How long should I be abstinent for medical test after 5 years of fairly heavy drinking?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Gladylazarus

Hi all, I’ve been drinking quite heavily for just over 5 years. I don’t drink everyday and I wouldn’t say I’m addictive. I started after my mother died. How long do I need to be abstinent for to pass the medical? Many thanks.

Hi all, I’ve been drinking quite heavily for just over 5 years. I don’t drink everyday and I wouldn’t say I’m addictive. I started after my mother died. How long do I need to be abstinent for to pass the medical? Many thanks.
Depends on your reading. Are you a HRO? What does your GP know about your relationship with alcohol?
If you struggle to control your drinking please work out that issue before taking to the roads.
I’m sorry for your loss.

Yeah I’m a HRO. I’m dead worried about the medical test. I need my licence back for my new job. I can get public transport until I get it back but I’ll have difficulty reaching remote areas. I haven’t had any drink today at all and plan to remain abstinent. I don’t get cravings as such, it’s more about wanting oblivion.

Yeah I’m a HRO. I’m dead worried about the medical test. I need my licence back for my new job. I can get public transport until I get it back but I’ll have difficulty reaching remote areas. I haven’t had any drink today at all and plan to remain abstinent. I don’t get cravings as such, it’s more about wanting oblivion.
The DVLA will want 6 or 12 months drink free. Register your abstinence with your GP and ask for LFTS to be recorded. It sounds like you will benefit from the lack of booze tbh and I’m sorry you need it as such. Just be careful what you tell your GP re dependence and abuse. The DVLA do NOT have to give you a licence back if they think you are a risk. On the flip side do not let that stop you getting the help you may need 👍🏻

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off