drive again. It wasn't until I did the DD Awareness course that I realised how easy it is to go over the limit, especially the 'morning after.'

EVERYONE that drinks alcohol regularly and drives has at some time driven over the DD limit. They just don't know it as they have never been stopped and breathalysed.

Although you are now aware of the unit/time calculation (and I applaud you for discovering this as well,) this is no guarantee.

I am not trying to scare anyone (well just a little,) but a Friday night out with 7 pints and perhaps one half means it could be 3.00 or 4.00pm the next day before you are safe to drive, not at 10.00 am next morning when you need to nip to the shops for a paper and bacon roll.

Simondo72, again not being critical, but if you are still drinking alcohol, then you cannot give a guarantee you will never drink drive again. It wasn't until I did the DD Awareness course that I realised how easy it is to go over the limit, especially the 'morning after.'

EVERYONE that drinks alcohol regularly and drives has at some time driven over the DD limit. They just don't know it as they have never been stopped and breathalysed.

Although you are now aware of the unit/time calculation (and I applaud you for discovering this as well,) this is no guarantee.

I am not trying to scare anyone (well just a little,) but a Friday night out with 7 pints and perhaps one half means it could be 3.00 or 4.00pm the next day before you are safe to drive, not at 10.00 am next morning when you need to nip to the shops for a paper and bacon roll.
I certainly agree that in the past I have been over and not realised it, and that many people probably still do, but I would take issue with the statement that at some point I, and many others will be over the limit. I just wont get in a car till I'm clear. You can't have 7 pints and jump in the car at 1000 the next morning and be clear. I too learned this on the DD course and won't be in the car until it is safe. I also have a breathalyser, as a further indication if I am OK.
I do, however, support the general point that alcohol as a coping mechanism is not a good idea and the OP needs a hug and some support.

I certainly agree that in the past I have been over and not realised it, and that many people probably still do, but I would take issue with the statement that at some point I, and many others will be over the limit. I just wont get in a car till I'm clear. You can't have 7 pints and jump in the car at 1000 the next morning and be clear. I too learned this on the DD course and won't be in the car until it is safe. I also have a breathalyser, as a further indication if I am OK.
I do, however, support the general point that alcohol as a coping mechanism is not a good idea and the OP needs a hug and some support.
The hand held breathalyser is a good idea if you intend to continue drinking some alcohol and driving. I also think that building these into cars will help. Probably not too difficult to get someone under the limit to blow in once for you, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

Dear Luna2000,
Apologies for the delay in replying, and thank you, for your post which could not be more wide of the mark! Not only is it presumptuous, speculative and judgemental its also unsupportive.
One of the great things I've valued from this forum, is its level of support. Other readers might wish to check out my updated post on the DVLA timescale.
I had my licence revoked as I declared to the DVLA that I drank 2 glasses of wine and two beers most nights. This happened because I applied for a minibus medical to better serve the school I work at. I had no idea they would take my licence away.

I took a good look in the mirror at your advice. I'm OK thanks. I never felt the sinking feeling you might get when you see blue lights behind you, or a judge says that you have committed a serious criminal offence. I have freely told the DVLA my use of alcohol, and since then its been abstinence or inside CMO guideline for 2 years.

I would never take responsibility for a vehicle feeling I was potentially over the limit.

Today I got my licence back.

If anyone would like any support in the process there are plenty of people here willing to help.

Mr Blue

Dear Luna2000,
Apologies for the delay in replying, and thank you, for your post which could not be more wide of the mark! Not only is it presumptuous, speculative and judgemental its also unsupportive.
One of the great things I've valued from this forum, is its level of support. Other readers might wish to check out my updated post on the DVLA timescale.
I had my licence revoked as I declared to the DVLA that I drank 2 glasses of wine and two beers most nights. This happened because I applied for a minibus medical to better serve the school I work at. I had no idea they would take my licence away.

I took a good look in the mirror at your advice. I'm OK thanks. I never felt the sinking feeling you might get when you see blue lights behind you, or a judge says that you have committed a serious criminal offence. I have freely told the DVLA my use of alcohol, and since then its been abstinence or inside CMO guideline for 2 years.

