How to prove abstinence to Dvla?

Convicted Driver Insurance

JJ86

Hi,
I'll give you a brief outline of my situation to see if anyone can help?
I had to declare mental health issues to the dvla in August 2019,they revoked my license until I was stable for 3 months, so I was issued a 1 year license in Nov 19, it's up for renewal in November 2020 but it has been extended to Oct 21 due to covid.
This time round they have sent a mental health questionnaire and a DR1, why have they sent this?
I was convicted of drink driving in 2003 but didn't have any alcohol issues at the time, unfortunately I became dependant on alcohol 9 years ago and had a community detox which was successful, I did not drink for 8 years until March 2019 when I had a couple of drinks over a few days but not to excess which is in my records.
My question is that the DR1 says before I reapply which will be Oct 21 I should make sure I can show I have abstained for 12 months which is fine as my last drink was March 19,I've rung my gp to ask if they can do tests to prove my abstinence for the next 12 months, they said they would do a liver function test now and one in 6 months, but I'm worried this won't be enough evidence for the DVLA, I'm considering getting private CDT tests done every 6-8 weeks, does anyone know if the Dvla accept private cdt tests?
Any help appreciated Thankss

Hi,
I had to declare mental health issues to the dvla in August 2019,they revoked my license until I was stable for 3 months, so I was issued a 1 year license in Nov 19, it's up for renewal in November 2020 but it has been extended to Oct 21 due to covid.
This time round they have sent a mental health questionnaire and a DR1, why have they sent this?
I was convicted of drink driving in 2003 but didn't have any alcohol issues at the time, unfortunately I became dependant on alcohol 9 years ago and had a community detox which was successful, I did not drink for 8 years until March 2019 when I had a couple of drinks over a few days but not to excess which is in my records.
My question is that the DR1 says before I reapply which will be Oct 21 I should make sure I can show I have abstained for 12 months which is fine as my last drink was March 19,I've rung my gp to ask if they can do tests to prove my abstinence for the next 12 months, they said they would do a liver function test now and one in 6 months, but I'm worried this won't be enough evidence for the DVLA, I'm considering getting private CDT tests done every 6-8 weeks, does anyone know if the Dvla accept private cdt tests?
Dozens of posts asking the same question week in week out and if you do a little reading all the info is available for you

does anyone know if the Dvla accept private cdt tests?

I was wondering about this too, as looking through this site, GP's only offer liver function tests and the DVLA only accept CDT tests.... and CDT tests are approx £90 a time? it would turn out to be a very expensive year forking out for private CDT's every 6 weeks!

I was wondering about this too, as looking through this site, GP's only offer liver function tests and the DVLA only accept CDT tests.... and CDT tests are approx £90 a time? it would turn out to be a very expensive year forking out for private CDT's every 6 weeks!
They do not accept private tests.

DVLA only use CDT tests for their own medical tear. They do consider LFT tests via your GP when proving abstenance.

DVLA only use CDT tests for their own medical tear. They do consider LFT tests via your GP when proving abstenance.
Thank you for your reply, I've spoken with my gp this morning and they have agreed to do an LFT next week and possibly one in 6 months, I'm concerned that only 2 won't be sufficient for the dvla though.

Hi,

I think you have answered your own question about “why a DR1?” A lot of perple with mental health issues, particulary depression, turn to alcohol in the hope it will make them feel better (It won’t because alcohol is a depressant drug) that is why DVLA ask about alcohol as well.
private CDT tests are no good as regards DVLA, because you could have got anyone to take the test for you. That is why you should visit your GP for periodic LFT tests. - your GP will not do CDT tests for you.

I think you have answered your own question about “why a DR1?” A lot of perple with mental health issues, particulary depression, turn to alcohol in the hope it will make them feel better (It won’t because alcohol is a depressant drug) that is why DVLA ask about alcohol as well.
private CDT tests are no good as regards DVLA, because you could have got anyone to take the test for you. That is why you should visit your GP for periodic LFT tests. - your GP will not do CDT tests for you.
I was just confused as there was no DR1 form last year so came as a bit of a surprise, my gp has said that she will do an LFT next week and another in 6 months, do you think this will be sufficient, I've read of other peoples Gp's doing tests every 6 weeks which in my opinion would be better because there's shorter time gaps and there can't be any discrepancy of the dvla saying I could have been drinking in between tests.
I'm completely teetotal so I'm not worried about getting tests, I'm worried about the dvla saying 2 LFTs isn't enough😟

You will get a low CDT result so 2 LFT should be OK, they show a longer trend for alcohol (but also possibly other liver problems)

You will get a low CDT result so 2 LFT should be OK, they show a longer trend for alcohol (but also possibly other liver problems)
I was having regular blood tests up until last year including LFTs due to being on an immunosuppressive injection for a skin condition and I believe my liver was fine then, so fingers crossed nothing has changed since then, thank you for your advice it's much appreciated🙂

I was having regular blood tests up until last year including LFTs due to being on an immunosuppressive injection for a skin condition and I believe my liver was fine then, so fingers crossed nothing has changed since then, thank you for your advice it's much appreciated🙂
Were you on Stelara by any chance?

No humira(adalimumab), what's Stelara?
I was Humira before but I’m now on Stelara injection every 12 weeks for long-standing psoriasis. I get LFTs done every 12 weeks but was told Stelara can raise LFTs. If so, hope this will all be understood and allowances made when I do my medical next year.

Good afternoon Price,
I need a bit more info on this if possible, I've managed to get an LFT GGT every 3 months now, had my first one last week and results are back all normal as expected, I'm on a Facebook group and there's someone on there that got they're gp to do bloods every 6 weeks to check blood alcohol levels, the person doesn't know the name of the tests though, I'm still worried that even with LFTs and GGTs every 3 months that the dvla will say its not sufficient evidence of abstinence, am I worrying too much or should I be asking my gp to do blood alcohol test?
Kind regards John

It is very hard to get your GP to do a CDT test, in fact quite a few say they have never heard of it!
3 monthly LFT’s should be fine for DVLA purposes.

It is very hard to get your GP to do a CDT test, in fact quite a few say they have never heard of it!
3 monthly LFT’s should be fine for DVLA purposes.
I agree, when I mentioned a cdt test my gp didn't know what it was, if they won't accept the 3 monthly LFTs, I don't know what else I can do.

From what people have posted on here, and got their licences back, DVLA DO accept 3 monthly LFT’s.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off