Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Is that correct? I really hope so. That’s brilliant and thank you for the heads up. I was just under the impression I had to sit tight. I’ll investigate and be back on here once I have a decision. Thanks again mate. Really appreciate it.
I’d back that up. It’s a good illustration that you are still classed as an HRO & you have not yet had a renewal. Luckily for you , your ban originated before the rules of the scheme were tightened in 2013. This included the fact you could simply not start driving after your ban was up and your forms complete.

Sorry me again, so I’m not the sharpest tool in the box can I just clarify please?
Speak to the DVLA first thing in the morning to confirm they have received my completed form.
Speak to my doctor and ask him to confirm he thinks I am safe to drive and then just get behind the wheel and away I go? (Already insured and taxed my car) or
Do I need to inform the DVLA I intend to do this under the section 88 rule? Just want to be safe as knowing my luck I’d mess something up. Sorry to be a pain in the arse.

You do not need to inform DVLA. I used to advise people doing this to get a letter of confirmation from DVLA so they have something to show the Police if stopped, but under the current climate there is zero chance of this happening.....
The only issue you may have is satisfying your insurance company that you are entitled to drive without being able to quote a driving licence number. If they check your previous one against the DVLA database it will show as expired...

You do not need to inform DVLA. I used to advise people doing this to get a letter of confirmation from DVLA so they have something to show the Police if stopped, but under the current climate there is zero chance of this happening.....
The only issue you may have is satisfying your insurance company that you are entitled to drive without being able to quote a driving licence number. If they check your previous one against the DVLA database it will show as expired...
The driving license number was a worry for me but I have got quotes from some after supplying my number. It’s classed as clean as all convictions have expired just have zero no claims. Thanks again Price 1367 you’ve been a really big help. Is verbal confirmation acceptable from my doctor as long as they put it on my records that I called and asked?

As you were banned prior to June 2013, if DVLA have received a completed correct application and your doctor has no concerns about your driving, then you can drive for up to 12 months Nader S88 Road Traffic Act 1988 for up to 12 months while the procedures for through.
To be on the safe side so would check with DVLA that your application has been received - if it was list in the post you would not be covered.
Also it would be as well to check with your GP. It isn’t enough to just say “he hasn’t told me not to drive” (but I haven’t asked)

The link is here:

Just to say thank you Mate, phoned DVLA yesterday they confirmed I can drive under section 88 so been doing just that and now await my medical. All thanks to you buddy really appreciate it. I will be back once I get a medical date and to let you know if I pass (been off the drink for 6 weeks now) thanks again

Reactions: TPR
Hi all,

Just thought would share experience to see if can assist.

1) Date you applied for new licence: 08/08/2020
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 25/08/2020
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: Did via Phone
4) Date of Medical:? 05/10/2020
5) Date of Results and Outcome: Awaiting results

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:
3 weeks.
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: 4/5 pints a night maybe 2/3 times a week with an odd 'big' Saturday.

Same as everyone else here really, medical was over and done with within 10-15 mins. Few questions about drinking habits, poke around of the liver, check of the eyes and a few balance checks. Dr informed should expect results within 2 - 3 weeks.

Quick update, when you are filling in your questionnaire make sure you answer all the questions. I forgot to fill in Q 10.A. Spoke to the DVLA and they have sent the form back to me to answer this question, wouldnt accept an answer of the phone so imagine this will delay decision a few weeks.

1603972015963.png
Annoyingly, with the answer to Q10 a 'No' you would have thought Q10A would automatically be a 'No' or not required to be answered.

Quick update, when you are filling in your questionnaire make sure you answer all the questions. I forgot to fill in Q 10.A. Spoke to the DVLA and they have sent the form back to me to answer this question, wouldnt accept an answer of the phone so imagine this will delay decision a few weeks.

View attachment 199
Annoyingly, with the answer to Q10 a 'No' you would have thought Q10A would automatically be a 'No' or not required to be answered.
I never had that question on my questionnaire,Nothing about drugs at all on it

I had my licence revoked due to being alcohol dependent. I have been sober for over a year now. Should of had my licence back on the 24th of September, but all the waiting for the doctors report and now waiting for a medical date. The DVLA said the DVLA doctors are fully booked and cant give any time scales . This is in the North East. Is it worth ring the DVLA doctors myself ? Or do I have to wait for the DVLA to write to me? So frustrating!!

Jeremy

I'm presently waiting for a DVLA medical but the doctor I have been allocated has a backlog of cases and there is a likely chance of not being seen until after the New Year.

