Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi again
So I’m seeing my Gp tomorrow morning. Hopefully I get long enough to speak with him about a few things.
As an HRO can anyone tell me about stating when I last had a drink?? I’ve read on these forums that as an HRO it’s best to state I’ve been T total.
It’s bad enough that I have to admit I’ve been on a class A drug, even though it was back in 2020 & I was on Methadone for 2 weeks starting the 30/09/2020 before getting it stopped.
I’ve got no proof I’ve stayed away from drugs or drink since then either!!
What annoys me is they’re quick enough to put it on your med’ records that you’re on drink & drugs because you disclosed it to them. But when you say “I’m now clean”!! You have to prove it grrrrrrr…
So I’m gonna book my medical this week as I’ve had the paperwork through after a 2 month wait from sending my application.
What does the medical consist of if you’re an HRO??
Will they just take my blood, fill out a questionnaire, poke n prod my liver etc then send me on my merry way??
Because I will be admitting the drugs, will they ask for a piss test on that day??
Or will the doctor send off my paperwork to DVLA, who will then contact my GP to fill out a DD2?? Then ask me back for another medical to test my piss & go through the same questions??
I gotta say I’m getting a bit lost after reading through these forums to get a better picture. To be fair I wished I’d found these forums a few years back.
I spose I’ve just got to roll with it, all part of the punishment!!
I don’t drink heavily so I’m not worried about my CDT score. I stopped drinking over a week ago now. Up til then I only drank on the weekend & mainly at home on my own, as my Mrs doesn’t drink!!
Any help much appreciated
Many thanks
Darron

Sorry forgot to add
Will they automatically speak to my GP as I’m an HRO
Cos if not I feel like answering no to every question. Giving a low CDT score & hopefully winging it to a licence!!
Yeah yeah I know (Slaps wrist!!) 😂
Bloody medical records are gonna **** me over I just know it. FML 🤦

Sorry forgot to add
Will they automatically speak to my GP as I’m an HRO
Cos if not I feel like answering no to every question. Giving a low CDT score & hopefully winging it to a licence!!
Yeah yeah I know (Slaps wrist!!) 😂
Bloody medical records are gonna **** me over I just know it. FML 🤦
Hello Darron,
They will contact your doctor 100% if your HRO, if you've got previous alcohol misuse or your gp record DVLA demand 6 month's abstinence or under 14 units per week, if you have alcohol dependency on it then they demand 1 year's total abstinence, you prove this by logging your last day you drank with your gp and having liver blood tests done roughly every 3-4 months at your gp surgery.
No sure about the drugs im afraid, maybe start a new thread and hope for a reply.

All the best!

