HRO or not?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rebecca2000

Hello, I'm hoping for some advice if possible.
I was charged with failing to produce a specimen in December 2016 (not drink driving - long story) and had a suspension of a year (9months after course). This is classed as a HRO offence, so had to have a medical to receive my license back. I had a CDT test in September 2017 and received a score of 3.3% which I considered inaccurate. I immediately had 2 CDT tests privately which scored 1.6% and 1.7% . I got my solicitor involved and had my license back within the month, however it was only for a year. The following year 2018, DVLA issued me with another license for a year (after contacting my doctor), but I didn't have to have a medical). The following year 2019 was the same, then in 2020 it was COVID, so no renewal license but a letter confirming I could still drive.
I now have a CDT test booked in January 2022 and my query is - Am I still classed as a HRO? I have never been to my doctor regarding alcohol misuse and have not actually been to the doctor for anything in over 5 years, so I am confident that there is no medical evidence to support alcohol misuse. I have re-read my letters from the DVLA and the only reference to abstinence for a year is, "If you have a previous history of alcohol dependence you are required to show abstinence from alcohol for 12 months". I do not have a previous history, so did not even consider this. I have been drinking socially over the past year and never considered myself as a HRO because I assumed that was quashed after I got my license back when I complained. I only visited this site to read other peoples views on the CDT test, and how long they have gone without alcohol before the test, but on reading all the posts, I am now concerned about the HRO abstinence thing. Any advice? Thanks

Technically, you are not an HRO. HRO status is only whilst someone is banned, when you receive a 1 or 3 year licence back, you are considered on a medical licence.

Abstinence for a year is only required for those who have been classified (correctly or incorrectly) as alcohol dependent. Those considered to have misused alcohol have to either abstain fully, or drink within Government guidelines (14 units a week, and no more than 6 units in 1 sitting) for at least 6 months.

The DVLA medical requirement whilst on a medical licence can last for up to 6 years (or longer...) Any inference from medical agencies, the Police or any other relevant agencies that misuse or dependence is still the case can see the licence revoked again.

If your medical is in January, you are best advised to stop the drinking now until after the medical. The 'traffic light system' whereby DVLA said a CDT of less than 1.7% was green, between 1.7%-2.9% as amber, and over 3% as red no longer seems to be relevant. Many people have reported having levels of less than 1% and still being refused their licence. Just remember that the CDT is only 1 of the things that they look at, they also look at your questionnaire and your GP report, along with any other information from the likes of the Police, other NHS/medical services, traffic commissioner etc.

Technically, you are not an HRO. HRO status is only whilst someone is banned, when you receive a 1 or 3 year licence back, you are considered on a medical licence.

Abstinence for a year is only required for those who have been classified (correctly or incorrectly) as alcohol dependent. Those considered to have misused alcohol have to either abstain fully, or drink within Government guidelines (14 units a week, and no more than 6 units in 1 sitting) for at least 6 months.

The DVLA medical requirement whilst on a medical licence can last for up to 6 years (or longer...) Any inference from medical agencies, the Police or any other relevant agencies that misuse or dependence is still the case can see the licence revoked again.

If your medical is in January, you are best advised to stop the drinking now until after the medical. The 'traffic light system' whereby DVLA said a CDT of less than 1.7% was green, between 1.7%-2.9% as amber, and over 3% as red no longer seems to be relevant. Many people have reported having levels of less than 1% and still being refused their licence. Just remember that the CDT is only 1 of the things that they look at, they also look at your questionnaire and your GP report, along with any other information from the likes of the Police, other NHS/medical services, traffic commissioner etc.
Thank you for your reply, you've been very helpful

Hi, can I just ask with regard to the traffic light system, is this something you have observed or do they not actually use this system anymore?

Mainly by observation. I received a letter through last year from DVLA with different figures - less than 1.6% indicated no recent excess alcohol intake, 1.6-2.3% indicates recent excess alcohol, and 2.3-2.9% regular excess alcohol intake. Over 3% indicates regular excess alcohol intake, and possibly indicates alcohol dependence. Others have had letters saying below 1.7% as no alcohol intake, and I'm sure others have mentioned different figures quoted.

If you read through different threads, you will see that there seems to be an observation that those previously classed as alcohol dependent need a CDT of below 1%, however as previously stated there also seems to be a number of people who got below 1% and were still refused their licence.

Hi, can I just ask with regard to the traffic light system, is this something you have observed or do they not actually use this system anymore?
You would be well advised to not drink between now and your medical rebecca. At least a month if you are a moderate drinker but 6 weeks would be much better and they really have become strict on it now. A 1% CDT reading seems to be the bench mark. May be worth getting a private test done asap and that will tell you where your current levels are.

Mainly by observation. I received a letter through last year from DVLA with different figures - less than 1.6% indicated no recent excess alcohol intake, 1.6-2.3% indicates recent excess alcohol, and 2.3-2.9% regular excess alcohol intake. Over 3% indicates regular excess alcohol intake, and possibly indicates alcohol dependence. Others have had letters saying below 1.7% as no alcohol intake, and I'm sure others have mentioned different figures quoted.

If you read through different threads, you will see that there seems to be an observation that those previously classed as alcohol dependent need a CDT of below 1%, however as previously stated there also seems to be a number of people who got below 1% and were still refused their licence.
Thanks for the reply, seems to be a mine field!

You would be well advised to not drink between now and your medical rebecca. At least a month if you are a moderate drinker but 6 weeks would be much better and they really have become strict on it now. A 1% CDT reading seems to be the bench mark. May be worth getting a private test done asap and that will tell you where your current levels are.
Thanks, I think I will take a private test.

Thanks, I think I will take a private test.
Hi Rebecca, if you do decide to do a private test, can you please let us know how you get on, which one you used and the costs etc.? I'm hearing these tests are not as accurate as the DVLA test and fairly expensive!

Hi Rebecca, if you do decide to do a private test, can you please let us know how you get on, which one you used and the costs etc.? I'm hearing these tests are not as accurate as the DVLA test and fairly expensive!
Medichecks are the main one and they are just as accurate as the dvla ones i can 100% tell you that.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off