How much should I pay for a solicitor for drink driving?

Convicted Driver Insurance

StupidLauren

How much should I expect to pay for a solicitor? From what I can see on here people tend to pay around £200 - £500, is that about right? Because all the ones I can find seem to charge flat rates starting from £1500+++
I am in Manchester, if anybody has any recommendations I’d really appreciate it!

I went with the duty solicitor too from the night I was charged but I qualified for legal aid which covered his fees for an appointment before court and then the court hearing…might be worth looking into?

I paid £1500, and regret that. Wish I’d gone with the duty solicitor. I honestly don’t think my solicitor said more than 30 words in court over my 2 court dates. And I don’t think having my own solicitor made any difference to the outcome.
If I were you, I’d try to save my money and use the duty solicitor.

Save your money use the duty solicitor
If you intend pleading guilty (as 99% of people will,) I actually wonder if there is any point in using a solicitor. All they do is repeat that you have shown great remorse and present your character reference to the judge.

You will be sentenced within the guidelines depending on the mood that day of the Magistrate (or Sherrif in Scotland.)

I used a lawyer for both my appearances and I had to prompt them to get them to ask the Sherrif that I be given the opportunity to attend the Drink Driving Awareness course which reduces your sentence by 25%.

So unless you have injured or killed someone, caused a massive amount of damage to other vehicles to are incredibly uncomfortable speaking in front of groups of strangers, I would just represent myself if, God forbid, there should ever be a 3rd time.

If you are pleading guilty and not trying to get sentenced to the bracket below (which is rare, in any case) then save your money and spend it on the DD awareness course and some public transport costs instead.

I paid for a solicitor and although in some respects it may have been a waste of money in many people's eyes, to me it was good to have someone in my corner as I had no idea what to do or expect.

If i recall I was Band C (blew 76), and the prosecuting solicitor was reading out the Band D conditions for what they were seeking. I remember thinking that didn't sound right but I'm not sure I would of had the gumption to confidently say anything or question it. Thankfully my solicitor jumped right on it, and the magistrate didn't seem very impressed with the prosecutor.

Not that I intended to do it again but now I know maybe I would use the duty solicitor but I guess you run the risk of them not being available.

Personaly though, for the peace of mind it gave me I still consider it was the right thing .... for me

If you intend pleading guilty (as 99% of people will,) I actually wonder if there is any point in using a solicitor. All they do is repeat that you have shown great remorse and present your character reference to the judge.

You will be sentenced within the guidelines depending on the mood that day of the Magistrate (or Sherrif in Scotland.)

I used a lawyer for both my appearances and I had to prompt them to get them to ask the Sherrif that I be given the opportunity to attend the Drink Driving Awareness course which reduces your sentence by 25%.

So unless you have injured or killed someone, caused a massive amount of damage to other vehicles to are incredibly uncomfortable speaking in front of groups of strangers, I would just represent myself if, God forbid, there should ever be a 3rd time.
I’ve seen character references mentioned a few times on the forum - are these essential, and who should provide them?

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will go with the duty solicitor. I blew 85 so I likely won’t get any less than 22 months either way as far as I understand. I made a stupid decision one day and it’s going to have a massive impact on my life, but thankfully my job is safe, my family are supportive and luckily nobody was hurt.

I’ve seen character references mentioned a few times on the forum - are these essential, and who should provide them?

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will go with the duty solicitor. I blew 85 so I likely won’t get any less than 22 months either way as far as I understand. I made a stupid decision one day and it’s going to have a massive impact on my life, but thankfully my job is safe, my family are supportive and luckily nobody was hurt.
I'm doing tbe same I have to travel to Dorset from Kent as the offence took place there so I'm kind of sorted I've got a character reference from my manager a friend and a letter from the doctor I blew 80 so very similar to yours I have court on the 23rd

I went to court straight from Police custody so had no time to do anything.

Other than showing it was out of character, I'm not sure how useful they are. I doubt they will reduce your ban.

I'm in Scotland, blew 124 and received a 20 month ban the first time.

how did it go- i blew similar but had a car accident. nobody was hurt

have you been yet? how did it go x

I went with the first duty solicitor assigned to me and she was really not helpful at all. She tried to ask for an adjournment but didn’t put my case across at all and it was denied. I then said to her afterwards I felt like she didn’t really put any effort in to get the points across why I deserved an adjournment and she proceeded to refuse to respresent me. She then tried to get the other duty solicitor to represent me but he refused. Lastly a solicitor that was attending court said he would represent me, had a chat with me regarding the potential outcomes, told me the best course of action and then we agreed - all in 10 minutes. Then during the hearing he really made an exceptional effort to defend me and really push my side of the story in his closing speech. Thanks to this amazing guy I received the minimum penalty which was an amazing result. I can’t thank him enough.

Due to this I would say if you’re not happy with the first duty solicitor, make it known and find someone that really has your best interests at hand.

I paid around £450-500 +VAT I think for a local one who knew the court.

Upside was he was able to keep me out of the press, which given my job title at the time they’d have been all over. Also managed to get me out of doing community service, which I really thought I was looking at.

Downside was obviously the cost, plus I’ll never know if a duty solicitor would have done better. But some things you’ll never know.

So each to their own on this one. In the main, if it’s a ‘minor’ DUI incursion I’d say the DS would usually be fine. In my case I desperately wanted to avoid a community order as it would have played havoc trying to sustain my job (which I ultimately lost anyway, but strung out a few more months at least) but more importantly being able to see my children.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off