How much should I pay for a solicitor for drink driving?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I went with the first duty solicitor assigned to me and she was really not helpful at all. She tried to ask for an adjournment but didn’t put my case across at all and it was denied. I then said to her afterwards I felt like she didn’t really put any effort in to get the points across why I deserved an adjournment and she proceeded to refuse to respresent me. She then tried to get the other duty solicitor to represent me but he refused. Lastly a solicitor that was attending court said he would represent me, had a chat with me regarding the potential outcomes, told me the best course of action and then we agreed - all in 10 minutes. Then during the hearing he really made an exceptional effort to defend me and really push my side of the story in his closing speech. Thanks to this amazing guy I received the minimum penalty which was an amazing result. I can’t thank him enough.

Due to this I would say if you’re not happy with the first duty solicitor, make it known and find someone that really has your best interests at hand.

I paid around £450-500 +VAT I think for a local one who knew the court.

Upside was he was able to keep me out of the press, which given my job title at the time they’d have been all over. Also managed to get me out of doing community service, which I really thought I was looking at.

Downside was obviously the cost, plus I’ll never know if a duty solicitor would have done better. But some things you’ll never know.

So each to their own on this one. In the main, if it’s a ‘minor’ DUI incursion I’d say the DS would usually be fine. In my case I desperately wanted to avoid a community order as it would have played havoc trying to sustain my job (which I ultimately lost anyway, but strung out a few more months at least) but more importantly being able to see my children.

Upside was he was able to keep me out of the press, which given my job title at the time they’d have been all over. Also managed to get me out of doing community service, which I really thought I was looking at.

Downside was obviously the cost, plus I’ll never know if a duty solicitor would have done better. But some things you’ll never know.

So each to their own on this one. In the main, if it’s a ‘minor’ DUI incursion I’d say the DS would usually be fine. In my case I desperately wanted to avoid a community order as it would have played havoc trying to sustain my job (which I ultimately lost anyway, but strung out a few more months at least) but more importantly being able to see my children.
How did he manage to 'keep you out of the press?' Unless naming you would have been against Public Interest, the press, if they attend court that day, have the right to name and shame convicted drivers.

I was lucky in that on my 2 appearances, I did not make the local newspapers, but it wasn't through anything my lawyer did, just dumb luck.

How did he manage to 'keep you out of the press?' Unless naming you would have been against Public Interest, the press, if they attend court that day, have the right to name and shame convicted drivers.

I was lucky in that on my 2 appearances, I did not make the local newspapers, but it wasn't through anything my lawyer did, just dumb luck.

Don’t honestly know. I didn’t stop to really enquire, beyond turning up and going in when he told me to and to avoid the times he said they were likely to be there.

Beyond that can’t really elaborate.

I paid £1500, and regret that. Wish I’d gone with the duty solicitor. I honestly don’t think my solicitor said more than 30 words in court over my 2 court dates. And I don’t think having my own solicitor made any difference to the outcome.
If I were you, I’d try to save my money and use the duty solicitor.
Hi is the duty solicitor always available please; do you know ?

How did the brief keep you out of press?

Just to update: I chose to go with the duty solicitor. Although I was concerned about length of ban, my main worry was the financial side of things, and having weighed up the maximum fine I would get with the cost of a solicitor it was completely worth taking a chance (I was not facing prison etc).

Duty solicitor on the day was brilliant, they spoke about my career history, academic history, family and partner support, remorse, lack of previous convictions, character etc. Really glad I chose that option because, whilst it wouldn’t have been worth it to me to pay for a solicitor, on the day I was just falling apart and couldn’t have spoken for myself.

I got 17 months (reduced to 13 with course which was brilliant btw, I think it should be a requirement for everyone) and a band C fine.

Would advise anyone who is not facing more severe sentencing to go for duty solicitor. In Manchester they have multiple rooms within the court house, I don’t know what it’s like anywhere else and I could be wrong so don’t rely on this information, but it appeared as though they had a duty solicitor solely for that room and I assume different ones for other rooms, so they were readily available.

How much should I expect to pay for a solicitor? From what I can see on here people tend to pay around £200 - £500, is that about right? Because all the ones I can find seem to charge flat rates starting from £1500+++
I am in Manchester, if anybody has any recommendations I’d really appreciate it!
As already posted. Use the Duty solicitor. The law is the law, no amount if money wasted will get you a different outcome and may infact erk some judges or sheriff's. Save your money is my advice.

I paid £1500 - as others have stated waste of time. I know someone who was much more over who received similar ban. Wish I hadn’t paid. Only positive is they helped me get my ducks in a row and I felt more secure on the day.

How much should I expect to pay for a solicitor? From what I can see on here people tend to pay around £200 - £500, is that about right? Because all the ones I can find seem to charge flat rates starting from £1500+++
I am in Manchester, if anybody has any recommendations I’d really appreciate it!
dont bother, they fill you with bull and its really expensive. they tell you about calibration machines, lack of evidence etc. i was stupid enough to believe it and they did nothing

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off