How long DVLA to process bloods?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Alexa27

Had my medical on Wednesday morning and was told everything would be sent off some day.

seen a few posts about people having to do 2 medicals??

How long does it take for them to receive blood results on average? Will ring them next week but have a phobia of needles and don’t want to repeat!!!

Had my medical on Wednesday morning and was told everything would be sent off some day.

How long does it take for them to receive blood results on average? Will ring them next week but have a phobia of needles and don’t want to repeat!!!
It took them 1 week to confirm receipt of the bloods and 3 weeks to confirm receipt of the questionnaire that was completed the same day as the bloods. Not sure why they’re not sent together but that was the case for me and others. Best of luck

For me, it took 13 days for everything to be received by the DVLA after my medical.
My medical was absolutely awful! Tried getting blood out my left arm for ages! Was resting on the desk going numb and turning purple 🥴 eventually decided to take the blood from my right arm, not nice at all

Last edited:
As a general rule, they say ten working days - count it as two weeks when you factor the weekends.

When the blood sample is taken, it is sent by a dispatch rider to a DVLA laboratory (it is not in Swansea - I don't know where it is!).

They then have to analyze the sample and obtain the results, which are then fed back to the Medical Team at DVLA HQ.

Because of the on-going saga with the DVLA's industrial action, this might process might take a little long than usual.

CJ

Sometimes people have to take a second test if there is an issue with their blood sample. When I got my test on 26 June, there was a guy there who had his first test about 5 weeks earlier who was contacted by the DVLA to say his sample was contaminated and he would need a second test.

Sometimes people have to take a second test if there is an issue with their blood sample. When I got my test on 26 June, there was a guy there who had his first test about 5 weeks earlier who was contacted by the DVLA to say his sample was contaminated and he would need a second test.

Mary

This is something to be very mindful of. A lot of people make the mistake of treating themselves to a 'tipple' post attending their DVLA medical, after going X number of weeks/months without alcohol.

I always strongly emphasize the importance of waiting a couple of weeks until the medical results have been confirmed by the DVLA medical team.

Worst case scenario is getting a phone call from the Swansea office asking to go back to do a second blood test asap. This is very problematic if you have had a couple of glasses of wine or a four pack of beer once the original medical appointment is done.

CJ

Sorry to be a little of a party pooper, had my medical on June 23rd and received a letter back dated the 24th of August. The letter stated they had received my medical results and they are contacting my GP and this "usually takes 4 weeks" when they receive the relevant information a decision will be made, stating "this can take some time". I never go to doctors so what they will gain I really do not know. The DVLA need to sort themselves out going on strike after all the country has been through is just not on.. I hope you have a better experience.

Sorry to be a little of a party pooper, had my medical on June 23rd and received a letter back dated the 24th of August. The letter stated they had received my medical results and they are contacting my GP and this "usually takes 4 weeks" when they receive the relevant information a decision will be made, stating "this can take some time". I never go to doctors so what they will gain I really do not know. The DVLA need to sort themselves out going on strike after all the country has been through is just not on.. I hope you have a better experience.
This sounds quite positive in terms of timescales and in terms of information exchange, although I agree it’s not quick. It took longer for me actually, and some people on here have reported significantly lengthier delays . Re the contacting of your GP it may be because you answered “ yes” to one of the questions in medical questionnaire ( I did), or it could’ve that you are a HRO and they just want to do a routine check. Either way , if I were you , I’d be contacting my GP to advise that sn enquiry is on its way .

Just spoke to dvla and they say they have the lab results. Does this mean I don’t have to worry???

I know I will pass as sober since last year. Just cannot go through another test 😭😭😭😭😭

This sounds quite positive in terms of timescales and in terms of information exchange, although I agree it’s not quick. It took longer for me actually, and some people on here have reported significantly lengthier delays . Re the contacting of your GP it may be because you answered “ yes” to one of the questions in medical questionnaire ( I did), or it could’ve that you are a HRO and they just want to do a routine check. Either way , if I were you , I’d be contacting my GP to advise that sn enquiry is on its way .
Just to keep you all up to date, contacted GP and they said they have received form from DVLA. And it takes 4 weeks to fill in even in the year 2021 absolute joke 😭🤬🤬

I had my dvla medical on the 28th Jan and waited Ll year to be sent for same medical again last week same place but dvla paid this time ,confused ?

I had my dvla medical on the 28th Jan and waited Ll year to be sent for same medical again last week same place but dvla paid this time ,confused ?
You only pay for the first medical. If there is the need for a repeat, it is ‘compliments’ of the DVLA

You only pay for the first medical. If there is the need for a repeat, it is ‘compliments’ of the DVLA
Ye I know that one ,but when I got to dvla doctor he said he couldn't understand it either ,just impatient anno but nearly 10 month of agony .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off