Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi I'm new to this site & need some help or advise for the medical test

Am I correct in thinking it just the test for CDT or is all test for GGT , MCV , ALT AST as shown below

Also do they contact your doctor for medical records

GGT (Gamma GT) - Gamma-glutamyl transferase
MCV (Mean Cell Volume) - Increased red blood cell size
ALT - Alanine aminotransferase & AST - Aspartarte aminotransferase.
The Secretary of State's Honorary Medical Advisory Panel has now decided that use of the CDT (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin) biomarker will now be used as the sole test for assessing the harmful use of alcohol for high risk offenders.

CDT is all they care about now. Medical history will be if you've ever approached your GP with alcohol related issues.

This forum helped me through some difficult times so the least I can do is share my experience..

1) Date you applied for new licence:12/04/17
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical:02/05/17 (Letter dated 27/04)
3) Date when I called the surgery to book medical:

This was a bit of a nightmare. I first called a week after I received the letter. First of all the number on the letter was incorrect. I found the correct number and after being on hold for 10 mins I was told it was a different department that dealt with the DVLA medicals and that he would pass a message to his colleague to call me back. 4 days later I called again. Again I was on hold for 5-10 mins and again I was told someone would call me back. I stressed that this was the second time I had called. The receptionist told me that the department who deals with the DVLA medicals was extremely busy and that all she could do was pass on a message. A week later I called again… On hold again forever only to be told that I was through to the wrong number and that I need to call back and press option 1. I was pretty sure I had selected the correct option but I called back without losing my temper and guess what… I was on hold for 5 – 10mins. This was getting a bit silly now. So I got the same old “someone will call you back” routine. The next day I emailed DVLA to explain. Two hrs after I sent the email I had a phone call from the surgery with a date which was actually outside of the 6 week window which DVLA give you (6 weeks from the date of the letter). She explained that DVLA were OK with this.

4) Date of Medical:13[SUP]th[/SUP] June
5) Date of Results and Outcome: Full licence received in post 21[SUP]st[/SUP] June

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: 3 Days
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:

Since driving ban almost daily 8-12 units. Like a lot of people I have spoken to in the same situation, alcohol consumption had increased since ban. I had a dry November last year just to see how I would cope, then in March another 4 weeks with exception to one binge (16 units). After those 4 weeks I had a CDT test done online by Medichecks. The result was 0.7%.
After that I decided not to worry too much about abstaining for a long period and thought a couple of weeks would be fine, so I would have a few drinks (beer or cider, around 4-8 units) when I felt the need, maybe 2-3 times per week. I had another CDT test via Medichecks two weeks before medical. The result was 1.0%.
I take a one multivitamin, one iron and one cod liver oil per day (always have done). Exercise a couple of times a week and eat well. I have no idea why my CDT levels are so low but I have heard that Iron overload can have a negative impact on CDT levels. By negative, I mean give a lower reading. I would definitely recommend getting a personal CDT test done before you abstain to see where your levels are at.

I’ll also share my medical experience: on arrival (after 2hrs bus journey) I had to pay the receptionist the exact amount of cash. She gave me the questionnaire to fill in and seemed disappointed that I wasn’t equipped with my own pen. There were two other people completing the questionnaires in reception, struggling to write on their laps. I spotted a small table in the corner of the room which was home to a dozen or so out of date magazines, so I pulled a chair up to the tiny table and put the magazines on the floor. It reminded me of that scene from Men in Black!
I thought I was going to be there for hours as the letter stated I should allow one hr for the examination and there were obviously two other people in front of me. One of the other guys was called in just as I handed back the receptionists precious bic biro.
10 minutes later the first guy came out of the doctor’s room and left the building. The second guy went in shortly after and was also only 10 minutes. £98.50 for 10 minutes work. I am in the wrong game!
So my turn came. The doctor was very down to earth and did her best to make me feel at ease. She asked a few questions about alcohol consumption, along the same lines as the questionnaire. She asked my height, took my weight, blood pressure, blood sample, asked me to stand and put my arms and hands out straight to see if I had the shakes. Then checked my chest and back with her stethoscope. “All done”, she said. “It’s up to DVLA now”. I thanked her and left, feeling like I should have got a more thorough check for £98.50.

I wish everyone the best of luck. The last 18 months has been arduous and yet somewhat an enlightening experience. Onwards and upwards!

I applied for the medical in June and got a date in July about two weeks after sending in the D1.

4) Date of Medical:11 July 17
5) Date of Results and Outcome:
Full licence received in post 22 July

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:
56 days

I have been a heavy drinker for a while. I do not drink every day and, as I have worked offshore since being convicted and losing my license, I have been abstinent for about 56 days at a time with 28 days at home for 3 years.