I have found another DVLA approved doctor in another town that is the same distance from my address who does have appointments in the coming weeks and is more than happy to do my medical.

I have raised this issue with the DVLA and they state point blank I have to remain with the original doctor which seems ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

I've submitted a complaint, but I'm waiting to hear back from them.

CJ

Jeremy

I'm presently waiting for a DVLA medical but the doctor I have been allocated has a backlog of cases and there is a likely chance of not being seen until after the New Year.

I have found another DVLA approved doctor in another town that is the same distance from my address who does have appointments in the coming weeks and is more than happy to do my medical.

I have raised this issue with the DVLA and they state point blank I have to remain with the original doctor which seems ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

I've submitted a complaint, but I'm waiting to hear back from them.

CJ

Thanks CJ,

This is really stressing me out. I know it's not there fault but having to get taxis to and from work is getting expensive. I work shifts.

I cant drive under section 88 either ...

Thanks CJ,

This is really stressing me out. I know it's not there fault but having to get taxis to and from work is getting expensive. I work shifts.

I cant drive under section 88 either ...

Jeremy

I don't know what the issue is with the DVLA - they just seem to make the whole process alot more difficult. It must impact on their own workload too which is being held up by people in the 'system' like ourselves who could easily get our medicals done and therefore progress cases.

CJ

I had this too in the summer. I actually found a DVLA doctor who could see me quite soon to the date and all they had to do was forward my paperwork but they refused!!!! Instead I had to wait 7 weeks for a medical with the originally appointed doctor!
So frustrating and I just waited but after joining this and reading others advice I would probably have complained and outlined my circumstances regarding work, taxis etc.
I sent my application off 27/1/20. My medical was 22/9/20!!!! Obviously covid played a bit part on this delay but what a slog it’s been!!!

It makes no sense and my mum made a comment about ‘bad service’ until I pointed out it’s not as though we can take our business elsewhere is it? They have us over a barrel, end of.

It makes no sense and my mum made a comment about ‘bad service’ until I pointed out it’s not as though we can take our business elsewhere is it? They have us over a barrel, end of.

Most organisations that deal with the public have a strong customer service attitude where everything is tailored around the needs and expectations of the customer. Unfortunately, the DVLA doesn't adopt this approach and just constantly upsets their clients.

CJ

I was banned 25 years ago ,How i am still classed as High risk i do not know

1) Date you applied for new licence: 21/09.20
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical:05/10/20
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:?
4) Date of Medical:? 20 october
5) Date of Results and Outcome:?
Passed and recived a full licence

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: I did not have a drink except for 4 cans for 21 days
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:
at least 8 can of beers a night for the past 25 years

I am going to phone the docs in 4 days time I will stop drinking from tomorrow,I do drive a forklift at work amongst other things like a 360 , dumper .roller,
I will update this when i take the Medical and such like.
I did have an operation last year and they took my Blood and never mention anything about drink

Thought this may help someone -
1) Date you applied for new licence: 29/1/20
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: March 2020. Just missed out because DVLA doctors stopped due to covid. Eventually got a letter saying I had to wait 12 weeks before I attempted to book another medical so received new letter 4/8/20
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: same day but by phone
4) Date of Medical:? 22/9/20
5) Date of Results and Outcome:
Passed (cdt 0.8) and Awarded a one year licence 27/10/20. Slight technical hitch in that they gave me a provisional licence because of a new married name mix up, names didn’t all link together. Actual licence awarded 13/11/20.

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: 21 months.
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: everyday and heavy hence becoming tee total

DVLA contacted my GP in April 2020 so before my medical. Lots of history of abuse and dependency on GP record dating back to 2012. Refused a licence March 2018. Had an Amber cdt and GP told them about my record. They write to me and asked me to be alcohol free for a year.
I wanted to share this because I had the odds stacked against me regarding previous application refusal and GP records. It goes to show that if you do as they ask and persevere it is possible to drive again. Its been a long and stressful process but I made it!
I wish you all luck and stick at it, you’ll get there

Last edited:
Is it worth keep ringing them? It's been 3 weeks since I last spoke to them...but I know all they'll say is 'we cant give any timescales' .... Surely there cant be that many people in the north east needing a medical?

Is it worth keep ringing them? It's been 3 weeks since I last spoke to them...but I know all they'll say is 'we cant give any timescales' .... Surely there cant be that many people in the north east needing a medical?
I think there's still a mega backlog I was due a medical around March/April and didn't get in until 30th September. The dvla doctor I saw was the only one who covered two local authorities in west Yorkshire with a population on nearly 750,000 folk and she was snowed under with medicals

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off