HRO One Year Licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

RSFred

Hi all
DVLA class me as having a history of dependence and following doctor report and medical been granted one year licence. Letter confirming decision said 'we will contact your doctor for up to date medical reports' what does this mean in practice? prior to granting this licence I saw my doctor 3 or 4 times over the year for other medical reasons and each time the doctor noted no alcohol consumption this seemed sufficient for the DVLA this time.

That's not too bad a turn around, It is good to have a license issued at all for dependence issues usually you have to prove one year abstinence with liver function tests and not able to drive until this has been proven.

That's not too bad a turn around, It is good to have a license issued at all for dependence issues usually you have to prove one year abstinence with liver function tests and not able to drive until this has been proven.
I saw my GP fairly often and he always noted abstinence on my records no LTTs were taken, I dont think DVLA can insist on testing?

I saw my GP fairly often and he always noted abstinence on my records no LTTs were taken, I dont think DVLA can insist on testing?

With Dependence they can...usually any signs of recent dependence you have to prove alcohol free for 1 year, misuse 6 months, the only way these are usually done is through LFT's which has to be done by your GP, cant be a private one.

With Dependence they can...usually any signs of recent dependence you have to prove alcohol free for 1 year, misuse 6 months, the only way these are usually done is through LFT's which has to be done by your GP, cant be a private one.
Thanks for this - I have proved alcohol free for one year and now have licence issued for further year. I guess my point was that in proving last year abstinence (which DVLA obviously accepted) I didn't require or have LFT's through the year. The 'contact doctor' element of the letter from DVLA seems to refer to the renewal process 3 months before this new licence expires

Thanks for this - I have proved alcohol free for one year and now have licence issued for further year. I guess my point was that in proving last year abstinence (which DVLA obviously accepted) I didn't require or have LFT's through the year. The 'contact doctor' element of the letter from DVLA seems to refer to the renewal process 3 months before this new licence expires

Its good the DVLA accepted it, it might be if the dependency was not classed as "recent" well done on getting a one year license back by the way

DVLA are very sketchy and do not specifically ask for LFT's, they do however ask for proof of abstinence (if necessary). What they want you to provide as proof is not written in stone, however regular LFT's can show good proof that you have been in contact with your GP and the parameters of the LFT's are either stable or going in the right direction.

I'm sure that there are other ways of keeping them happy, but the LFT route seems the easiest and most proven method. I myself was refused for 6 months as a misuser, I didn't have any LFT proof but did have my GP on board, which helped in the end!

DVLA are very sketchy and do not specifically ask for LFT's, they do however ask for proof of abstinence (if necessary). What they want you to provide as proof is not written in stone, however regular LFT's can show good proof that you have been in contact with your GP and the parameters of the LFT's are either stable or going in the right direction.

I'm sure that there are other ways of keeping them happy, but the LFT route seems the easiest and most proven method. I myself was refused for 6 months as a misuser, I didn't have any LFT proof but did have my GP on board, which helped in the end!

What was classed as misuse for you Tom on your medical records? was it a random entry from a former visit to your GP and notes were made? There seems to be such a wide spectrum classed as "misuse"

What was classed as misuse for you Tom on your medical records? was it a random entry from a former visit to your GP and notes were made? There seems to be such a wide spectrum classed as "misuse"
I had previously spoke to my GP about drinking on emotions and generally 'self medicating'(causing??) for anxiety/depression. I had also been to A+E and separately had an ambulance called to me after drinking heavily within the previous 12 months.

I had previously spoke to my GP about drinking on emotions and generally 'self medicating'(causing??) for anxiety/depression. I had also been to A+E and separately had an ambulance called to me after drinking heavily within the previous 12 months.

Thats a tough break, its like i put on another thread its things like that on your medical record that i never thought (stupidly) would affect you getting your license back but sort of makes sense.

Are you now back driving and on a full license?

Thats a tough break, its like i put on another thread its things like that on your medical record that i never thought (stupidly) would affect you getting your license back but sort of makes sense.

Are you now back driving and on a full license?
Yes I have my licence back. I was due it back in Aug 2019, I was declined for 6 months for misuse (which as I mentioned was well documented, and my belief was it was a correct decision to decline me). I reapplied in Feb 2020, and in March was declined again - this time for dependence. It turned out that after my DVLA medical they wrote to my GP. A random Doctor at my GP surgery filled the forms in and they declined me. I spoke to my GP who was fully aware of my situation and what I had done to turn things around. She wrote to DVLA agreeing that I had previous misuse but was not and never had been dependent. Because of Covid it was delayed but I got my 1 year medical licence back in July.
I think people have to be realistic about their history and their current situation. Gp history doesn't necessarily cause issues as long as the notes are followed to a conclusion, or at least kept updated. If somebody saw a Dr 5 years ago and was at the time drinking dangerously, but sorted themselves out without the GP, the notes would still show that issue. GP's have an obligation to report what they know/what they think they know, and if this is based only on previous notes it may not be a reflection of the actual current situation. Keeping the GP on board is paramount, but equally so is being honest about your own situation. If someone is honestly just trying to play the system to get their licence back but hasn't addressed any previous issues, then they are opening themselves to all sorts of problems going forward....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off