Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
It's not always the case with drink drivers I was revoked for merely telling a doctor I drank 30 units a week, no scare mongering facts I've been waiting for them to licence me since January. I had to abstain for 6 months for misuse which I've done and I'm still waiting 9 months now FACT and medical history investigations FACT... the dvla doctor passed me too with 0.8 but he's not the person who licenses me FACT ....

Thank you.... Re: DVLA asking for. Our Medical histories. Too many people are scaremongering . DVLA do NOT routinely ask for your medical history . They would only do so if there was a concern arising from the day of the medical exam or you have been banned. Previously.. I think there’s a lot of people on here with a lot of previous drink drive history who are giving people incorrect advice.

I'm 23, first time ban, was able to answer no to all questions at the medical, told them I don't drink at all since losing my licence, no red flags, doctor at the medical recommended a 10 year licence on the form and they still wrote to my GP.

It isn't scaremongering, 3 people on this site were going through the process at the same time as me and we kept in contact via messaging, 2 of our GP's were contacted and one was not. Thankfully I had been getting regular blood tests from my GP during my ban and he supported me fully getting my licence back.

I'm 23, first time ban, was able to answer no to all questions at the medical, told them I don't drink at all since losing my licence, no red flags, doctor at the medical recommended a 10 year licence on the form and they still wrote to my GP.

It isn't scaremongering, 3 people on this site were going through the process at the same time as me and we kept in contact via messaging, 2 of our GP's were contacted and one was not. Thankfully I had been getting regular blood tests from my GP during my ban and he supported me fully getting my licence back.
As you just said, 2/3 GPS were contacted, not all 3. It doesn’t follow that DVLA automatically contact your GP. It’s not a routine procedure. If it was, the dvla would state it as the next stage. I’ve spoken to several HRO people who never had dvla contact their GP and were issued their licence. Every case is individual and no one 100% knows if and why some people are selected for further investigation and some aren’t. Same as urine testing. Some people have to give a urine sample as well as blood . I wasn’t asked to give one, but someone I spoke to recently had to give one...no mention of drugs or medications were made on the day of the exam , no previous drug misuse, nothing like that. I was checked for signs of s of harm, yet have never had mental health issues and wasn’t asked at all about depression or antidepressants at the exam. Maybe not scaremongering as such, but misleading information. We an only pass on our own experience, it’s all variable and subjective ?[/QUOTE]

its a fact that if you are honest about drinking to your GP they will log it , if you are honest on the DR1 form, they will contact your GP

1) Date you applied for new licence: 14/03/2016

2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 24/03/2016

3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: No letter sent back, jsut called up from details on letter 29/03/2016

4) Date of Medical: 07/04/2016

5) Date of Results and Outcome: 13/04/2016 - Phoned DVLA everyday from this point, at this date they had received my blood reports but no paperwork. I sent an email with a signature attached to request my bloods to be sent to myself.
19/04/2016 - Received blood report in the post (still no sign of paperwork until 20/04/2016)
21/04/2016 - Phoned DVLA who informed me that my licence had been issued.

6) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: See below

7) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period: See below

Now I know there is a lot of debate on the medical front in regards to abstinence so I will share my own personal experience.
I am 22, female, around 60kg, 5'4, healthy, gym weekly, work etc. My drinking habits tend to be binges at the weekends. Sometimes around 2-3 bottles of wine in one sitting. I rarely drink in the week, maybe one or two if I go for dinner but it is mainly Friday & Saturday drinking. So, building up to the medical, I cut down a little from the start of February but I was still drinking a little. I had a big binge on 27/02/2016 and then drank again on 12/03/2016 (around 14-16 units), from this date I had one drink of one single measure 19/03/2016 - if you ignore the one drink on 19th that means I pretty much had just under 4 weeks alcohol free. I took no extra vitamins or anything like that. This gave me a CDT reading of 0.9%, answered no to all on questionnaire.

