Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Good luck.
After 3 years I failed my urine test. Last week.
Went to a party on the friday night and did a line rather than drink.
I was thinking my test on the monday was for alcohol, you know since id been caught drink deiving 3 years ago. But no, because id admitted to smoking weed in 2019 they decided to give me a urine drug test. I missed that on the letter.
So even though my test was 3 days later, o tested positive for coke. They told me they think I am dependant on drugs and want me to abstain from drugs and alcohol for 1 year (and continue to abstain there after) which means they will probably spot test me now and again.
So angry as ive been clran of everything for 2 years.
I can re apply in 8 months. And i have to somehow vuild some evidence of sobriety for them to look at in 8 months. Quarterly blood tests oerhaps with my gp? No idea.
Im such a fool for doing that line. And even more of a fool for not walking out the clinic when they told me it was a drug teat not an alcohol test. (I just went with it thinking 3 days was ok. Sigh!
Cant see how I can disupte this but i will ask for a re test as it will be clean now. Id not then a year wait it is. Cant see me getting away with this in court. Anyone know anyone who has disputed a drug test and won?

just got out my medica.
this is the events

caught DD august 18.. crashed and blew 131
court 9th jan 19
3 year ban reduced to 30 months with course
classed as dependant as binge drinked at weekends!
went to medical march last year... wasnt on the forum so didnt know i had to abstain for a year
admitted having a few beers occasionally
banned for another year

just got out my medical this morning
5 minutes from going in to getting out
asked for height, weight, when last drink was, and if id had a crash due to DD, and also about if im on any medication( im on citalopram)
took bloods
DONE

i asked at the end how the questionaire was and she said theres nothing that will stop me getting my licence back, its down to the CDT score

my question is... i keep reading that you have to prove your abstinance by LFT etc... who asks for this? the dvla or the medical doctor? i phoned dvla a month ago and she said i didnt need to and my doctor said shed never heard of having to do that either?

ANY ADVICE GUYS??

what timescale are the results from dvla medical department coming back at now??
Hi Leebo,
I'm pretty sure that women you spoke to at the dvla is wrong, you have to log your last alcoholic drink date with your gp then have regular lft's done with your gp every 3 or 4 months to prove you haven't been drinking, then the dvla calls your doctor to check your bloods are clear.
The doctor you spoke to just has probably never dealt with a situation like this before.
I'd call the dvla again if I were you, I hope you don't have to start all over again mate 🤞

Hi all
Just received a letter from the DVLA informing me they’ve contacted my doctor for further information. Does this mean that I’ve passed the CDT aspect of things?

Hi all
Just received a letter from the DVLA informing me they’ve contacted my doctor for further information. Does this mean that I’ve passed the CDT aspect of things?
I'm wondering this too. Got my letter through the door this morning saying they've also contacted my GP. Looks like me and you are on a very similar timeline!

Had my medical on the 15th. Here's how it went..........

Health care centre in Blackpool, massive building. DVLA medicals were on the top floor, there was a couple of other people in the waiting area but they seemed to be there for other matters. Spoke to the lady on reception who had my questionnaire already out and waiting for me. She told me to go sit down and get it filled in. I did that and gave her her pen back, and she said that the Dr knew I was here and to just take a seat. About 10mins later the Dr came out and called my name. He didn't sound overly happy, so I prepared myself for a tough time. He walked me to his office and sat me down and was absolutely fine. He took my questionnaire from me and scanned over it. He then asked me if I had tattoos or any other visible marks/scars. I can only assume this was to ensure that I hadn't asked a mate to do the medical on my behalf. He then measured my height and my weight. He then asked me to lie on his trolley and poked around my abdomen. Didn't have to get undressed at all. He listened to my heart while he did this. Once he'd done that he started talking about football and what I did for a job! Didn't ask me a single thing from the questionnaire. There wasn't a single thing he asked me about alcohol, it was more about how rubbish Man Utd are at the moment!!!! Felt like I was chatting to a lad from work, it was very relaxed. Took my bloods and sent me on my way!! 10mins, max. Was very easy.

I answerd Yes to dependancy within the last 6yrs and Yes to alcohol causing me problems in the last 6yrs (lost my job in 2016). No to everything else.

Just got to wait and see now.

Had my medical on the 15th. Here's how it went..........