Hi Darron
It seems unfair when you’ve pulled your life round, but from the DVLAs perspective they will be interested in anything drink/drug related that’s happened in the last 6 years. I think being honest has to be the way….your GP is professionally bound to be honest when asked direct questions about you.
It’s good that you have an appointment on Monday….however the appointment is about something else so your GP may be unable to discuss the drug issue at the same time. You could mention it and see how it goes…or ask to make another appointment. Either way go looking really well presented, and if you have the opportunity to talk about the drugs, I’d be careful not to come over as being sorry for myself, but would definitely say that I was proud of the months of sobriety from drugs that I’d achieved. You could ask what’s in your notes that’s drug related, keep it as an open question, just on the off chance that wherever you went for your methadone trial didn’t make a computerised entry. ( most NHS departments these days can access and make notes on people’s medical records. Maybe it wasn’t an NHS facility? Although I imagine it probably would be ) Establishing a positive relationship with your GP may not help you at this stage, but will in the future.
People who are prescribed Pregabalin usually have regular medication reviews, so that should be more opportunity to keep in touch with the surgery.
Good luck. Kind regards J
Hi Darron
It seems unfair when you’ve pulled your life round, but from the DVLAs perspective they will be interested in anything drink/drug related that’s happened in the last 6 years. I think being honest has to be the way….your GP is professionally bound to be honest when asked direct questions about you.
It’s good that you have an appointment on Monday….however the appointment is about something else so your GP may be unable to discuss the drug issue at the same time. You could mention it and see how it goes…or ask to make another appointment. Either way go looking really well presented, and if you have the opportunity to talk about the drugs, I’d be careful not to come over as being sorry for myself, but would definitely say that I was proud of the months of sobriety from drugs that I’d achieved. You could ask what’s in your notes that’s drug related, keep it as an open question, just on the off chance that wherever you went for your methadone trial didn’t make a computerised entry. ( most NHS departments these days can access and make notes on people’s medical records. Maybe it wasn’t an NHS facility? Although I imagine it probably would be ) Establishing a positive relationship with your GP may not help you at this stage, but will in the future.
People who are prescribed Pregabalin usually have regular medication reviews, so that should be more opportunity to keep in touch with the surgery.
Good luck. Kind regards J
Went to the Docs today. As it was for something else all he’d tell me was once dvla send them a dd2 form someone from the surgery would call me to fill it out over the phone.
Asked him if he was my GP to which he said no I’m a locum doctor!! I asked if it was possible for him to be my preferred GP?? He said yes, tell reception before you leave, which I did 👍
Anyway he told me to go celebrate with a drink as the lump isn’t cancer!! I told him I’ve not drank since my 40th birthday as I want to get my licence back plus I’m diabetic type 2…
When I got home I decided to contact the dvla medical doctor to book appointment. All done for June 13th. Gives me extra clean time even if it’s only 3 weeks away!! 😂
Also when I spoke to the doctors secretary, I asked her what would happen on the day?? She said on the forms I was sent from dvla it should say. So whilst on the phone I had a quick look 👀. It just said about the questionnaire, blood test & a physical examination. Well until I get the medical done all I can do is wait it out now!!
Wish me luck amigos 💪

Went to the Docs today. As it was for something else all he’d tell me was once dvla send them a dd2 form someone from the surgery would call me to fill it out over the phone.
Asked him if he was my GP to which he said no I’m a locum doctor!! I asked if it was possible for him to be my preferred GP?? He said yes, tell reception before you leave, which I did 👍
Anyway he told me to go celebrate with a drink as the lump isn’t cancer!! I told him I’ve not drank since my 40th birthday as I want to get my licence back plus I’m diabetic type 2…
When I got home I decided to contact the dvla medical doctor to book appointment. All done for June 13th. Gives me extra clean time even if it’s only 3 weeks away!! 😂
Also when I spoke to the doctors secretary, I asked her what would happen on the day?? She said on the forms I was sent from dvla it should say. So whilst on the phone I had a quick look 👀. It just said about the questionnaire, blood test & a physical examination. Well until I get the medical done all I can do is wait it out now!!
Wish me luck amigos 💪
Yes best of luck,, it really is SOOOO stressful,, just don't have a drop till then which will give you more confidence,, it really isn't anything to worry about just think very carefully about your blood results matching with your answers

Yes best of luck,, it really is SOOOO stressful,, just don't have a drop till then which will give you more confidence,, it really isn't anything to worry about just think very carefully about your blood results matching with your answers
Also I’ve booked the appointment with the dvla medical helpline. Gotta love automated calls 😂
Roll on the 13th June 2022!! Oi Oi…

If you blood matchs with your answer
Also I’ve booked the appointment with the dvla medical helpline. Gotta love automated calls 😂
Roll on the 13th June 2022!! Oi Oi…
I stopped drinking for 7 months but my cdt was still high.i was shocked

Hi, Having done a HRO test last year I was classified as misuse in September. Will I need to do another medical this September or will they just consult my GP? Thanks

Hi, Having done a HRO test last year I was classified as misuse in September. Will I need to do another medical this September or will they just consult my doctor
We’re you given a short term licence? If so yes I myself have been tested every year for 5 years even thou I have never been convicted of any offence apparently they can test you every year for ten years before even giving you a full unrestricted licence back

Last edited:
We’re you given a short term licence? If so yes I myself have been tested every year for 5 years even thou I have never been convicted of any offence apparently they can test you every year for ten years before even giving you a full unrestricted licence back
Yes it was a 1 year license… oh brilliant!

