Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Is it worth keep ringing them? It's been 3 weeks since I last spoke to them...but I know all they'll say is 'we cant give any timescales' .... Surely there cant be that many people in the north east needing a medical?
I would ring them and explain your circumstances. It might not help but it’s worth a try. I wasn’t very pushy when at the stage that you are now, I just did as they said (I hadn’t discovered this forum) and the whole thing took months! It’s worth a call to try and become a priority at least

I think there's still a mega backlog I was due a medical around March/April and didn't get in until 30th September. The dvla doctor I saw was the only one who covered two local authorities in west Yorkshire with a population on nearly 750,000 folk and she was snowed under with medicals
Same with me. I was invited for medical in March but didn’t end up having it until 22/9. I’m in Yorkshire also

I finally had my HRO medical done yesterday (19th). It is a pretty straight forward procedure - I was in 25 minutes from start to finish.

The doctor went through the form and asked a series of questions about my medical background which were all answered as honestly as possible.

Can anyone advise me about declaring mental health issues? This question is a bone of contention with me - I have had mental health issues purely caused through excessive drinking.

I've never had 'dry/sober' depression or anxiety, but I answered 'yes' to the doctor's question anyway.

Does anyone know if this is likely to cause me further problems with the DVLA?

CJ

Reactions: TPR
I finally had my HRO medical done yesterday (19th). It is a pretty straight forward procedure - I was in 25 minutes from start to finish.

The doctor went through the form and asked a series of questions about my medical background which were all answered as honestly as possible.

Can anyone advise me about declaring mental health issues? This question is a bone of contention with me - I have had mental health issues purely caused through excessive drinking.

I've never had 'dry/sober' depression or anxiety, but I answered 'yes' to the doctor's question anyway.

CJ
Not if you pass the CDT on my letter is says below 1.7 suggest no recent intake level over the past month

Not if you pass the CDT on my letter is says below 1.7 suggest no recent intake level over the past month
This isn't necessarily the case. Depending on your circumstances, somebody with a reading of 1.2 such as yours could have their licence refused. It is generally accepted that those with a history of misuse or dependence (as classified by DVLA) may need to get a CDT level of below 1%. When I got my results through from DVLA when my licence was reissued, the letter stated below 1.6% "suggested no recent excess alcohol intake", yet other people have had letters stating below 2.1% as similar.

CJ
CJ what it may mean is that they probably will write to your GP. Had you said no to this question and then they wrote to the GP anyway, they would have known you were lying and therefore presume that you had lied on other questions also. Other people have seen the whole process dragged on because they gave misleading information which was contradicted by GP notes. The reason they ask about mental health is that there is a definite correlation between depression/anxiety and self medication/misuse of alcohol. As long as your GP notes are up to date and don't implicate you, you should be fine. Mental health issues do not necessarily mean that licences won't be issued, they just need to ensure that you aren't in the misuse/self medication category which would adversely affect your eligibility to hold a licence. Hold in there mate, I'm sure it will all be over soon!

This isn't necessarily the case. Depending on your circumstances, somebody with a reading of 1.2 such as yours could have their licence refused. It is generally accepted that those with a history of misuse or dependence (as classified by DVLA) may need to get a CDT level of below 1%. When I got my results through from DVLA when my licence was reissued, the letter stated below 1.6% "suggested no recent excess alcohol intake", yet other people have had letters stating below 2.1% as similar.

CJ what it may mean is that they probably will write to your GP. Had you said no to this question and then they wrote to the GP anyway, they would have known you were lying and therefore presume that you had lied on other questions also. Other people have seen the whole process dragged on because they gave misleading information which was contradicted by GP notes. The reason they ask about mental health is that there is a definite correlation between depression/anxiety and self medication/misuse of alcohol. As long as your GP notes are up to date and don't implicate you, you should be fine. Mental health issues do not necessarily mean that licences won't be issued, they just need to ensure that you aren't in the misuse/self medication category which would adversely affect your eligibility to hold a licence. Hold in there mate, I'm sure it will all be over soon!