@Loulou321 can I ask if this was your first drink drive ban please?

Hello all

So when I was waiting for my license, I was hooked on this thread so I thought I would share my experience for anyone constantly checking for updates as I was.

I was banned in 2017 for a second offence, I wont bore you with the details, my life was different then.
I applied for my license around December 2019.
I got a letter to book my medical about 3-4 weeks later, I booked it for mid February, before coronavirus, I stopped drinking from new years day, it had only been 6 weeks since my last drink with one blip so I was nervous as I had been checking this forum and lots of online info and was worried that one instance would ruin my chances.
I'm not an alcoholic, I have a glass of wine with dinner and stopping drinking for this test was much easier than I thought it would be because I had a goal I was reaching for.
I bought alcohol free wine from marks and Spencer and 0% Heineken, it helped me to not drink when I was so stressed from work and worrying about this test. Its OK to be an adult and want a drink when you've had a stressful week, there is a lot of scaremongering on this forum as well as support, and it doesn't make you an alcoholic to use a drink at the end of the week to relax.
Anyway, my test was cancelled when I turned up, the doctor was sick, not because of coronavirus, and I had booked the morning off work and arranged a lift there, they hadn't contacted me to tell me it was cancelled and they were very rude, I was devastated to be honest.
I called the dvla and they said they would send me a letter with another doctor to attend, 25 miles away.
It took a week to get the letter and I managed to get an appointment for mid march, my partner had to take the day off to take me this doctor out in the sticks and it was the week before lock down.
When I turned up there, the doctor was nice but had clearly not done many medicals.
I was honest about my drinking, when he asked had I drank over 6 units in one session, I said yes as I had at Christmas, the rest of the questions were a no.
This is where I reference the scaremongering on this site, I have seen several posts mentioning how if you admit this, your licensw will be automatically declined. That's completely not true.
Anyway, for people worrying about being abstinent from alcohol, I drank a bottle of wine on 1st Feb while out for a friend's 30th, (blip previously mentioned) and I drank 2 weeks before the test, again around a bottle of wine, my result was 1.2.
I also took a medichecks test on 31st Jan, my result was 0.9. So if you're looking at other people's posts and worrying because you slipped up, please don't.
I got my licence back 1st May, it was a long wait between the medical.and the decision but please don't panic. Keep chasing them, I'm not sure what the status is right now with coronavirus and medicals, but I'm a key worker so I kept chasing via email.
Good luck everyone

Hello all

So when I was waiting for my license, I was hooked on this thread so I thought I would share my experience for anyone constantly checking for updates as I was.

I was banned in 2017 for a second offence, I wont bore you with the details, my life was different then.
I applied for my license around December 2019.
I got a letter to book my medical about 3-4 weeks later, I booked it for mid February, before coronavirus, I stopped drinking from new years day, it had only been 6 weeks since my last drink with one blip so I was nervous as I had been checking this forum and lots of online info and was worried that one instance would ruin my chances.
I'm not an alcoholic, I have a glass of wine with dinner and stopping drinking for this test was much easier than I thought it would be because I had a goal I was reaching for.
I bought alcohol free wine from marks and Spencer and 0% Heineken, it helped me to not drink when I was so stressed from work and worrying about this test. Its OK to be an adult and want a drink when you've had a stressful week, there is a lot of scaremongering on this forum as well as support, and it doesn't make you an alcoholic to use a drink at the end of the week to relax.
Anyway, my test was cancelled when I turned up, the doctor was sick, not because of coronavirus, and I had booked the morning off work and arranged a lift there, they hadn't contacted me to tell me it was cancelled and they were very rude, I was devastated to be honest.
I called the dvla and they said they would send me a letter with another doctor to attend, 25 miles away.
It took a week to get the letter and I managed to get an appointment for mid march, my partner had to take the day off to take me this doctor out in the sticks and it was the week before lock down.
When I turned up there, the doctor was nice but had clearly not done many medicals.
I was honest about my drinking, when he asked had I drank over 6 units in one session, I said yes as I had at Christmas, the rest of the questions were a no.
This is where I reference the scaremongering on this site, I have seen several posts mentioning how if you admit this, your licensw will be automatically declined. That's completely not true.
Anyway, for people worrying about being abstinent from alcohol, I drank a bottle of wine on 1st Feb while out for a friend's 30th, (blip previously mentioned) and I drank 2 weeks before the test, again around a bottle of wine, my result was 1.2.
I also took a medichecks test on 31st Jan, my result was 0.9. So if you're looking at other people's posts and worrying because you slipped up, please don't.
I got my licence back 1st May, it was a long wait between the medical.and the decision but please don't panic. Keep chasing them, I'm not sure what the status is right now with coronavirus and medicals, but I'm a key worker so I kept chasing via email.
Good luck everyone

