I crashed into a bollard

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sonar

Hi, I am looking for some help and advice as I am in a real mess over this. I made a huge mistake and feel totally ashamed.

I had about 7 pints over the course of an afternoon (first one about 2pm until 8pm). I stupidly got in my car after a taxi didn’t arrive as I was tired and cold. I pulled over near home and had a sleep. I awoke about 9pm and realised I had not put my handbrake on and the car rolled into a bollard. Car was trashed but I was unhurt and thank god no one else was.

Some onlookers called the police and I was taken to hospital where they took bloods about 3am. I admitted I had been drinking but cannot remember doing a breath test. They drove me to my sisters house after the hospital as I’d recently had broken ribs and the police said they were worried about any head injuries as I live alone.

I broke my ribs 2 months before and been very depressed. I had hardly been drinking prior to this but was out with a heavy drinker and kept up with them, but should say it’s not their fault, although looking back I was pretty vulnerable and feeling depressed beforehand...

I have no prior convictions. I’ve already got a letter from the council about the cost of the bollard that I hit. My car is written off. I have some questions:

1. Is it a waste of time making an insurance claim, will I just have to suck up the cost myself?
  2. I am paying £2500 for a barrister/solicitor. Is it too much? Seems like a lot compared to what I have read on this forum. I was so scared and messed up I just took the first one without much research.
  3. I know my blood reading will be over the limit but does anyone know how much?
  4. Does any mitigation in court ever work? Physical and mental problems don’t seem to count for anything in court as far as I can tell.
  5. Is it worth buying a cheap car until I know the outcome of my case? Has anyone done this? I live in a semi rural location so am struggling without it. Or is it just throwing money away until I know?
I’m so confused, I have no one to ask, my partner has dumped me over this, I darent tell friends in case they judge me in the same way, and my family are no help at all.

Many thanks for any advice as I’m feeling desperate and ashamed. I feel like a total leper. People regard drink driving as the lowest crime, even if you didn’t hurt anyone else and you have a history of depression or other mental health issues. I feel sick with worry.

Thank you.

Sorry you are feeling like this, it truly is the worst feeling but you will deal with it better once the shock wears off.

Were you charged? If so, when is your court date?

Take care of yourself x

Hi, I am looking for some help and advice as I am in a real mess over this. I made a huge mistake and feel totally ashamed.

I had about 7 pints over the course of an afternoon (first one about 2pm until 8pm). I stupidly got in my car after a taxi didn’t arrive as I was tired and cold. I pulled over near home and had a sleep. I awoke about 9pm and realised I had not put my handbrake on and the car rolled into a bollard. Car was trashed but I was unhurt and thank god no one else was.

Some onlookers called the police and I was taken to hospital where they took bloods about 3am. I admitted I had been drinking but cannot remember doing a breath test. They drove me to my sisters house after the hospital as I’d recently had broken ribs and the police said they were worried about any head injuries as I live alone.

I broke my ribs 2 months before and been very depressed. I had hardly been drinking prior to this but was out with a heavy drinker and kept up with them, but should say it’s not their fault, although looking back I was pretty vulnerable and feeling depressed beforehand...

I have no prior convictions. I’ve already got a letter from the council about the cost of the bollard that I hit. My car is written off. I have some questions:

1. Is it a waste of time making an insurance claim, will I just have to suck up the cost myself?
  2. I am paying £2500 for a barrister/solicitor. Is it too much? Seems like a lot compared to what I have read on this forum. I was so scared and messed up I just took the first one without much research.
  3. I know my blood reading will be over the limit but does anyone know how much?
  4. Does any mitigation in court ever work? Physical and mental problems don’t seem to count for anything in court as far as I can tell.
  5. Is it worth buying a cheap car until I know the outcome of my case? Has anyone done this? I live in a semi rural location so am struggling without it. Or is it just throwing money away until I know?
I’m so confused, I have no one to ask, my partner has dumped me over this, I darent tell friends in case they judge me in the same way, and my family are no help at all.

Many thanks for any advice as I’m feeling desperate and ashamed. I feel like a total leper. People regard drink driving as the lowest crime, even if you didn’t hurt anyone else and you have a history of depression or other mental health issues. I feel sick with worry.

Thank you.
Answering in line:
1 Check the small print Many insurance companies have a get out clause if alcohol was involved
2 Way too much, particularly if you plan on a guilty plea
3 Can't help there
4 Previous good character but being brutally honest you are looking at the least at a 12 month ban. Maybe more depending on blood results
5 Depends on your insurance company. Will they still insure you until court? Don't know about the logistics but maybe rent a car until then?

Thanks all for your advice. I am wondering whether to dispense with my solicitor - as it is a lot of money. I have already paid a deposit of £1000 so I guess that will be lost but at least it would save me shelling out another £1500! I am in such a mess over this.

Thanks all for your advice. I am wondering whether to dispense with my solicitor - as it is a lot of money. I have already paid a deposit of £1000 so I guess that will be lost but at least it would save me shelling out another £1500! I am in such a mess over this.
Far to much for solicitor and you should wait and see what blood results are before you pay that kinda money

OK thanks for your advice - it is a heck of a lot of money so I will take a look at the terms I agreed with the solicitor (hope they won't insist i pay the lot). I am certain my blood results will be high but I am pleading guilty. I panicked and now that 10 weeks have passed since the accident (and no response from police yet) I will cancel. Thanks again for your response, I am so stressed I cannot think straight.

Not quite sure how you managed to roll slowly into a bollard while you were asleep without waking yourself and wrote your car off ?

as story's go in court i think your going to have to come up with something better than that ? if magistrates think you are taking the p#ss they will give you the maximum

and to be honest, if you can afford 2.5k for advice, why are you worried about buying a cheap car on the short term ? what is a cheap car in your world ? 10k 20k ?

@hatatty I think you need to read posts thoroughly before commenting, the original poster actually stated they pulled over for a sleep.

I pulled over near home and had a sleep. I awoke about 9pm and realised I had not put my handbrake on and the car rolled into a bollard.

@hatatty Also please try to keep your posts constructive & helpful or refrain from posting altogether. Thanks.

OK thanks for your advice - it is a heck of a lot of money so I will take a look at the terms I agreed with the solicitor (hope they won't insist i pay the lot). I am certain my blood results will be high but I am pleading guilty. I panicked and now that 10 weeks have passed since the accident (and no response from police yet) I will cancel. Thanks again for your response, I am so stressed I cannot think straight.

If you genuinely only had seven pints over six hours, the reading might not be as high as you may think. Almost definitely over the limit but probably only in ban and fine territory, although I'm making a fair few assumptions.

@hatatty I think you need to read posts thoroughly before commenting, the original poster actually stated they pulled over for a sleep.

@hatatty Also please try to keep your posts constructive & helpful or refrain from posting altogether. Thanks.
Sorry forum moderator i'm not quite sure what your pulling me up for here ? the guy is over the limit, goes to sleep in his car and somehow it rolls into a bollard and the car is written off ? am i missing something here ?

Sorry forum moderator i'm not quite sure what your pulling me up for here ? the guy is over the limit, goes to sleep in his car and somehow it rolls into a bollard and the car is written off ? am i missing something here ?
The reason for this forum is to provide help, advice and support for people who are generally at a pretty low time. Having someone question what they've said (under a pseudonym) and then judging them oddly really isnt helping.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off