How mich longer

Convicted Driver Insurance

Kerry80

I had my medical 3 weeks ago due to drink driving but they have now wrote to my doctors due to mental health whilst I've been banned I got diagnosed with adhd and have to take control medication does anyone know how long it takes for a desicion from my doctor and is it commen for them to write to your gp please ? I've only found this out briefly today cos I spoke to someone at dvla today ive been ringing everyday since my medical

Last edited:
I had my medical 3 weeks ago due to drink driving but they have now wrote to my doctors due to mental health whilst I've been banned I got diagnosed with adhd and have to take control medication does anyone know how long it takes for a desicion from my doctor and is it commen for them to write to your gp please ? I've only found this out briefly today cos I spoke to someone at dvla today ive been ringing everyday since my medical
It is not uncommon for them to write to GP, so do not regard this as negative. Unfortunately, they seem to take a long time to reach a decision

It is not uncommon for them to write to GP, so do not regard this as negative. Unfortunately, they seem to take a long time to reach a decision
Thank you its just been so stressful and my anxiety gets the better off me xx

Thank you its just been so stressful and my anxiety gets the better off me xx
It is extremely stressful, and I know from my own experiences, how easy it is to dwell on every single aspect of the process. This is not helped by the fact that the process in itself is so inefficient and drawn out. The best advice that I can give is to try not to overthink it ( says the woman who overthinks absolutely everything 😂), but do keep progress chasing. By this, I mean that if they are writing to GP, check that GP knows and that they receive communication, complete form etc. Then , when GP has sent it off, check DVLA has received it. A lot of paper seems to go missing / gets delayed at the DVLA, and keeping track of your case as far as you can may help.

It is extremely stressful, and I know from my own experiences, how easy it is to dwell on every single aspect of the process. This is not helped by the fact that the process in itself is so inefficient and drawn out. The best advice that I can give is to try not to overthink it ( says the woman who overthinks absolutely everything 😂), but do keep progress chasing. By this, I mean that if they are writing to GP, check that GP knows and that they receive communication, complete form etc. Then , when GP has sent it off, check DVLA has received it. A lot of paper seems to go missing / gets delayed at the DVLA, and keeping track of your case as far as you can may help.
Thank you my anxiety has been through the roof last 3 weeks not about the blood results yes I do still drink but very rarely never as been any concerns with any GPS over alcohol but now im trying to just put it to the back off my head cos its stressing me out so much 😪

Kerry

Regarding the question about your GP and timescales, I believe GP's have around 4-6 weeks to respond to DVLA correspondence, do it is sadly a waiting game.

Regarding mental health - the DVLA will look at the risk factors of how safe you are behind the wheel. That's it in a nutshell! They may consider current medication which makes you drowsy or if you have shown behaviour in the past that makes you volatile behind the wheel.

Sadly, in some isolated cases, people who have suffered severe mental health issues have used vehicles to harm themselves or others, so I am sure you will appreciate the DVLA need to make sure you are fit to drive.

I wouldn't worry about having diagnosed mental health issues. It's fair to say, millions of people in the UK suffer from their mental health with things like depression and stress and the DVLA are not necessarily going to refuse you your licence for having ADHD.

The DVLA are very much focused on drink and drug use, when dealing with HRO's so please just be mindful if your mental health is linked to either of these, the DVLA may want to ensure you have remained abstinent for X number of months.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off