Mmmm not quite right.

the DVLA state on the website the severity of depression and classify into “servere” and “mild to moderate” the latter classification of depression being you don’t have to declare to the DVLA, severe however must be declared, depression with suicidal attempts/thoughts and impaired behaviour through depression.

be careful as not to confuse and scare people!

Mmmm not quite right.

the DVLA state on the website the severity of depression and classify into “servere” and “mild to moderate” the latter classification of depression being you don’t have to declare to the DVLA, severe however must be declared, depression with suicidal attempts/thoughts and impaired behaviour through depression.

be careful as not to confuse and scare people!
I can't see what is "...not quite right" or how I confused and scared people? - Can you expand on this???

As I said, mental health issues don't necessarily mean that your licence will be refused. DVLA have an obligation to ensure that applicants are fit to hold a licence, and I never mentioned about not disclosing depression. There are loads of medical conditions that have to be reported to DVLA, but this does not mean that they all result in your licence being refused or revoked, what I said is that if somebody decides to lie about a condition and subsequent DVLA enquiries show this up it may well impair the decision to return a licence.

How long did you abstain for and what were your drinking habits before??
I had 4 cans in 21 days before that I used to have cans every night after work but i do a very physical job so just sweat it out every day but i was banned in the early 90s and have never been to the Doctors for anything Drink or Mental Health related from then to now

I had 4 cans in 21 days before that I used to have cans every night after work but i do a very physical job so just sweat it out every day but i was banned in the early 90s and have never been to the Doctors for anything Drink or Mental Health related from then to now
How long from test to results was it??

1) Date you applied for new licence: April 2020
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: June 2020
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: June 2020
4) Date of Medical: 17.08.2020
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 9.09.2020
No outcome letter until November 20th 2020, CDT 0.6
They wrote to my GP who sent the medical questionnaire stating no issues on 09.09.2020

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: 3 months
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:
Minimal the occasional glass of dry white wine

I have been trying to speak to DVLA with limited success every Friday since March 2020. My ban was up 06/07/2020 but as an HRO I had to jump through all the hoops. I finally got my licence on 24.11.2020 so having paid the fine, court fees, TTC course and medical fee along with the solicitors it has cost me a fortune! Now I finally have my licence I am looking for car insurance so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all those on this site who give encouragement and support. I wish everyone the very best for their return to driving after the misdemeanour.

1) Date you applied for new licence: April 2020
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: June 2020
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: June 2020
4) Date of Medical: 17.08.2020
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 9.09.2020
No outcome letter until November 20th 2020, CDT 0.6
They wrote to my GP who sent the medical questionnaire stating no issues on 09.09.2020

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: 3 months
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:
Minimal the occasional glass of dry white wine

I have been trying to speak to DVLA with limited success every Friday since March 2020. My ban was up 06/07/2020 but as an HRO I had to jump through all the hoops. I finally got my licence on 24.11.2020 so having paid the fine, court fees, TTC course and medical fee along with the solicitors it has cost me a fortune! Now I finally have my licence I am looking for car insurance so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all those on this site who give encouragement and support. I wish everyone the very best for their return to driving after the misdemeanour.
Congratulations! I bet you can’t wait to get back on the road.
I am waiting for my medical results (had it on 26th October) and my disqualification ends on 5th December.
can’t wait to see my insurance quote not !

Congratulations! I bet you can’t wait to get back on the road.
I am waiting for my medical results (had it on 26th October) and my disqualification ends on 5th December.
can’t wait to see my insurance quote not !
How long did you abstain before test and what were your drinking habits before?

How long did you abstain before test and what were your drinking habits before?
To be honest drinking habits before we’re around 8 units a month over 2 weekends... last drink before medical was 23rd September and 2 units
Hope i get my result soon. Dvla phone line is constantly engaged when I call to see what my results are!

To be honest drinking habits before we’re around 8 units a month over 2 weekends... last drink before medical was 23rd September and 2 units
Hope i get my result soon. Dvla phone line is constantly engaged when I call to see what my results are!
Let us know

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off