Health care centre in Blackpool, massive building. DVLA medicals were on the top floor, there was a couple of other people in the waiting area but they seemed to be there for other matters. Spoke to the lady on reception who had my questionnaire already out and waiting for me. She told me to go sit down and get it filled in. I did that and gave her her pen back, and she said that the Dr knew I was here and to just take a seat. About 10mins later the Dr came out and called my name. He didn't sound overly happy, so I prepared myself for a tough time. He walked me to his office and sat me down and was absolutely fine. He took my questionnaire from me and scanned over it. He then asked me if I had tattoos or any other visible marks/scars. I can only assume this was to ensure that I hadn't asked a mate to do the medical on my behalf. He then measured my height and my weight. He then asked me to lie on his trolley and poked around my abdomen. Didn't have to get undressed at all. He listened to my heart while he did this. Once he'd done that he started talking about football and what I did for a job! Didn't ask me a single thing from the questionnaire. There wasn't a single thing he asked me about alcohol, it was more about how rubbish Man Utd are at the moment!!!! Felt like I was chatting to a lad from work, it was very relaxed. Took my bloods and sent me on my way!! 10mins, max. Was very easy.

I answerd Yes to dependancy within the last 6yrs and Yes to alcohol causing me problems in the last 6yrs (lost my job in 2016). No to everything else.

Just got to wait and see now.
Without doubt the dvla will write to your own Gp if you pass the CDT count. Good luck (y)

Without doubt the dvla will write to your own Gp if you pass the CDT count. Good luck (y)

This time around the DVLA have wrote to my own doctor BEFORE the medical & CDT. I'm wondering if that decision is because I am not paying for the privilege of the DVLA medical as I have been back legally driving since my ban ended at the end of 2020?

I also suspect this reversal in the process is done with a view to determine whether you in fact do need to attend a further DVLA medical if your GP gives you a glowering reference. I'm thinking in my case I will have to do a second medical before I get my next driving licence.

CJ

This time around the DVLA have wrote to my own doctor BEFORE the medical & CDT. I'm wondering if that decision is because I am not paying for the privilege of the DVLA medical as I have been back legally driving since my ban ended at the end of 2020?

I also suspect this reversal in the process is done with a view to determine whether you in fact do need to attend a further DVLA medical if your GP gives you a glowering reference. I'm thinking in my case I will have to do a second medical before I get my next driving licence.

CJ
Hi I had my first medical for bloods in June. A week later GP contacted. As was I with a DG1 form, due to dependency in 2020.
Then the end of July called dvla who told me a letter was on its way to me to book a urine test medical. I didn’t wait for the letter as I knew it was at the same place I went to before. Done piss test medical last Monday 8th August.
Called dvla yesterday & they have the results which I know are clean. My CDT score was 0.9% so happy days. My GP called me to fill in the forms he was sent & I scored low on those too.
So now it’s a waiting game til they make a decision!! Been checking my licence online everyday!! The ban was easy. The medical part once the ban was over is when the fun & games begin 🤦
Good luck to all those who are in the queue!! Fingers crossed for you all too 🤞

My question is…if they contact your own doctor after a medical, does that mean the cdt reading was satisfactory? If someone could please answer this I’d be very grateful x

My question is…if they contact your own doctor after a medical, does that mean the cdt reading was satisfactory? If someone could please answer this I’d be very grateful x
I’m presuming so? Not 100% sure though.
I’m waiting for dvla to scan my doctors stuff onto the system, currently been 13 working days since my doctor posted it off to them and the dvla keep fobbing me off saying still hasn’t been scanned onto the system ( they say it takes 10 working days but it’s been 13 now and still nothing)
I start a new job in a week, my ban ended July 24th, and then once the information from the doctors gets scanned it then goes to the medical team to ‘ make a decision’. I’m so in limbo with all of this now!

I’m waiting for dvla to scan my doctors stuff onto the system, currently been 13 working days since my doctor posted it off to them and the dvla keep fobbing me off saying still hasn’t been scanned onto the system ( they say it takes 10 working days but it’s been 13 now and still nothing)
I start a new job in a week, my ban ended July 24th, and then once the information from the doctors gets scanned it then goes to the medical team to ‘ make a decision’. I’m so in limbo with all of this now!
Completely understand. Even the letter they send isn’t clear. Just that in order to progress with my licence application they need further details from my doctor and they’ve received my results. After they’ve received information from my doctor then a medical advisor will look through it all and assess my fitness to drive. Just wish they’d be a little more straight in their wording rather than make people presume what they mean 🤦‍♀️

Are you at the end of a ban?

As I've said - I've served one year back on the road and I'm now going through this process a second time to renew my licence. The DVLA have actually contacted my GP first on this occasion.

To answer your question - no - if the CDT score was not satisfactory it isn't necessarily a straight fail. The DVLA might want to clarify if you have any underlining health issues that affect the CDT rating.

There are people who sadly have dodgy livers through other underlining health issues (non drug or alcohol related) that may require further investigation.

