How long do I have to book my medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I applied for a new medical licence months ago but have yet to receive the letter asking my to book my medical.

I am going on holiday for 2 weeks and worry that it could arrive while I'm gone.

How long will I be given to book the medical after receiving the letter instructing me to do so?

Thanks!
My letter said I had 6 weeks to book my appointment

Was yours for drink driving?

I self reported as an alcoholic to the DVLA, which is the biggest mistake of my life.

I wonder if the time frame changes, depending on your situation.

I asked for the time frame initially because I'm going on holiday but I think it's clear that won't matter, so now I just want the bloody letter to come.

Knowing my luck I'll get a letter telling me that my GP hasn't bothered responding to the DVLA yet, as happened last time.

I self reported as an alcoholic to the DVLA, which is the biggest mistake of my life.

I asked for the time frame initially because I'm going on holiday but I think it's clear that won't matter, so now I just want the bloody letter to come.

Knowing my luck I'll get a letter telling me that my GP hasn't bothered responding to the DVLA yet, as happened last time.
I received my medical letter yesterday, it’s days for wait 4 days to call and 12 weeks to book the appointment, does anyone know after the medical it takes for a decision or is that a silly question! I am still feeling positive today that I am making progress towards my licence return!

I received my medical letter yesterday, it’s days for wait 4 days to call and 12 weeks to book the appointment, does anyone know after the medical it takes for a decision or is that a silly question! I am still feeling positive today that I am making progress towards my licence return!
As long as they have all the information required it’s usually within the 10 day timeframe…

Don’t worry about the 4 days call them straight away I think you’ll find an appointment will be about 2/3 weeks away, however you can put your name down for a cancellation as I have done this in the past …

I was a drink driver yes. I think the 6 weeks meant that I had to book my appointment within 6 weeks not have the actual test done within 6 weeks. I called 3 different places in the end to get my app done as quick as I could x

This has been my biggest issue as to why I have been driving under Section 88 for over a year - my GP surgery took over 6 months to reply to the DVLA letter.

CJ

This has been my biggest issue as to why I have been driving under Section 88 for over a year - my GP surgery took over 6 months to reply to the DVLA letter.

CJ
I've not been able to drive under a section 88 because my insurance expired and they refused to renew it.

I think I enjoyed about 3 weeks of driving under a section 88 but then I'd have been driving uninsured.

I called today, and have booked my medical for the 8th March, I could have done it the week before but my son is having an operation.

I called today, and have booked my medical for the 8th March, I could have done it the week before but my son is having an operation.
How long were you given to book?

I'm hoping to get mine booked immediately but that's probably unrealistic.

After my last medical, things moved much faster and I had my licence within 2 weeks.

CJ
How have you managed to get insurances for over a year if you're driving under a section 88?

A lack of insurance is what's preventing me from driving at the moment.

How have you managed to get insurances for over a year if you're driving under a section 88?

A lack of insurance is what's preventing me from driving at the moment.
You can declare that when doing the insurance quote i did when i insured one of my motorcycles

You can declare that when doing the insurance quote i did when i insured one of my motorcycles
Thanks.

I did try that but got nothing, or what I did find was priced absurdly - I can't remember exactly.

I suspect it will save me money to just be patient, wait for the DVLA medical letter and get my licence.

I've been waiting 3.5 months so far so hopefully it can't take too much longer.

I've not been able to drive under a section 88 because my insurance expired and they refused to renew it.

I think I enjoyed about 3 weeks of driving under a section 88 but then I'd have been driving uninsured.

It entirely depends on which insurance company you use. Some insurance companies are happy to accept S.88 so they are not turning away your money.

I don't actually recall there being anything raised about S.88 when I took out the policy. I disclosed the drink driving conviction, which is of course the deal breaker with most insurers.

CJ

How long ago was this?

Were you caught drink driving, or are you a problem drinker?

I think that might make a difference.

I've just found out my sister, who lives abroad is pregnant, so I would like to go out to see her.

When I do, I normally go for more than 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Don’t worry about the 4 days call them straight away I think you’ll find an appointment will be about 2/3 weeks away, however you can put your name down for a cancellation as I have done this in the past …
Sorry to bother you again, but were you caught drink driving or did the DVLA have you down as a problem drinker?

I am wondering if that makes a difference to the length of time your given - as you can see from others' posts, they've been given 6 weeks to book.

I've just found out my sister is pregnant and she lives in the middle east.

I'd like to visit but I normally do so for a couple of months at a time.

I wouldn't go for as long as 12 weeks but 8 weeks is the plan, so if I get a letter saying I have 6 weeks to book then I assume I'll get banned for failing to book my appointment within the stated time.

Sorry to bother you again, but were you caught drink driving or did the DVLA have you down as a problem drinker?

I am wondering if that makes a difference to the length of time your given - as you can see from others' posts, they've been given 6 weeks to book.

I've just found out my sister is pregnant and she lives in the middle east.

I'd like to visit but I normally do so for a couple of months at a time.

I wouldn't go for as long as 12 weeks but 8 weeks is the plan, so if I get a letter saying I have 6 weeks to book then I assume I'll get banned for failing to book my appointment within the stated time.
Its normally 12 weeks if applying after a DUI ban you could always phone the dvla and explain the situation.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off