I would never take responsibility for a vehicle feeling I was potentially over the limit.

If anyone would like any support in the process there are plenty of people here willing to help.

Mr Blue
It’s great news te the return of your licence ! 👍

Dear Luna2000,

Mr Blue
Dear Luna2000,

Mr Blue

Hmm, looks like you missed the part where I said I wasn't being preachy or judgemental.

My original answer was on the basis that you, like the vast majority of people on the forum, had lost your licence through drink driving.

You admit to having regularly drunk at least 10 units every night prior to your 4 month period of abstinence. Home poured measures are usually much larger than pub measures so that's at least 70 units a week which is 5 times the recommended limit.

It's good that you are now abstaining. I did that for 6 months before I got my licence returned the first time but then started drinking again and lost it again. So keep up the good work. I have now been sober for 2 years and was at one point drinking to the same level as yourself.

You say you would never drink while knowingly over the limit, but without having your own breathalyser, how can you know that? (you can buy them.) In England 2 pints can put you over and in Scotland 1 pint.

Anyway, I hope you aren't caught drink driving, but as I have said elsewhere, practically every one who drinks alcohol and drives has at some time unknowingly driven whilst over the drink driving limit.

Dear Luna2000,

Hmm, looks like you missed the part where I said I wasn't being preachy or judgemental.

My original answer was on the basis that you, like the vast majority of people on the forum, had lost your licence through drink driving.

You admit to having regularly drunk at least 10 units every night prior to your 4 month period of abstinence. Home poured measures are usually much larger than pub measures so that's at least 70 units a week which is 5 times the recommended limit.

It's good that you are now abstaining. I did that for 6 months before I got my licence returned the first time but then started drinking again and lost it again. So keep up the good work. I have now been sober for 2 years and was at one point drinking to the same level as yourself.

You say you would never drink while knowingly over the limit, but without having your own breathalyser, how can you know that? (you can buy them.) In England 2 pints can put you over and in Scotland 1 pint.

Anyway, I hope you aren't caught drink driving, but as I have said elsewhere, practically every one who drinks alcohol and drives has at some time unknowingly driven whilst over the drink driving limit.

When I did the TTC course I found out that I had pretty much been drink driving every weekend since I got my driving licence at 17. I told my friends this and they were all shocked, so we decided to all use the calculation provided at the TTC course to work out how close to the limit they all would be on a day after a night out. They were even more shocked to find out they too had been drink driving for years.

Same with my parents, then it was brought up at a family Christmas and every single person present found they were guilty at one time or another. Luna is correct, 10 units a night doesn’t put you in a position to be sanctimonious to drink drivers. Best of luck with your abstinence, I too once drank to the level that you drink and will be 3 years next month. It gets easier.

When I did the TTC course I found out that I had pretty much been drink driving every weekend since I got my driving licence at 17. I told my friends this and they were all shocked, so we decided to all use the calculation provided at the TTC course to work out how close to the limit they all would be on a day after a night out. They were even more shocked to find out they too had been drink driving for years.

Same with my parents, then it was brought up at a family Christmas and every single person present found they were guilty at one time or another. Luna is correct, 10 units a night doesn’t put you in a position to be sanctimonious to drink drivers. Best of luck with your abstinence, I too once drank to the level that you drink and will be 3 years next month. It gets easier.
Thanks Grice96.

It was only when I did the TTC course that I discovered how easy it is to drive over the limit, especially the next morning.

If I could I would suggest that the TTC course or similar is taught in every High School to 5th and 6th year so they become aware of what they are doing and the effects alcohol has on them.

Mr Blue 'admits' to drinking 10 units every night. Now as a recovering alcoholic (words I never dreamed I would say about myself,) he will be underestimating what he drinks probably by around 50%, so 15 units a night will be nearer the mark. If your stop and think about it, this is exactly what the DVLA medical team did when they read your application for the mini bus license.

