Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi do you know what caused them to write to your GP? I had my medical last week and no idea what will happen now. I answered no to most as not drunk for 2.5 years
I also haven't drunk for 2.5 years and only answered scored 1 on the questionnaire. They have also written to my GP the only reason being that I admitted to having had medication when I stopped drinking (a one week course of diazepam.)

I answered no to everything else and only answered yes to this in case they wrote to my GP anyway and he informed them of that. I have only ever seen my GP three times for alcohol issues and nave never been hospitalised, seen a consultant or crashed a car.

I also haven't drunk for 2.5 years and only answered scored 1 on the questionnaire. They have also written to my GP the only reason being that I admitted to having had medication when I stopped drinking (a one week course of diazepam.)

I answered no to everything else and only answered yes to this in case they wrote to my GP anyway and he informed them of that. I have only ever seen my GP three times for alcohol issues and nave never been hospitalised, seen a consultant or crashed a car.
Sounds like you will be fine then. When did you have your GP appointment? Mine seemed to go quite well. She was very supportive. I had it yesterday. Back to the waiting game.

Sounds like you will be fine then. When did you have your GP appointment? Mine seemed to go quite well. She was very supportive. I had it yesterday. Back to the waiting game.
I had my Medical (not my GP,) back on the 30th September. I spoke with my GP on the phone regarding the possibility/probability of DVLA writing to them on the 17th November just to make sure they had all the relevant facts about me not drinking for this extended period. He seemed very supportive and knew about the CDT test. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thankfully I am nearly at the end of the process, barring of course the DVLA wanting proof of abstinence. That will be a bummer.

I had my Medical (not my GP,) back on the 30th September. I spoke with my GP on the phone regarding the possibility/probability of DVLA writing to them on the 17th November just to make sure they had all the relevant facts about me not drinking for this extended period. He seemed very supportive and knew about the CDT test. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thankfully I am nearly at the end of the process, barring of course the DVLA wanting proof of abstinence. That will be a bummer.
Finally got my licence today!! What a Christmas present!

thank you everyone here who has helped me in the last two and a half years. What a great community. Full of empathy.
So my dates are:
18 June ban ended
21 June sent application to dvla
3 November medical m
20 dec medical results which showed abstinence
24 December licence granted
Wow what a journey.
Merry Christmas.

Finally got my licence today!! What a Christmas present!

thank you everyone here who has helped me in the last two and a half years. What a great community. Full of empathy.
So my dates are:
18 June ban ended
21 June sent application to dvla
3 November medical m
20 dec medical results which showed abstinence
24 December licence granted
Wow what a journey.
Merry Christmas.
Congratulations. That was a quick turnaround from the DVLA receiving your GP report and them issuing the licence. Some people are waiting months for this to happen.

Can I ask why you waited until your ban ended before applying for your licence and didn't apply 90 days before?

Congratulations. That was a quick turnaround from the DVLA receiving your GP report and them issuing the licence. Some people are waiting months for this to happen.

Can I ask why you waited until your ban ended before applying for your licence and didn't apply 90 days before?
Hi yes sure. I had to wait until my ban ended as I was banned for three years (so not up until June 2022) but I went to court after two years and the court ended it on that day in June this year. So I was given a full 12 months off but then had to wait just over 6 coz of the DVLA!!
My GP called me the day she got the forms and she returned them within a couple of days. Maybe that’s why it was quicker. Maybe I was just lucky for a change!!

If they do write to your doctor they will enquire if you have had any alcohol related problems in the past two years, including seizures, alcohol abuse or dependency. The answers will influence if they issue you with a full licence, a restricted one of perhaps 12 months or they refuse a licence.
You can read about the definition of these conditions here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive
Hi, oh do they only ask the GP if it's the last 2yrs as I'm understand it's 6yrs and couple of the GP questions don't give a time scale,,, I have notes for 3yrs and 7yrs ago so I'm really worried at mo.. Sent my application 1st Nov last Yr waiting to hear about the medical anytime now..

Wow, you have dug back through this thread to October 2018 to find this post of mine.I had to search back 364 posts to find it !!!!!!!!

The problem with looking back that far is that things change with time - and Covid.

The advice that I gave then was correct then.
Now you are right, they go back 6 years and some questions ask “have you ever?”

Wow, you have dug back through this thread to October 2018 to find this post of mine.I had to search back 364 posts to find it !!!!!!!!

The problem with looking back that far is that things change with time - and Covid.

Sorry don't know how that happened 🙉thanks for reply

God knows how I managed that 🙉, thanks for reply,, do you know if they ever go back more than 6yrs please

Sorry don't know how that happened 🙉thanks for reply

God knows how I managed that 🙉, thanks for reply,, do you know if they ever go back more than 6yrs please
Yes, for the bits about ‘have you ever?’

So to the GP questions has your patient ever,,, if she we're to answer no then surely there would be no need for dvla to look back further than 6yrs
Not sure where you are going on this.
Yesterday you answered another poster on here with: “ I too was prescribed diazepam after a bingy couple of weeks after alcohol,, worried this will go against me too,, that was 3yrs ago in May..” so that is going to come up anyway in the GP’s report.
Have a read of the medical questionnaire that the GP fills in and you can judge what is going to be reported to DVLA

And this is the questionnaire that you will be asked to complete (or the doctor will complete) at the DVLA medical. Obviously the two sets of answers will be compared and if you have misled DVLA in the form you have filled out,, the process is likely to be very drawn out, or you may be refused a licence.

Not sure where you are going on this.
Yesterday you answered another poster on here with: “ I too was prescribed diazepam after a bingy couple of weeks after alcohol,, worried this will go against me too,, that was 3yrs ago in May..” so that is going to come up anyway in the GP’s report.
Have a read of the medical questionnaire that the GP fills in and you can judge what is going to be reported to DVLA

And this is the questionnaire that you will be asked to complete (or the doctor will complete) at the DVLA medical. Obviously the two sets of answers will be compared and if you have misled DVLA in the form you have filled out,, the process is likely to be very drawn out, or you may be refused a licence.

Yes thankyou for all the information I think I need to stop stressing so much and asking questions I already know the answers to.. Its very difficult on this forum not meeting the people as you don't get the full picture..

Don't worry about asking questions, it is a very stressful time in your life.

Don't worry about asking questions, it is a very stressful time in your life.
Yes it sure is,, I'm glad I came on here though because I found some useful information... But it's actually really stressing me out now the more I come on here, gonna give it a rest for a bit until there is more info I need, waiting to hear to book the medical so I'll perhaps post my experience with that 😉

Just to jump on this post , on the questionnaire it says have you regularly misused alcohol etc , how do they define that? A binge every now and again is ok or not ok 🤷🏼‍♀️

Just to jump on this post , on the questionnaire it says have you regularly misused alcohol etc , how do they define that? A binge every now and again is ok or not ok 🤷🏼‍♀️

A binge is never medically considered okay. Do not admit to binge drinking they will consider that misuse. They consider more than 8 units in one sitting a binge and that can have you catagorised a misuser.

Ok so no to all questions, only thing I do have to say yes to is dependency ever, but was nearly 20 years ago, I’m just worried they will ask me to prove a year of abstinence as on my go report in 2018 a relationship ended and I did go to the dr said I’d been drinking for few days, will that alone make them not issue me a licence, and what’s the odds of them contacting gp anyway ? I’ve heard of people that havnt, I will pass cdt easily as no drink in over 18mths , thank you

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off