HRO and license renewal - important info from DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance

Thechief5

I was a HRO, banned in 2014. I was issued a 12 month license last year, which is due to expire on 15th May. Having read section 88 I was unsure whether I could continue driving after the license expires, as it says you cannot if you are a HRO banned after 2013. Many pieces of advice on here said it was tough luck, and I couldn't drive after 15th May. This would mean losing my job, livelihood etc....
Having tried to get confirmation from a solicitor and my MP, I decided to email the DVLA direct, stating my job (civil engineer), and although not a 'key worker', I am expected back to work in the next few weeks.
Anyway, I received a call this morning from the DVLA, who have categorically confirmed that I AM able to drive under section 88 whilst medical checks are ongoing. Despite being a HRO in 2014, because I have been issued with a license, I now fall into the general medical 'pile' rather than the HRO one. I only have to be confident that my GP would not express concerns about me driving (which I am). A lot of 'experts' on here are under the false impression that the term HRO follows you, even after you have been granted another license. This is not the case.

Wanted to point this out as there is so much inconsistency around. I know it wont help many people, but for those that were HROs and are coming to the end of a temporary license, rest assured you can carry on driving (providing you are not aware of a reason why you shouldn't, and you meet all the section 88 criteria). If you are a HRO coming to the end of a ban, unfortunately you cannot. As Covid-19 continues to disrupt the application process, I am anticipating that many more people will be in the position I am in, so hope this both clarifies and reassures people.

Have posted before that the DVA NI gave me the same advice you have been given a few months ago. Which was backed up by my GP and solicitor. I have it in writing from the DVA that I am a medical renewal not a HRO renewal.

My licence doesn't run out for another 2 years but I now have the letter from the DVA, my GP and my Solicitor in the glove box with my owners manual should the need for it ever arise.

This is a very good idea. The DVLA have assured me that the conversation has been added to my case, and that the calls are recorded. However, I think I will ask them for confirmation either via email or post just to be extra extra careful!

This is a very good idea. The DVLA have assured me that the conversation has been added to my case, and that the calls are recorded. However, I think I will ask them for confirmation either via email or post just to be extra extra careful!

I have printed off the section 88 advice and an email from my doctor stating I am fit to drive and keep them in my glove box just in case.

God knows how long it will be before we receive a new licence, hopefully mine will be a 10 year, I’ve just completed my 3 x 1 year licences that they said I had to do after my ban ended.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off