CJ

As I've said - I've served one year back on the road and I'm now going through this process a second time to renew my licence. The DVLA have actually contacted my GP first on this occasion.

To answer your question - no - if the CDT score was not satisfactory it isn't necessarily a straight fail. The DVLA might want to clarify if you have any underlining health issues that affect the CDT rating.

There are people who sadly have dodgy livers through other underlining health issues (non drug or alcohol related) that may require further investigation.

CJ
Hi. One thing that seems to consistently emerge from our collective experience, is that what the DVLA do at times appears to be rather random.
After my HRO medical at the end of my ban, my GP was contacted ( my cdt was 0.3 )
The next DVLA medical was a medical one, and my GP was written to before this.
I advise anyone to speak to their GP and go through the form sent to the GP with them. It’s the best way of ensuring that what your GP says is accurately reflected in our own declaration, the forms broadly mirror one another.
I have seen many posts on here about declaring mental health issues. I was actually on Citalopram, but didn’t really think this was a ‘ mental health issue ‘ so never mentioned it. My GP obviously knew I was on the medication. I hadn’t deliberately concealed it, just to say it never emerged as an issue later on.
I do think where possible having a GP on side can only be an advantage
Good luck everyone!

CJ
Yes, my ban ends on the 23rd of August. Had an 18 month ban, breath reading 89. No alcohol related stuff on my gp records apart from mental health issues

Yeah, I've pretty much known this from the start. I've logged my last drink date with him as the 31st May 2020 and had an LFT test done with him in April 2022. Given that my medical was 2 days ago and included the CDT test, I'm hoping that this will be enough to show the DVLA that I've been behaving myself!

Wondering if anyone has included there medical file in with the original medical form? I have psych reports and lfts and all medications for 6 years all favorable. Citilopram ended March 2021 but in all honesty it was on repeat prescription and I hadn't been taking it for well over a year before I had it taken off repeat. Just wondering if this information may answer questions for them and may not need to contact gp? Long shot I guess. Just wondered if anyone had actually done that?

I would imagine it's definitely within the parameters of passing because of it was too high they would instantly refuse you and want abstinence proof. I've no clue what my result was but they contacted my gp probably because i ticked yes to mental health. I just can't see them bothering going that far ifv your cdt was tòo high

Hi. One thing that seems to consistently emerge from our collective experience, is that what the DVLA do at times appears to be rather random.
After my HRO medical at the end of my ban, my GP was contacted ( my cdt was 0.3 )
The next DVLA medical was a medical one, and my GP was written to before this.
I advise anyone to speak to their GP and go through the form sent to the GP with them. It’s the best way of ensuring that what your GP says is accurately reflected in our own declaration, the forms broadly mirror one another.
I have seen many posts on here about declaring mental health issues. I was actually on Citalopram, but didn’t really think this was a ‘ mental health issue ‘ so never mentioned it. My GP obviously knew I was on the medication. I hadn’t deliberately concealed it, just to say it never emerged as an issue later on.
I do think where possible having a GP on side can only be an advantage
Good luck everyone!

Declaring a mental health issue is a double edge sword if you have or had documented problems with alcohol.

A alcohol addiction is in itself a mental health issue and alcohol misuse or dependency leads to things like depression and anxiety which are both mental health related. I have never actually sufferered from 'dry' depression.

I would always urge anyone completing the DVLA medical questionnaire to at least acknowledge their mental health if they have had problems with alcohol that has affected them.

The DVLA seem to enjoy trying to catch people out and refuse licences if they can identify any inconsistences in the respective medical forms.

CJ

Declaring a mental health issue is a double edge sword if you have or had documented problems with alcohol.

A alcohol addiction is in itself a mental health issue and alcohol misuse or dependency leads to things like depression and anxiety which are both mental health related. I have never actually sufferered from 'dry' depression.

I would always urge anyone completing the DVLA medical questionnaire to at least acknowledge their mental health if they have had problems with alcohol that has affected them.

The DVLA seem to enjoy trying to catch people out and refuse licences if they can identify any inconsistences in the respective medical forms.

CJ
Totally agree. I am on 2 lots of medication for depression and anxiety. One is amitripyline which causes sleepiness. I was anxious that that may go against me driving. Also I only went back on antidepressants 3 days after my arrest so it would appear linked to alcohol. Although the reason I drunk wasn't dependency it was because I was having a nervous breakdown which ultimately involved me having to have 4 months off work. I had pre warned my gp that a letter from dvla may be sent and so she read to me what she would put in response to my depression and my drinking. I can't emphasise enough how important it is that you discuss what is put in the form by your gp

Yes. If you 'fail' your CDT, the DVLA write to you and tell you this.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off