Finally had my medical yesterday!

Paid my money to the receptionist and took a seat in the waiting room.
After 20 minutes or so I was invited to see the doctor.

Took just over half an hour. Initially the GP was a little bit clinical and stand offish with me which made it a bit stressful, I felt like a right crook!

But after about 10 minutes he was more friendly and by the end it was very conversational.

Started by checking my passport and asked me fill in a form which told them who my GP was. Then signed a release form for data protection etc.

He asked me all the questions on the questionnaire. I've not drunk for almost 1000 days so we rattled through it pretty quickly, answering NO to everything.

Then he weighted me, measured my height, listened to my heart beat, did an eye check on me, felt my stomach and around my liver area. He asked me to stand with my hands out in front of me and close my eyes.

Then he took bloods and explained to me all about how the CDT test works.

At the end he told me to expect approximately 6 weeks before my licence is available, maybe sooner (my ban ends in 7 days)

I plaid dumb and asked if there was anything that might slow it down? He said as long as the bloods are fine it should be very quick.

Despite being HRO, he said it was very unlikely that my GP would be contacted given that I quit alcohol almost 3 years ago. He also said that he was satisfied with my physical examination and said there was no reason in his mind why my licence should be denied.

He asked me about my career, my family and we talked about my choice to give up alcohol and how I look forward to starting a new chapter of my life.

Before I left he wished me luck and said that it was a pleasure to meet me.

All in all it was pretty straightforward and I can't tell you what a weight off my mind it all is.

I've got 7 days left of my disqualification. Here's hoping that it won't be extended too much by the slow processing of the DVLA.

I'll keep you all posted

I just wanted to reassure anyone else worried about the experience of the medical examination as I’ve just came out of mine.
In total I was with the Dr for about 20 minutes and she was very friendly - At the start of the medical she reassured me that she wasn’t there to judge and she doesn’t know any details of my offence.
Firstly I had my height and weight taken, then the Dr went through the questionnaire with me which was about 3/4 pages, then she listened to my heartbeat, felt my stomach and took the bloods.
She advised my blood would be sent off today and the questionnaire tomorrow.
I’m so relieved it’s over for now & look forward to my results.
Good luck to anyone else!

As a long time lurker on these forums, thought I'd give my timescales so far...
Ban was in 2014, 2nd one in 10 years so was deemed an HRO. Didn't apply for my license back as had no need of it, however last year went on a bit of a health kick and decided to have a go. Some background, up until the health kick, I did drink most days, but didn't binge, usually 3 bottles of beer or the occasional g&t at the weekend. The health kick was triggered by the fact I'd put on 22kgs over lockdown, so wanted to shift it

19/10/2021 - sent off forms to start the process
22/11/2021 - DVLA cleared the check
Sometime in January 2022 - Called the DVLA, phone lines were constantly unavailable due to being busy, so did the # key trick and was put through to someone, they explained they didn't have any timescales unfortunately. Put to the back of my mind
06/04/2022 - Receive the letter to book the medical. Paid as per the Surgery's instructions. Contact the Dr's surgery they had appointed (30 miles from my house), they explained they didn't have any appointments yet and to try again next week. Repeat this for a month.
16/05/2022 - Surgery states they are now looking to do June's appointments, and as I have paid and it's going to be near to the 12 week limit I'll have priority.
26/05/2022 - Surgery calls me to book the appointment, appointment booked for am 20/06/2022 (week 11 of the 12 weeks)
20/06/2022 - Have the HRO medical, Dr went through everything, was happy with my physical and answers, said I'd expect to hear probably in about 2 weeks
05/07/2022 - Call DVLA, they stated they posted a letter to my GP yesterday, so are waiting on that.

Looking at the timescales, sounds like I likely have a 90 day wait which will take the total time up to 12 months start to finish! I have no qualms about my CDT levels, I did a medichecks one 2 weeks after drinking all Easter weekend (first drink since end of September last year, but drank on the Friday and Saturday) and that came back at 1.1%, only alcohol I had drunk between then and my CDT test was on the Jubilee weekend when I tried a pint of Jubilee ale, so three weeks before the medical.