The not drinking at all that is mentioned on this forum is only for those that the DVLA have already deemed to be alcohol dependant not everyone who does the medical. At the medical as long as you say you consume 14 units a week or less that's fine as it is the weekly reccomendation of units for an adult. Glad you got your licence back, most medicals have been cancelled since the start of March.

Hi. Just thought I'd document my experience so far on here. My ban doesn't actually end until 31st August, so wanted to get in as soon as I could so that it's all ready in time. Just a waiting game for me now ?

1) Date you applied for new licence: 3rd June 2020
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: Recieved a letter saying they're not carrying out medicals due to Covid. 20th June
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: I phoned Aveley Medical Centre on 22nd June and they requested my paperwork from DVLA. They phoned me back on 23rd to say they've recieved it, and to book me in.
4) Date of Medical: 2nd July. I also recieved a DVLA letter a few days before my medical, inviting me to make a medical appointment, and that my nearsst clinic is in fact the one I want to. (Doubt it is, as it was 77 miles from me!)
5) Date of Results and Outcome: Phoned today (9th July) for an update. Blood results recieved by DVLA and they can't tell me any more, or give any timescale, but they will contact me in due course.

Hi I'm new to this forum, does anyone know of a DVLA approved doctor in Bucks/ Berks/ London areas?
My disqualification period ended on 20 June and I sent in my application on 5 May.
Application is in the system at DVLA, but no communication yet re medical appointment. I phoned DVLA today and asked if they could give me names of doctors in my area but they said I had to wait for paperwork and could give me no timescales.
I was hoping to contact a doctor myself and get the doctor to contact DVLA to speed things up.
Thanks

Hi, can I ask did you abstain from drinking for the medical? and answer no to all the questions etc? thanks

I don't drink often anyway. My last drink before my medical (2nd July) was literally 2 cans of Carlsberg, about a month before. I don't have any health problems or dependencies. I was just honest and when he asked, said I don't drink often, and if I do it's usually just a couple.

I scored 2 outta 10 on the questionnaire. Was 13 days alcohol free and had a couple of nights where I’ve had 4beers 5% on each occasion over the last 6 weeks.

1) Date you applied for new licence:
10th march 2020 (ban ends 30th April)

2) Date when you got the letter to book medical:
16th March 2020

3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:
called day after, medical was booked for 5th April 2020 but cancelled due to covid. Rescheduled

4) Date of Medical:
9th July 2020, Aveley medical centre essex.

5) Date of Results and Outcome:
18th July 2020 Full 10 year licence no restrictions.

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:

Around 8 weeks

2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:
6 to 9 cans forsters per week.

Hello all,

i have a medical reference number from DVLA but just been told by DVLA that they are STILL not doing medicals. Please can someone tell me which doctors would do medical in Norfolk area?

got my letter to book my medical in which I had done 2 weeks ago. I didn't get the dr1v form to fill out, I am assuming I will do that when I get there. I will just be honest and hope for the best 👌

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off