If you start drinking at 8.00pm, then you will not be totally clear of alcohol until 11.15 the next day. You 'may' be legal to drive in England by 9.15, but it will be 10.15 in Scotland with it's lower limits.

You came here looking for support Mr Blue, and that is what we are giving you, together with a healthy dose of the science and psychology behind alcohol.

Even at 2 glasses of wine and 2 beers every night, you are on the cusp of drinking alcoholically. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it is a fact.

You were 4 months sober then had a bad day and turned to the one thing you felt would alleviate your mental anguish. But by coming on here and asking the question about it's potential effect on your CDT test, it did, as excessive alcohol consumption always does, just make your anguish and worry grow.

I have looked in lot's of mirrors and 2 years ago didn't like what was staring back. So I stopped drinking, went to AA.

Glad you got your licence back, but please take on board all the scientific advice about drinking that people on here and given you and others.

Thanks Grice96.

It was only when I did the TTC course that I discovered how easy it is to drive over the limit, especially the next morning.

If I could I would suggest that the TTC course or similar is taught in every High School to 5th and 6th year so they become aware of what they are doing and the effects alcohol has on them.

Mr Blue 'admits' to drinking 10 units every night. Now as a recovering alcoholic (words I never dreamed I would say about myself,) he will be underestimating what he drinks probably by around 50%, so 15 units a night will be nearer the mark. If your stop and think about it, this is exactly what the DVLA medical team did when they read your application for the mini bus license.

If you start drinking at 8.00pm, then you will not be totally clear of alcohol until 11.15 the next day. You 'may' be legal to drive in England by 9.15, but it will be 10.15 in Scotland with it's lower limits.

You came here looking for support Mr Blue, and that is what we are giving you, together with a healthy dose of the science and psychology behind alcohol.

Even at 2 glasses of wine and 2 beers every night, you are on the cusp of drinking alcoholically. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it is a fact.

You were 4 months sober then had a bad day and turned to the one thing you felt would alleviate your mental anguish. But by coming on here and asking the question about it's potential effect on your CDT test, it did, as excessive alcohol consumption always does, just make your anguish and worry grow.

I have looked in lot's of mirrors and 2 years ago didn't like what was staring back. So I stopped drinking, went to AA.

Glad you got your licence back, but please take on board all the scientific advice about drinking that people on here and given you

Thanks Grice96.

Glad you got your licence back, but please take on board all the scientific advice about drinking that people on here and given you and others.
Im sure that everyone who is on here will take full account . Mr Blue has helpfully shared practical and factual info re the process for him and it’s a positive outcome that should cheer all of us who are feeling totally lost in the process .

Reactions: TPR
Im sure that everyone who is on here will take full account . Mr Blue has helpfully shared practical and factual info re the process for him and it’s a positive outcome that should cheer all of us who are feeling totally lost in the process .
Yes he has shared info on the process of getting his licence returned. I have been through the process myself and know that there is little you can actually do to speed up the DVLA, although when you contact them they are helpful. My original Doctors appointment was at a clinic that was only around 8 miles from where I live, but to get there would have taken a fair amount of time on a bus, so I called and they helpfully changed it to one in Glasgow that was only a 20 minute train ride away although was further away by about 5 miles.

I actually found the process fairly straightforward, but that was in May 2019, so given Covid restrictions, things may have changed.

I was commenting on this particular thread about drinking 15 units in one night and using my knowledge and experience to give Mr Blue some advice.

No one likes to be told that perhaps they have a problem with alcohol. Maybe he doesn't, but if I knew someone that drank 15 units a night and then drove the Mini Bus my child was in next day, I'd be worried.

He also said. "I would never take responsibility for a vehicle feeling I was potentially over the limit." That is not scientific. Most people feel completely normal after 2 or even 3 pints, but they are over the drink driving limit. It's just scientific fact.

Again, I am not preaching to anyone. Mt Blue opened the door by admitting to drinking 15 Units one night when he felt bad and regularly drinks 10 units or more. All myself and a few others have done is point out the scientific facts to him and anyone else that reads this.

I hope the process goes smoothly for you Polly.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off