HRO Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Carra

Hi all
I will need an HRO eventually and just wanted some advice.
How far back can the medical trace any alcohol consumption?
Is it a month or two months or longer?
I only ask as my daughter's wedding is in October (assuming it goes ahead given COVID).
I know I could drink nothing at all but as it her wedding - and hopefully her only wedding :) - I would like to celebrate a bit but am aware of the HRO issue.
Any advice much appreciated.
Best
Nick

If you have 12-14 units in a one off session then it is unlikely to raise your CDT by much at all. (assuming it is low anyway)
your only issue could be if there is something on your medical records that might show you as alcohol dependent. If there is, and you show up as anything other than a minimal CDT reading, they it could cause you problems and you would be best having a dry wedding.....

Last edited:
Hi, carra the DVLA medical process and CDT reading will allow you to drink ( in moderation 14 units spread over 7 days) and no more than 3 drinks in one sitting it only becomes a problem if you did binge drink which in some cases can raise CDT readings but not all ,however if you're not a big drinker then you should be OK to celebrate, most people or the majority of do abstain for a month or two before their medical, for people who have no alcohol issues then your CDT reading cut off point is 2.1........be mindful of the figures above when you do fill in your alcohol questionarres at the medical......

Thanks for all this.
I had a look at HRO questionnaire and it asked about number of times over last 12 months whether i have had more than 6 units? in one sitting? It is not easy to say accurately but I would say easily 50 times ( and that includes a few months with no alcohol at all). Should i basically lie or just alter this figure right down to single figures or whatever?
If my CDT was fine - would they know if i was lying?

The question on the dr1 medical questionnaire confused me do they presume you are alcohol dependent.

1. As a result of alcohol dependence have you needed to take prescribed medication to help you stop drinking alcohol safely (alcohol detoxification).

A, if yes give details etc

What's all that about.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off