Not concerned about what my GP will write, I have no medical history of alcohol misuse or dependence, in fact only ever see them for vaccinations or when I've needed treatment for infections (I have a dodgy immune system, which I attend a hospital for)
Judging by how long some people have said it's taken for letters to arrive from the DVLA to the GP, I'll give it a week or 2 to follow up with them

As a long time lurker on these forums, thought I'd give my timescales so far...
Ban was in 2014, 2nd one in 10 years so was deemed an HRO. Didn't apply for my license back as had no need of it, however last year went on a bit of a health kick and decided to have a go. Some background, up until the health kick, I did drink most days, but didn't binge, usually 3 bottles of beer or the occasional g&t at the weekend. The health kick was triggered by the fact I'd put on 22kgs over lockdown, so wanted to shift it

19/10/2021 - sent off forms to start the process
22/11/2021 - DVLA cleared the check
Sometime in January 2022 - Called the DVLA, phone lines were constantly unavailable due to being busy, so did the # key trick and was put through to someone, they explained they didn't have any timescales unfortunately. Put to the back of my mind
06/04/2022 - Receive the letter to book the medical. Paid as per the Surgery's instructions. Contact the Dr's surgery they had appointed (30 miles from my house), they explained they didn't have any appointments yet and to try again next week. Repeat this for a month.
16/05/2022 - Surgery states they are now looking to do June's appointments, and as I have paid and it's going to be near to the 12 week limit I'll have priority.
26/05/2022 - Surgery calls me to book the appointment, appointment booked for am 20/06/2022 (week 11 of the 12 weeks)
20/06/2022 - Have the HRO medical, Dr went through everything, was happy with my physical and answers, said I'd expect to hear probably in about 2 weeks
05/07/2022 - Call DVLA, they stated they posted a letter to my GP yesterday, so are waiting on that.

Looking at the timescales, sounds like I likely have a 90 day wait which will take the total time up to 12 months start to finish! I have no qualms about my CDT levels, I did a medichecks one 2 weeks after drinking all Easter weekend (first drink since end of September last year, but drank on the Friday and Saturday) and that came back at 1.1%, only alcohol I had drunk between then and my CDT test was on the Jubilee weekend when I tried a pint of Jubilee ale, so three weeks before the medical.

Not concerned about what my GP will write, I have no medical history of alcohol misuse or dependence, in fact only ever see them for vaccinations or when I've needed treatment for infections (I have a dodgy immune system, which I attend a hospital for)
Judging by how long some people have said it's taken for letters to arrive from the DVLA to the GP, I'll give it a week or 2 to follow up with them
Great Post,, keep us updated

I'm hoping this thread can become a sticky and be the one stop place to compare peoples experiences. It can be difficult as it seems (quite understandably) that people don't come back on here once they have got their licences back but I would appreciate anyone who does to please fill in the following below and post:

1) Date you applied for new licence: 01/01/2022
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 03/04/2022
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:17/04/2022
4) Date of Medical:03/05/2022
5) Date of Results and Outcome:not yet

Also Please state:
Took a medichecks test I drink half a litre of vodka every day 33 years old obese never been convicted of drink driving applied for hgv license but medical record sais I misuse alcohol didn’t abstain before medichecks test result was 1.1 surprising really so not abstaining before test no reason to do so will pass
1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:none
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:heavy vodka use have done for years half a litre every day
Interestingly I got a letter from the dvla blood result was 1.0 even thou I never abstained had a letter through saying there happy with all my results and a full driving licence was issued yay my hell is over thank you to the forum been my best friend

Interestingly I got a letter from the dvla blood result was 1.0 even thou I never abstained had a letter through saying there happy with all my results and a full driving licence was issued yay my hell is over thank you to the forum been my best friend
Congratulations!! Happy driving! I ask everyone this question but did you answer no to everything on the questionnaire? 😊

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off