How long do I have to book my medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Pane123

Well Known Member
I applied for a new medical licence months ago but have yet to receive the letter asking my to book my medical.

I am going on holiday for 2 weeks and worry that it could arrive while I'm gone.

How long will I be given to book the medical after receiving the letter instructing me to do so?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome, you will be given 12 weeks from the date of your letter…so plenty of time …

Hi and welcome, you will be given 12 weeks from the date of your letter…so plenty of time …
Thanks a lot!

12 weeks is a ridiculous length of time 😂.

I don't plan to but does that not mean I could get absolutely hammered for a couple of nights and pass no problem?

This whole process has been a disgrace yet again.

My licence expired at the end of October and I have twins due, so I want to be able to take my fiancé to the appointments and do the shopping etc. for her.

I feel awful that she has to do all the driving and I just cannot get through to the DVLA on the phone, despite 50+ attempts.

Sorry to bother you again but is this the case even with self reported problem drinkers?

I can't remember the timescale last year - I booked ASAP and will do so again - but I don't think it was as long as 12 weeks.

My worry is that clinics are now facing a backlog, so the time has been extended.

Thanks a lot!

12 weeks is a ridiculous length of time 😂.

I don't plan to but does that not mean I could get absolutely hammered for a couple of nights and pass no problem?

This whole process has been a disgrace yet again.

My licence expired at the end of October and I have twins due, so I want to be able to take my fiancé to the appointments and do the shopping etc. for her.

I feel awful that she has to do all the driving and I just cannot get through to the DVLA on the phone, despite 50+ attempts.
The Dvla medical cdt will look for heavy drinking for the past month or longer, if you continually drink 4/5 beers per night this is likely to show up in your medical and could result in a refusal, however if you don’t abuse alcohol you should be fine, but if you are classed as dependent or misuse it’s a good idea to abstain altogether if you want your licence back ….

Sorry to bother you again but is this the case even with self reported problem drinkers?

I can't remember the timescale last year - I booked ASAP and will do so again - but I don't think it was as long as 12 weeks.

My worry is that clinics are now facing a backlog, so the time has been extended.
Yes there is a horrendous wait at the moment with Dvla, my guess is as good as anybody’s….

The Dvla medical cdt will look for heavy drinking for the past month or longer, if you continually drink 4/5 beers per night this is likely to show up in your medical and could result in a refusal, however if you don’t abuse alcohol you should be fine, but if you are classed as dependent or misuse it’s a good idea to abstain altogether if you want your licence back ….
Yeh, I think I read that 4 beers a night will start elevating CDT levels after a couple of weeks.

I'm an alcoholic so total abstinence is the only option for me.

Anything else and my life will fall apart, and a licence will be the least of my worries!

I'm not the kind of drinker who could do 4 beers a night, anyway.

The old adage, "1 is too many and 100 ain't enough" applies to me perfectly.

Thanks again for your help!

Yeh, I think I read that 4 beers a night will start elevating CDT levels after a couple of weeks.

I'm an alcoholic so total abstinence is the only option for me.

Anything else and my life will fall apart, and a licence will be the least of my worries!

I'm not the kind of drinker who could do 4 beers a night, anyway.

The old adage, "1 is too many and 100 ain't enough" applies to me perfectly.

Thanks again for your help!
Lol 😂 I love it , your welcome sometimes we could do with a bit of humour around here 👍

I phoned the DVLA today to check if they’d received my D1 and was put through to a lady in the medical department. She said they’d sent out a letter on Monday about taking a medical and I’m sure she said that I’ve only got 4 days to either book it or take it ((not sure which). I just hope I misheard but she said it several times about “you have 4 days”. Does that sound right? I’m hoping the letter arrives tomorrow.

I phoned the DVLA today to check if they’d received my D1 and was put through to a lady in the medical department. She said they’d sent out a letter on Monday about taking a medical and I’m sure she said that I’ve only got 4 days to either book it or take it ((not sure which). I just hope I misheard but she said it several times about “you have 4 days”. Does that sound right? I’m hoping the letter arrives tomorrow.
When did you send the D1 form off

When did you send the D1 form off
28th December, exactly 90 days before my ban is up. The lady told me which medical place to go to, I can do it in 4 days if they have an appointment but it just seems a very slim window if that’s right. I must’ve misunderstood, hopefully the letter will arrive tomorrow and explain all.

28th December, exactly 90 days before my ban is up. The lady told me which medical place to go to, I can do it in 4 days if they have an appointment but it just seems a very slim window if that’s right. I must’ve misunderstood, hopefully the letter will arrive tomorrow and explain all.
If you could provide an update when you do get the letter it would be much appreciated!

4 days isn't enough warning to book it, never mind take it!

What if someone is on holiday for 2 weeks, like me?

I've been waiting since mid-October so it would be beyond belief if they keep me waiting 3-4 months (and counting), then expect me to jump as soon as they eventually decide to clap.

Last edited:
What the lady meant at the dvla is once you've received the letter to book your medical wait 4 days to book your appointment. The letter gets sent to the nominated surgery at the same time so the 4 days gives time for the letter arrive to them so they have all your details

What the lady meant at the dvla is once you've received the letter to book your medical wait 4 days to book your appointment. The letter gets sent to the nominated surgery at the same time so the 4 days gives time for the letter arrive to them so they have all your details
Just got the letter and just as you said, I have to book the appointment “at least 4 working days after you receive the letter” and then call the DVLA medical appointment line to give them the details of when it is. So the next step begins…

Just got the letter and just as you said, I have to book the appointment “at least 4 working days after you receive the letter” and then call the DVLA medical appointment line to give them the details of when it is. So the next step begins…
Yeah thought so. I didn't wait 4 days though, it can't hurt to give them a call Monday and try and book it. Every day saved is a bonus!

So do you have 12 weeks to book it?

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure it wasn't as long as that last year.

I'm just worried that they've extended the time because of backlogs at clinics, too!

So do you have 12 weeks to book it?

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure it wasn't as long as that last year.

I'm just worried that they've extended the time because of backlogs at clinics, too!
They haven’t extended the time . It was 12 weeks 2 years ago when I had mine . The reason for the 4 days is to give time for the paperwork to be received by the examining Dr . My advice is to progress chase at all stages .

They haven’t extended the time . It was 12 weeks 2 years ago when I had mine . The reason for the 4 days is to give time for the paperwork to be received by the examining Dr . My advice is to progress chase at all stages .
I've tried, believe me.

I just don't understand how anyone gets through to them; I've been trying about 3 times a day for months and haven't even been put in a queue.

All I'm told is that they're busy and to try again later.

It's infuriating!

4 Days is nonscene - she's talking out of her backside. You have 12 weeks to get the DVLA medical booked in.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off