When at home for the 56 days I would drink every other day or 1 out of 3. I have cut back on the vodka a lot but regularly (2 times or more a week in the 28 days at home) drink 8-10 double vodkas or 2 bottles of wine in a sitting. I was concerned about the CDT as it is retrospective.

I did a HUGE amount of research reading published medical research papers into the half life of CDT in varying subjects (certified alcoholic in patients undergoing rehab in the states) and other studies conducted throughout Europe over the last 10 years.
I deduced that the half life of CDT can vary from 15 days to as much as 24-6 days but it is very subject dependent.

For a heavy drinker most CDT levels normalise within 30 days, regardless of intake. There have however been a number of cases that do not conform to this norm.

As I say, I was abstinent for 56 days. The day prior to my abstinence I consumed probably 12-14 double vodkas in one sitting at an all day party.

Once I had received my full license back with no restrictions I wrote to the DVLA for my results.

My CDT was 0.7%!!!

It was a very worrying time but I am pleased it is over. I may now return to working onshore and get to spend more time with my family. I now carry an authentic electronic Breathalyzer in my car for the morning after to ensure that I am fit to drive and I NEVER drive even after 1 drink - it just isn't worth it.

Good luck to you all.

I will never be in a position again where I am driving with even 1 drink inside me. I'll walk or take a cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my medical tomorrow ???

Not really a drinker at all tbh, I’ve had probably 5 pints roughly 10-12 days ago, was just wondering if that’s gonna bring my CDT levels up at all??

Thanks for your time - I’ll post tomorrow and let you all know how it went ??

If that was a one off, and not what you drink daily then it should have no effect on the CDT result. Do let us know what happens. The considered wisdom from people who have already done the medical is to chase DVLA up for a result after 8-9 days and keep pestering for a result. If they have to refer to your GP then there could be a delay of several weeks though.

Right then so I went for medical today.

Can’t really remember dates when I sent off for license was about 8 weeks ago, received DVLA medical letter, came through about 3/4 weeks after I sent d1 form off, booked my medical for today which was the closest date possible.

£98.50 later, which by the way u have to pay before u can even book the appointment, luckily enough my wife was working about 10mins away from surgery so I sent her the funds an she paid an booked my appointment for me.

Appointment was 11:30, got there at 11 as traffic was really quiet, checked in with the receptionist, sat down in waiting area, 2 mins later my name was called, sat down with doctor and filled out questionnaires, how much do u drink, how often, do u smoke, take drugs, been in hospital through drink blaa blaa blaa, took blood pressure, lay on bed and listened to heart an poked around my stomach, took my blood then told me depending on the cdt results it could take anywhere from 4-6 weeks ??? hope it’s sooner as my ban is up on 3 weeks Friday.

Have you rang the DVLA yet ?? Doc said my blood will be sent to kings college lab in London to be tested, he’ll send today and they’ll receive it by Friday, then anything from 4-6 weeks, seen a few threads on here of people saying saying once attended there medical they had there license through there door after 10 days, which is a Brucey bonus if that happen, but not in your case ?? so I feel your pain pal

Just had word and they are contacting my gp. I called them and tried to get my results over the phone but no joy. I also ranted at the poor call centre lady ?
Any idea why they’d be writing? The woman on the phone said they do it for all cases but this clearly isn’t true given the time scales on this thread. I can’t see that my cdt came back abnormal (but who knows!). The only question I can see that they would be concerned about is the one regarding being in a car accident. I am devastated, I am supposed to driving again in 17 days

Sorry to hear that mate, the only reason I see that they contact your GP is when your CDT is over 2% sometimes even over 1% but that’s still not a fail so they should issue your license back. I asked my medical doctor about driving on me date an he said you can ask for a letter from the DVLA which will allow you to drive pending your medical results, might be worth ringing the DVLA medical team an enquiring about that ??

I’ve requested my lab results via email which take up to 40 days!!! I can’t see my cdt would be high to be honest. I don’t drink an awful lot and I’ve had my cdt done privately and it was fine. But I guess you never know do you?
I think it’s because I answered yes to the question about being in a road traffic accident form drink driving. ?

I’m just ready to put it all behind me now but I’ll probably still have it hanging over me past my license return date. Which is in 15 days!! I feel like o should be celebrating and not still being held hostage

Sorry to hear that mate, the only reason I see that they contact your GP is when your CDT is over 2% sometimes even over 1% but that’s still not a fail so they should issue your license back. I asked my medical doctor about driving on me date an he said you can ask for a letter from the DVLA which will allow you to drive pending your medical results, might be worth ringing the DVLA medical team an enquiring about that ??

The doctor is out of date with his advice! Being allowed to drive pending the result of your medical stopped being an option several years ago, so unless your conviction was prior to June 2013 this is not an option.

The nightmare is now over, medical was last Tuesday and just received my new little pink friend in the post. All the beat for everybody in the future ???? Adios people

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted on here but have seen various posts around the CDT Test.
I have had a yearly license for 2 years now and I am due to take my medical on the 27th November.

To cut a long story short I had a Bipolar relapse in the beginning of October. I have not drunk for probably about 3-4 years since quitting completely.
Anyway during this manic episode I made the horrible mistake of drinking over 3-4 days. Naturally I have not had anything since.

This was some binge. But since I have not drunk in such a long time and then abstaining again i suspect the CDT levels will be normal.

What does concern me though is obviously I have filled in the usual questionnaire prior to getting my appointment.

Anyway when the mental health crisis team came to see me once the booze had gone I raised my concerns about said appointment.
Their actual response was "you had a bipolar relapse" there is no need for DVLA to know. Now i have also seen my GP since as obviously they sent the discharge papers from hospital.
My hospital visit consisted of them detoxing me for 2 days and i was discharged on the 3rd after the Crisis Team deemed me fit that I was not going to take my own life.

So to that end I'm not sure what the hell to answer when i go for the medical. I have not seen my GP for over 5 years regarding anything surrounding alcohol.
Only my Bipolar where i have to get my blood pressure taken yearly due to the medication i am on can elevate it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

So my time has come. ?

Date applied for license - 1st September

Letter back - 25th September ( I think this took a while as there was some mix up with the alcohol awareness course provider letting the courts know about my reduction OR them telling them and the reduction not being applied. I had to make several calls to sort it out)

Date of medical - 18th Oct.

24th Oct - rang DVLA and they were waiting from paperwork from medical provider

31st Oct - rang again and they had received the paperwork that day. Informed me it can take a week for a decision to be made.

3rd Nov - Letter from DVLA informing me they are contacting gp for further enquiries. From then on I hassled the practice daily.

21st Nov - Ban officially ended. GP practice said they sent off paperwork that day.

Called DVLA every second day for updates and today they informed me I have had my full license issued today and t will be updated online by tomorrow. ?

I abstained for 19 days. Day before I abstained I had a binge of about ten units.

I am a weekend binger, rarely drink through the week (this last one has been an exception to that!! Very stressed!) My CDT results were 0.6%. I think they contacted my gp because I answered yes to the question about having an accident in my car.

What an 18 months it has been. I am so happy it’s over! Just gonna sort out insurance tomorrow then hopefully on the road!!! Thank you to all who post here, it’s a real comfort through a horrid time.

I'm hoping this thread can become a sticky and be the one stop place to compare peoples experiences. It can be difficult as it seems (quite understandably) that people don't come back on here once they have got their licences back but I would appreciate anyone who does to please fill in the following below and post:

1) Date you applied for new licence: April 2015
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical:
Shortly after
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:
Shortly after that
4) Date of Medical:
Within three weeks of that
5) Date of Results and Outcome:
Two weeks after that and raised CDT, no licence

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:
6 months
Seldom drank alcohol

I'm hoping this thread can become a sticky and be the one stop place to compare peoples experiences. It can be difficult as it seems (quite understandably) that people don't come back on here once they have got their licences back but I would appreciate anyone who does to please fill in the following below and post:

1) Date you applied for new licence: 21 st October 2017
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 2nd November 2017
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical: Doctor's details were on the letter so I called and booked for 7th December. Abstained from drinking from 22nd October then drank a whole bottle one week before medical so rebooked for 13th December but drank again the weekend before. Was unable to rebook so had to withdraw. Immediately applied for D1 form again and got a letter from them on 22nd December and booked for 5th February. Went to appointment and the Doctor did not turn up. DVLA extended my time. Booked for 26th Feb but drank and rebooked for 19th March.
4) Date of Medical: 19th March
5) Date of Results and Outcome: 29th March . Full licence issued 11 days for the whole process to be completed.

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date: Four clear days of no wine
At least one bottle of wine every fortnight.

Hi All,

I need some assistance as I getting worried!

I got done for drink driving Sept 2016 blew 90 so was classed as a HRO, completed my medical to get my license back on 2nd May.

I have just received a letter from the DVLA stating I now need to go for another medical but this time a Urine test as I told the doctor I used cannabis in March.

As I have already completed a medical (Blood Sample) I am not sure why they are asking me now to complete another medical Urine sample when the DVLA has no legal limits for THC in Urine.

So why am I being asked to do this medical, how would they determine what to do next? Also they have my blood sample so why are they able not to just use that for a drug test?

Any advice would be grateful or if this has happened to anybody please let me know!

Thanks!!

They want a urine sample because cannabis use is best detected that way.
It can show cannabis use during the past 28-35 days so they are checking to see if you were honest about when you last used it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off